Reissue Vs. Original

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blitzkrieg, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Supreme Leader

I was doing some thinking today, and I was wondering what everybody thinks about the Reissue TF'ers out there; for a smaller amount, you can have a brand new reissue that is in a fresh new box, figure is mint, etc, etc. I bought the Takara Encore Ironhide & Ratchet for 26 bucks, not each for both. I was looking at the Encore Bruticus, and it's much cheaper than an orginal. Don't get me wrong, I want to add original TF'ers to my collection if I can get them, but if I can't, I think a reissue is just as good. Comments?, Opinions?.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me if its an official product, a reissue is as good as the official product. Besides, the original may suffer from "wear and tear" issues. If you plan to open up the toys, then reissues would be a better choice.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Original>Reissue

I love reissues but nothing beats an original.

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Since I consider the samples in my G1 collection as museum pieces, only originals will do for me. But I'm just silly that way. Reissues are great for collectors that don't find any extra appeal to originals.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. AMG

AMG Old School

For me nothing beats an original, but reissues are a nice option to have.

6. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just wanted the decepticon combiner in boxes. Devastator is the only original I have in box because there hasnt been a reissue aside from the KO. I got the Predaking 04 Reissue, Piranacon BBTS reissue, Encore Bruticus. I have an original G1 Menasor in a KO box. So I dont mind if they are reissues, biggest issue for me is if they have the box.

7. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    As said above, reissues are great but clean/minty originals are more valuable and collectible so that = better. I didn't have the problem of having to track down nice vintage G1s, as I still had all my favorite childhood toys, but if it's available in reissue and hard to find a clean one for a reasonable price a reissue works great.

I have this dilemma with G1 Jazz, he is one of the few I need that has a reissue. Problem is many vintage white ones are yellowed and I don't want old looking toys. It sucks to be picky.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Originals are nice but when I was trying to rebuild my childhood collection ten (or so) years ago there was no way in hell I was going to pay somuch money for an original when I could go to TRU and buy a replacement Prowl, Jazz, Tracks, etc. Reissues are just fine for my collection.

9. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    If your obsessive you may have every release under the sun on 1 character including the reissues and knockoff and 3rd parties.

I prefer Original but having a Reissue is nice for comparison. I recently acquired TRU Smokescreen G1 reissue and while searching for an Original G1 Smokescreen I noticed that other than the hood paint/sticker difference, there is the inner door window color and the side window color bleed.

[​IMG]Photos courtesy of TFW2005

10. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I have that reissue also, they were on clearance at TRU at the time so I picked him up. He's cool, but not a real important character for me so I never would have bought a vintage one. So glad I have the reissue though!

11. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So far I only have G1 & G2. I haven't purchased a reissue, but I'd like to get at least one to see it. But when it comes to the collection, the G1s are priority because that's what got it all started and I played with 'em as a kid. I personally don't mind some minor paint/chrome wear (not so much joint wear) to the G1s... I think it adds character.

12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Originals for me, I have some reissues (Omega Supreme, Megs, Optimus, some autobots cars, Insecticons, Starscream and others) and they are ok, but the quality of the originals toys are insuperable, just compare the reissue Tracks or Silverstreak vs the originals.

13. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    When I first got back into collecting last year I started with all the TRU reissues (which I have MISB)...Now that I've been able to acquire all of them I caught the collecting bug, and am going after all the OG G1...

Lots of money spent, but it's been a fun trip full of nostalgia....

So, for me, both have a place in my collection.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Or can't afford the originals. The reissues tend to be considerably cheaper than the originals although some of the rarer reissues are becoming even rarer and the prices go up.

15. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Eamus Catuli!

I like both personally; originals are great when they're not too steep or in good enough condition, but the reissues are a LOT more affordable, plus they're minty and I get the fun of putting the stickers on.

The originals will always have a place in my heart, but I'd not complain one bit if the entire g1 line got reissued.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unless there's a serious problem with the reissue, I'm perfectly happy to take a reissue over the original figure. And when I say 'serious' problem, I mean something like significant mold degradation, not that the colours aren't exactly right or the missiles are longer or whatever. If it's a figure I'd like, I just want a copy of it and I'm not too picky whether I get a vintage one or a reissue.

The main appeal for reissues for me is that I can count on a reissue to be complete, come with the stickers, have no yellowing, have tight joints and no chrome wear. While it is possible to find vintage items that fit those parameters, it's far more difficult and they tend to be more expensive. Granted, Reprolabels does help a lot with that; I don't think I'd buy nearly as much vintage stuff if I couldn't get Reprolabels to replace the damaged stickers which, IMO, is one of the major things that takes away from the appearance of a toy.

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Whichever one is the best quality at the best price. Usually it's been reissues for me as I can't afford the price of most original MIB 1980's figures.
    But nothing beats an original. Same can be said for movies.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like reissues (official ones) since I could never afford to drop the cash some folks do on originals.

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Original is always nice if its in good condition. So original is better based on condition which is a worry for original.

20. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i dont need it to be original to be happy. reissue is fine, and if its done very well even knock offs or other 3rd party stuff is great. ill probably get a KO G1 green devestator next.