Releasing BEAST WARS with restored CGI?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Sep 29, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    BEAST WARS is one of the best shows of the TF saga, and the only problem with it in today’s times is its dated CGI (some friends who rewatched it said it looked like something from Ibiza – which I didn’t get at first, and am not sure I agree with).

But still, can/should the CGI be restored or retouched to improve its visual appeal for today’s viewers? It’s not an unprecedented thing: STAR WARS had its VFX fixed, and DBZ was released as DB Kai, both having things edited/fixed to make it more visually appealing to today’s viewers. But would such a practice be possible, or even necessary?

2. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You are proposing an complete redoing of the series sans voices. That would require so much effort that it is effectively the same as making a brand new series.

So, no. I don't foresee this happening.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Okay. I like the 90s CGI look, anyway, I don't have issues with it. It's rather like comparing hand-drawn with CGI: it shouldn't really be done, both are just fine and respective of their era.

4. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    I think the CGI looks fine. It's a bit sketchy in Season 1, but it's really not as bad as people say. It's certainly better than Energon and Cybertron.

5. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    season 1 was the only season where it wasn't great. the rest of the series was very well-animated.

6. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

Maybe Id actually like watching it then.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I still find the CGI from BW to be much better then some CCI on later series. Like the new TMNT series, several CGI shows on Nick, and Transformers Cybertron. Beast Wars being from the 90's still blows them off the map.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'm pretty sure what information about "Beast Hunters" we've been able to find is that it will be a Prime version of Beast Wars.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I personally like all that early CGI. Sure, it looks bad by today's standards, but the CGI "dates" the show - which is fine in my book. Watching it also makes me think back to how stuff like that was slowly improving (lighting, bump mapping, textures, etc.....).

It's just like old video games, IMO. Yeah, the graphics in Metroid or The Legend Of Zelda, for example, suck compared to today's games. But I still LOVE them and like playing them.

11. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I don't know. The cheating and clipping for transformations would probably move from accepted and unimportant to obtrusive with updated graphics :p 

12. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i know, right? why watch shows for the plot or characters when it just has to look pretty?

must be why you've got such an arcee fetish, i guess.

13. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    It's fine the way it is.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    what your proposing would require all of the existing CGI be tosses and completely new CGI done.

This too expensive and I feel the Beast Wars CGI has held up pretty well.

15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I don't mind the cg in beast wars. But I also don't mind playing old 3d games.
    I would not mind seeing a cell shaded cg transformers series.it sounds weird but I love the look of wind waker and boarderlands.

16. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

This idea, however novel it seems, would require far more effort than you would think it would.
    First of all, most of the hero characters in Beast Wars are Mammalian and as such have a good amount of hair on their beast modes (Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Rhinox, Silverbolt, Rattrap). Anyone that has ever worked on 3D animation can tell you animating hair is a pain in the ass. It's one of the reasons why RedXIII and Cait Sith don't contribute much in Advent Children. It's also one of the reasons why many of the animation outtakes on Shrek feature Princess Fiona and her hair acting crazy.
    Second of all, even with the majority of the characters having Beast modes that aren't hairy beasts (IE Tyrannosaurs, Spiders, Velociraptors, Wasps, among others) The new animators would still have to figure out how to animate these animals in a humanoid fashion while they're in their respective beast modes (Raptors can't grasp discs in their bird-like forelimbs. Long-flat Doorhandles, maybe, but not golden discs.)

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I think Energon and Cybertron were mostly cell shaded, and we all know how Energon ended up.

18. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    "It's just the two raptors, right? Are you sure the third one's contained?"

"Yeah, unless they figure out how to open doors."

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Personally I think Beast Wars still stands up quite well. There's some bits which are a little ropey but the later episodes are phenomenally well done and look fantastic even now. Plus the storytelling manages to compensate nicely. I don't think a redo is needed when that effort could be going on new content.

20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    You can't "restore" dated CGI, you'd have to completely redo it from scratch. Live-action and animated features aren't really comparable since those restorations aren't anywhere near as involved.

Besides, I have a terrible feeling whoever does update BW ('official' company or group of fans) would miss a lot of the subtle visual gags and nuances and/or take forever to go through the whole series and probably never finish and/or, worse of all, decide to "correct" things that don't need correcting.