Remember how large the Transformers appeared when we were kids?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Prowl, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember buying the re-release to Prowl at Toys R Us and wondering why he looked like a Minibot to me, after not having seen the toy for over 20 years. Then I saw a Metroplex at a comic store and remembered not being able to sit him on my desk at school because he was gigantic. It's funny how the delux Transformers of the time appeared to be huge. I imagine if we had Masterpiece Prime back then, he would appear the size of a person.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I was working at a KB Toys when 20th Anniversary Prime started to hit stores. A dude comes in looking for "the new Optimus Prime that was the size of the one I had as a kid." When I asked him how big he remembered Prime being, he motioned about a foot high with his hands.

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

This probably has something to do with the fact that a lot of people on this forum love leader class.

Meanwhile I think that the only leader class figures should be combiners and baseformers. There's no reason to have a gigantic camaro.

4. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    By far the best memory for me was struggling to take Fortress Maximus' box off the shelf at toys r us, then into the shopping cart, then out of the shopping cart, then into the car trunk. Absolutely MASSIVE and my dad did not help me one bit as he wanted me to "earn" and appreciate what he just bought me.

I unboxed him at home and I DISTINCTLY remember that fort max came up to my waist. The toy was literally half my height at the time, and heavy as fuck.

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Maybe that's exaggerating it a bit....but yeah G1 Prime is no taller than your average ROTF voyager.

6. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

I remeber looking at my G1 metroplex and lugging him around in my backpack as giant massive toy , looking at him today not so big...

7. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can't tell you how many people come over and say the same thing about mine.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    One of the things I absolutely loved about Transformers was the diversity of scales between them. You go from the average minibot, to something big like optimus, to something enormous like Devastator, to something unbelievably huge like Metroplex.

You don't get that so much anymore.

Let alone something inconceivably massive like Fortress Maximus.

9. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got encore Jazz a year or 2 ago and was surprised to see how small he was. Just have to remember that you were alot smaller back then, too.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

When I first watched Transformers and had the few TF figures I had, I was probably somewhere from 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall.

I'm 5'10" now.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah, It wasn't until BW where they have the original size classes that we have today. Like Basics/Scouts, Deluxe, Voyager/Mega, Ultra, Leader, Supreme and the rare Ultimate something.

12. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I remember being quite bewildered by Hound's tiny stature, and more generally somewhat frustrated at the lack of consistent height between the Autobot cars.

Overall though, few of them seemed 'big' to me.

Mostly, all i got was Minibots. Do i sound bitter much?

13. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

It's funny for me because the ones I had as a kid that I have now really don't look too different to me. The ones I didn't have though look much smaller than I thought they'd be. This includes the G1 Autobot cars and some of the combiners like Piranacon.

14. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I remember prediking being huge as a kid. Its funny how small he is now.

15. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I was the same, although I mostly got nobodies like Sparkabots and Throttlebots. And before that, gobots. One time I asked for Ultra Magnus for Christmas and got Rest-Q instead.

But those were the entry level, that was the standard against which size was judged. I remember getting figures like Grimlock and Onslaught, and those seemed like big guys to me. I'd put his Bruticus armour on the figure and try to imagine how huge he was(never did complete Bruticus). And when I ultimately got Overlord, he just seemed really towering and impressive.

But today you see people talking about deluxe class as if that's small. And yet G1 Optimus was about the size of a deluxe, and that was never a problem. While they can't do anything as big as Fort Max anymore, the size of the average bot seems to have increased, and as a result you don't get the same range of contrasts in scale.

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't think anybody here is criticizing size classes here. The thread is more about perceptions of toys from when we were kids, like when you were three and thought you dad was taller than a redwood.

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I'm with VM 01 on this. I think the sense of scale between say a minibot and something like Metroplex made it seem that much bigger.

I'd prefer to see the larger class sizes used for real giants, rather than just a popularity contest.

18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Well remember Gobots came out first and they were all about 31/2 inches tall. So when Prime, Soundwave, Megatron etc came to stores, they were the S600 to Gobots Ford Taurus.

19. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Good news, iGear is making a human shrink ray so that your toys can appear larger to you

20. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

But their shrink ray is a size class smaller than the Hasbro version.