Reissue Chances for G1 Mirage, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MetroSupreme, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MetroSupreme

MetroSupreme Member

I think those are the only three molds of the original G1 Autobot Car line that Takara haven't reissued in any way.

Does anybody have any information on whether or not these are even possible? Molds active/destroyed/have to be reverse-molded?

Just curious. Trying to complete my G1 1984-1986 reissue collection is rough ;) 

Never thought I'd see Omega Supreme... EVER... with the licensing issue.

Then presto... Encore Omega!

So anything's possible, I guess.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I could be wrong, but I think they were three of the molds that got destroyed in the one fire, along with the Dinobots. Personally, I'd rather get updated versions of them. Mirage and Sunstreaker already have new molds. Wheeljack's the only one out of the three that hasn't yet. You might have to try and find origionals in decent shape or something.

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

4. Sunstorm's Wrath

Sunstorm's Wrath Active Member

They can remake the molds, it's just that there's less profit in doing that than reissuing figures that already have molds. Therefore, we aren't likely to see them until after everything else has been reissued, and then only if a reissue line is still going (never understood why TFC was cancelled only to have Encore).

5. MetroSupreme

MetroSupreme Member

Where would I find these 'new molds' of Mirage and Sunstreaker?

I find it odd that a third party individual/group could reverse engineer these molds, but Takara can't ;) 

They may with the Encore line. Who knows? I wish they announced Encore plans more than two months out at a time :D 

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Making new toys is a more profitable use of Hasbro's resources. Those who make knock offs aren't bound by the fact that safety regulations are more stringent than 20 years ago, or quality control.

As for Sunstreaker and Mirage

Look up Classics Sunstreaker and Classics Mirage.

7. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

They are easy to find anyway, I want more japanese reissues like Masterforce toys, or Victory.

8. MetroSupreme

MetroSupreme Member

I actually buy Takara reissues, not Hasbro.

Which wouldn't matter, except that doesn't Takara spearhead all of the G1 stuff, with Hasbro simply licensing it? I thought all the G1 molds and toys came from Takara first, with Hasbro licensing it from them.

Or is it Hasbro's work that Takara then issues?

I can understand Hasbro not reverse engineering... but I can't see Takara flat-out refusing it. G1 reissues seem to be a big market in Japan.

Again, unless all these molds belong to Hasbro, but I thought they were in Takara's stable.

I looked up the 'Classics' Sunstreaker and Mirage on Ebay, and they don't look anything like the G1 toys. Maybe I found the wrong spin-off line ;) 

And don't take this the wrong way or anything - not intended to be rude at all - but if you're the kind of person who says "I'd rather have a new mold," then you're not the kind of collector that I am. I'm all about G1, metal, rubber, clunky, and old-school. Classic or nothing for me. I don't do (or want) any spinoffs, remakes, new ideas, or non-G1 toys.

I just want good ole' G1 reissues (or originals, but misb they'll kill you ;) .

I understand that crusty old sailors like us are a rare breed ;)  Nothing against TF fans of other stripes!

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    With the way this year has gone, I have no idea where the Encore line will go next. Or if it will even continue. It's anyone's guess. I am loving the variety: motorized big dudes, basebots, Minibot and Seeker sets, a refurbished Jazz mold. Makes me happy. :) 

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Last I heard they were confirmed to have been destroyed. As for their "too soon to talk about" comment, we don't know what line he could end up in, and even then, their current plans could get changed or even canceled. I'm hoping he does get at least a retool/repaint of the Sunstreaker mold, even better if he gets a new mold entirely, but until we hear more about him, I wouldn't count it as saying we'll be getting one. From what I know the question was just about Wheeljack in general, and didn't say any specific line.

11. MetroSupreme

MetroSupreme Member

This implies that the Encore line is not selling well, or Takara/Tomy are in a financial bind?

Don't panic me ;)  After the (what amounts to) cancellation of the stellar Collectibles/book-style line, they'd better keep Encore going!

Heads will ROLL!

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hard to say, but I expected to have heard by now what was up after Metroflex. They have Henkei releases already scheduled through November with Ratchet. Maybe they are spacing out the Encore releases so as not to compete for collector dollars with MP Thundercracker or the smaller Alternity.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  13. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:

^this

Wish Hasbro would give my wallet a break :lol 

14. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A good stand-in Wheeljack is either Energon or Cybertron Downshift. Surprised they didn't modify Cybertron Downshift into Evil Donwshift during Botcon...

15. Sunstorm's Wrath

Sunstorm's Wrath Active Member

If Encore keeps going, and if they release a seeker 3-pack with Thrust, Dirge, and Ramjet, I think an awesome follow-up release would be a Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, and Mirage reverse mold 3-pack. Or vice-versa. As far as Takara having the molds and rights to make molds for G1, and Hasbro licensing them, I remember TRU G1 reissues that did not appear in the Takara TFC line. Skywarp, Thundercracker, Dirge, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Grapple, and Red Alert. Although I guess the only mold that Takara didn't use is Trailbreaker's. Also, wasn't a Sunstreaker reissue planned for a TRU exclusive just before it got cancelled? I remember them coming in 3s, and Sunstreaker was supposed to come out with Astrotrain and Sideswipe.

16. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Any idea why wheeljack is so expensive? After all, both him and Sunstreaker haven't got an reissue yet, and both have quite a few accessories which can get easily lost. However wheeljack's price is almost 2x of the sunstreaker.

17. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Wheeljack's got alot working against him.

1. a very breakable windshield (see also every other Diaclone car)
    2. white plastic that yellows (see Prowl/Jazz/Jetfire)
    3. removable wings and spoiler
    4. has not been reissued since 1990/1991 (Euro Classics)

18. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about wheeljack, I never saw a yellowed one.

I've seen plenty of yellowed Jazz/Prowl/Jetfire, but never a yellowed wheeljack.

I bought a g1 lot from a seller couple month ago, all his toys have been heavily exposed to the sunlight. So everything is yellowed/discolored, except wheeljack. The only thing yellowed on him is the windshield, weird huh.

19. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is tons of speculations about these three figures. One of them I heard is that the mold was destroyed or lost. The other one is that these three figures would not pass the safety tests by today's standards.

In terms of Wheeljack being expensive, it is might be that the parts are so easy to lose and they make the figure expensive particularly when it is complete. The figure can yellow quite a bit.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If Takara reissues them in the Encore line, today's U.S. toy safety standards wouldn't be an issue. The changes Hasbro had to make to get G1 reissues released a couple of years back changed most of them for the worse, in my mind. Stuff like no chrome on Grapple's hook, springs out of missile launchers, etc. took away some of the nostalgia.