Reissue question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lbsammills51, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew if Takara/Hasbro had any plans or ability to reissue the G1 figures of Sunstreaker, Ramjet and Thrust? Dirge has had a reissue already so Ramjet shouldn't be too hard, though I can understand if Thrust is tricky because of the rotor things on the wings. Sunstreaker shouldn't be too difficult either. Many other figures that are repaints of the same molds that have survived the years have been reissued (in some cases, multiple times through Takara Collection, Takara Encore and Hasbro Commemorative) so I was hoping these figures might be a little different than figures I asked about earlier (Shockwave and the Dinobots). Considering Hoist was reissued earlier, and will be again along with a Trailbreaker reissue in tow, I was wondering if I should hold out and see if Sunstreaker, Ramjet and/or Thrust can be thrown out there again rather than hunt for more pricey (but worthwhile) originals.

2. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

You'll never know.They pulled out Metroplex,but no Trypticon.But yeah,I mean,Sunstreaker is a pretty famous character,so no surprise.

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Sunstreaker I'm not sure of the status of, but Ramjet and Thrust have already been reissued as either eHobby or convention exclusives (can't remember which but I'm sure Nevermore or someone will correct me :lol ), so I imagine they're not out of the question.

4. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Are you assuming that Sunstreaker is a repaint of Sideswipe? Cos he isn't, and the mold is lost.

5. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Yes, we have been told since 2002 or 2003 when the Bookstyle reissues came out that Wheeljack, Sunstreaker,Mirage and some others I dont remember right now, that their molds were either lost or destroyed. Ramjet and Thrust, I wouldnt be surprise if they are announce them as the next reissues, given that we have Ironhide/ratchet, ThunderC /Skywarp and TRailbreaker/Hoist, that were released as exclusives in the past.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  6. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah okay, I see. Thanks to all for the info. I'll hold off on Ramjet and Thrust then but may have to hunt an original Sunstreaker down sometime next year.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge were sold as convention exclusiv. Packed in e-hobby boxes.

Sunstreaker mold gone.

8. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I felt the same way about Sunstreaker. I ended up buying a like-new minty vintage one on eBay a couple weeks ago for a pretty affordable price (approximately the going price for most sealed Takara Collection cars). Accessories complete and surprisingly no paint chipping on any metal parts with great chrome!

9. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

theres always the KO route as the molds got "lost" into the hands of people currently bbootlegging G1's

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    just make sure you dident buy a KO.

I am always hesitent when it comes to Wheeljack and Sunstreak that are loose and perfect without paint chpping as that is common on all loose Wheeljack and sunstreakers. If it is a real one then congrats but would check just to be sure.

11. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Hmm.. good point. I know there is a Wheeljack KO out. But is there a Sunstreaker KO out now too? I've only heard of KO boxes for the Sunstreaker, but not the actual figure itself.

12. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara saying they won't/can't reissue Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, and Mirage is simply a cop-out. Both Wheeljack and Mirage have been remade by some fly-by-nite Chinese company as KO's, and they look pretty good. With Takara's better QC, they'd be outstanding. Instead, they simply choose not to, which is a shame. They we able to salvage Jazz and Soundwave after all. Reverse engineering a toy is viable and still be able to make a profit. I mean, reissues of Sunstreaker and Wheeljack for the same price as Jazz will rake in a LOT of money since demand for those two alone is so high. Minus the cost of remolding, they'll still make a profit.

I would settle for a recolored yellow Sideswipe and call it "Sunstreaker" though. Wouldn't be the same, but it would be better than nothing I suppose.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As others have said, I expect to see Ramjet and Thrust reissued soon. On a point of trivia, these two were lined up by Hasbro for "Commemorative Series" reissue in 2005, but the line in the US was canned.

Sunstreaker... well, they've taken the stance that he can't be reissued due to mould loss for a long time now. But it's amazing what an anniversary - like, oh I don't know, say the 25th - can do to energise a company into suddenly finding a way to do something they'd previously said was impossible....

14. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really hope they reissue Ramjet. He's the only seeker I have left to buy. (Besides Sunstorm, but I have him preordered.)

15. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me too! Part of me was thinking that would be what would happen if the mold were lost; Takara offer a 'take it or leave it' approach and sell a yellow Sideswipe as Sunstreaker.

I'll have my fingers crossed...and I wasn't aware, as has been touched on in other posts, that the people who make the knockoffs had gotten ahold of some of the molds, or at least potentially have. That's embarrassing. Considering the army of collectors who would gobble up reissues of characters that were thought impossible to produce, you'd think Takara/Hasbro would make a little extra effort to reclaim 'lost' molds or to recreate/reverse-engineer original molds and sell them to all of us who scour eBay for complete G1s. If we're willing to shell $100-200+ (or more) for an original, we wouldn't pay $30-50 (or more) for a complete reissue in the box? As you said, maybe the 25th anniversary could spur some people to do something...

Me too. I preordered Sunstorm as well, and tend to pick up any of the Seekers that show up in lines I buy (G1, movie, animated, Classics, other). If you don't count the Masterpieces, I have all of the ones that have been made except potential Ramjet and Thrust reissues.

16. Incesticon

Incesticon Beet Gugal

There is a yellow Sideswipe available called 'Tigertrack'. I believe he's an Ehobby exclusive. Expensive too!

17. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't they once say the mold for Hound was gone?? If so, I guess there's always hope, seeing how we finally got a Hound reissue.