reign of starscream issue 5 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GENOZAUR, Aug 28, 2008.

1. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

when it comes to reign of starscream issue 5 i got a question when it comes to that teaser add when it comes to the storyline thats coming out this december

is it by any chance the covenant storyline or whatever the story will be titled that covers the original 13 and the fallen?

2. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the teaser you mentioned but if it's what I think it is, you're referring to Transformers: Destiny, it's another movie-verse set of comics which lead up to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. They'll be written by Chris Mowry as well.

The "13" thing is a sort of Transformers origin story written by Simon Furman which is expected to start in '09 I believe.
    On that note, this thread will probably be moved to the comics discussion section of the boards.

3. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i was under the impression that the storyline that would cover the the origins of the original 13 cybertronians who as the first living generation were the keepers of the covenant of primus was a storyline that would be tied into the main idwverse

4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    If we're talking about reign of Starscream 5, i still don't know about issue 4.

5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Issue 4 came out on August 13. Issue 5 came out this week (August 27).

As I recall, IDW has two different books in the works... The first, as LemonPrime said, is called "Transformers: Destiny" and will be both a prequel to the next movie and a sequel to "Reign of Starscream" and is said that it'll cover the Fallen's background.

The other book that'll cover the Original 13 isn't connected to the movie-verse at all. As you said, it'll be a part of IDW's continuity.

6. Omega Charge

News Credits:
    Yeah. I still need to read that one.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Tenuous connection, actually. Simon Furman talked about it at Auto Assembly really briefly, no really new info on it, but he did make it sound like The Fallen is meant to be the same guy as in the Movie or at least consistent with his portrayal there.

Probably more of a thing where he has certain common features than outright being the same guy, but who knows until it is published? Maybe there was no multiverse at that time and the whole story is about how some big accident caused reality to fragment into a multiverse.

8. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked this, but I wish that there was some sort of loose thread or something to follow up on in ROTF, maybe Wreckage from issue 4 or the human made Transformers from 2 & 3. I also liked the 1986 movie homage with "I still func-"

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Hopefully they'll cover those in the DESTINY arc, I'd figure Destiny would have threads to leave for ROTF instead.
    DN

10. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Looking at the series as a whole, I find myself immensely satisfied with this movie sequel. While I won't say it's anything exceptionally spectacular, but it is an extremely solid actioner keeping in spirit with the movieverse, with alot of good Starscream moments in between. Thanks to this series, I'm finding movie Starscream to be one of the best incarnations of the character, all the ambition with double the competence.

Also props for featuring alot of the movie toyline characters, and kudos to Alex Milne for redesigning those who had toys reused from previous lines to fit in with the movie aesthetic. I also find his artwork an improvement over the stuff done for Megatron:Origins.

11. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    This.

It was great to see all those toy-only characters I'd bought to finally get some spotlight, even if some of them haven't had much to say in the series. Haven't gotten a chance to read Issue 5 yet, but I'm excited to see what Mowry does with the other toy only characters that didn't show up this round in Destiny.
    DN

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I thought this was a FANTASTIC conclusion to fantastic miniseries. Loved all the cameos from the movie toys (though I wanted to see Incinerator...), their redesigns, the dialogue, the plot... everything fell into place so well, and went along at a good pace without feeling drawn-out OR rushed. Plus, with this characterization, Movie Starscream= my favorite "serious" version of Starscream (Animated Starscream gets props for being funnier). Oh, and plot twists that you DID not see coming, but also didn't feel hackneyed.
    And they did exactly what a miniseries should do-- tie up most of the loose ends and effectively end the main plot, but leave a few threads open to keep the readers' interest for Destiny.

Chris Mowry, you=king of IDW TF writers, if you ask me. Best miniseries this year, if not the best miniseries IDW has ever put out TF-wise.

Anyone who likes the movie-verse and doesn't pick up this miniseries is doing themselves a grave dis-service.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...Am I the only person who thought that Reign of Starscream was absolute crap? I felt like I was reading bad fan fiction with some confusing pictures thrown in for kicks.

Seriously, urgh, Starscream and Arcee's little monologues / internal thoughts are just so... lame. It's awful.

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    ..Really? I thought the monologues, particularly Starscream's, were some of the best parts.

But to each his own, I s'pose.

15. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    QFT, movie-verse Starscream has a lot more depth than most of his counterparts in other universes.

That being said, it was a little heavy on the Arcee, hopefully Destiny balances it out and we get to see some more characters have their little spotlight time. Speaking of which, holy crap they killed like half the expanded universe characters in five issues.
    DN

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    From what we heard at SDCC, Hasbro is taking a keen interest in The 13, so this storyline may tie into their comics from the Fan Club, as it also dealt with Vector Prime's past.

Might be part of their big canon retcon from a few years back where they declared Primus and Unicron were the same across the multiverse. Even TakaraTomy have adopted this as canon.

17. Omega Charge

News Credits:
    Well, I just finished Issue 4. I love Starscream in this series. It's also made me almost want some of the featured toys.

So how does the story end?

18. Archaea

Archaea Autobot Archeaologist

Hoping one day they will give the movieverse it's own mini's or on-goings.. So many characters and plots to work on.
    I kinda feel bad for the autobots here.. They get stomped ALOT!.

19. Omega Charge

News Credits:
    There we go. I finished it.

It was wonderful. The story was terrific, and the art was fantastic. Very worthy of the movie universe. Starscream is king.

I'm heavily anticipating the next series.

20. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Very good story and art. Very professional and it wrapped up well.
    I can't say a bad thing about it.