Reissuing Everything On Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Strikeback, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

So now that HD is gone and Blu-ray is king, does that mean that everything that was HD-DVD exclusive--particularly stuff from Dreamworks/Paramount and some of the early Warner Bros. stuff like Batman Begins--will eventually be reissued in the Blu-ray format? I've looked online and at work, but there hasn't been anything that I've seen about putting these out on Blu-ray. I mean, if we can get a movie like Mystery Men on Blu-ray, why not Beowulf?

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Because it takes time and HD-DVD hasint been dead all that long. I'm sure we'll see all these out on blu ray once studios like Paramount have had a chance to regroup.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Batman Begins will be released in July I think. Warner has also announced the Matrix movies which were HD DVD exclusives as well as others.

Universal and Paramount have not made any official release announcements, but I sure we can expect them.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Give it time... everything will come eventually.

5. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Eventually most if not all of the HD DVD exclusives will find their way to Blu-Ray, yes.

As an HD DVD backer, I have to say that even though the format lost I've made out really well. I got in to the game for cheap ($179) last fall with the xBox HD DVD add-on, and Amazon just gave me $50 back for my troubles. With 25 HD DVD titles under my belt, I wanted to maintain backwards compatibility while I migrated to Blu-Ray and was able to pick up a Samsung combo player that does both for just $448; pretty darn reasonable considering a player that just does Blu-Ray costs around $400. With backwards compatibility, I've been able to take advantage of some great clearance deals on HD DVD titles, and perhaps more importantly don't have to wait months/years for HD DVD exclusives to find their way to Blu-Ray. I'd be going crazy right now if I couldn't have Transformers in HD :p 

6. Starkenator

Starkenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

I wonder if they plan on adding anything to the BR versions on the HD DVD movies as they now have more space to add to...

and what sucks is ever since HD DVD died, there havent been a good BR sale...only seen $5 off at the most. Luckly i bought Pirates II & III for $20 when it was on sale.

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

the question that I have is are all of the older movies that were put onto dvd now going to be reissued again in blue ray?

9. Cory Bauer

Many, yes. But it's important for the studios to do a new film transfer, and some cleaning up, for the picture to look any better. Before buying any film on HD DVD or Blu-Ray, I make sure to check the video and audio ratings at sites like hidefdigest.com or hddvd.org to make sure the studios didn't go the cheap and dirty route.

Mostly though, I consider Blu-Ray as a format for all new releases from this point forward; most old films won't get a great new transfer unless they're a classic (like Blade Runner did last year).

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, like they did with the first releases of Full Metal Jacket and The Fifth Element....$35 for something that was basically a DVD version on BR/HD DVD (whichever it was on)

11. Cory Bauer

Exactly. Robocop was another stinker of a release in terms of picture/audio quality. And sometimes the source material just never looked that sharp to begin with, so even a pristine transfer and remastering can't help some films. It's always good to check the scores before punking down the cash, especially at the $30-$40 absurd prices Blu-Ray's are commanding.

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I know Amazon.com had buy two get one free just this past week.

*edit* Barns and Noble are having a similar deal. Here's the deets.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...e_at_Amazon_(Update:_Barnes_&_Noble_Too)/1636

13. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check out www.blu-rayboxsets.com too,

Their search engine scours Amazon retailers & gives you the cheapest price on all titles. (Prices fluctuate all the time, depending on the seller, so it's a good idea to check back often.)

That's where I buy all my BR movies. :thumb 

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yay, the Chronic-WHAT-cles of Narnia May 13th.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Being a Disney release, that should have very impressive picture and audio quality.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If anyone has seen Robocop on BR, do the bits that were cut from the theatrical release look as bad compared to the rest of the film as they did on DVD?

17. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Not the extended cut though. :crazy: