Regular people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's the thing.....everyone has their vices, quirks, hobbies, interests. You have 10 people on the subway, all 10 may be different. One 50 year old guy may still jam out with his buddies on his guitar every other weekend, even though they never made it as a band. Is he quirky? No, it's just his interest. It might be scrapbooking, painting portraits, setting up model trains, buying toy robots, fixing cars, or riding a motorcycle, everyone is wired to like different things. Doesn't mean they are wrong if their interest is different (so long as it's not illegal and doesn't harm anyone) it just means its where their interest lies. My parents give me flak for it every now and then, but you know what? My mom is almost 60 and still collects these little Snow Baby Porcelain statues. It's not wrong, it's just different.

All about how you look at it. If it's something that no longer interests you, then try something different. Just don't give up something you like, that brings you happiness, because someone "feels" you're too old or "not normal" for it. Do what brings you joy.

2. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I'd like to say that nobody is "Normal" and that we all have our quirks, but damn I've met some really weird fucking people in my life. There's only so much uniqueness I can handle.

3. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I'm not a trendy asshole, do what I want. Do what I feel like. It's good enough for you.

4. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

haha,there are no "regular people" man.

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *chewing tobacco* Hey mang i heard you collect kids toys wtf is up with that? *spits*
    CM: wha? Wheredja heard that? NO! oh hey look at that chick in that passing truck man woohoo

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's about it really. Everyone has something they do that other people might think is a bit odd or a bit sad. Personally I still think it's utterly ridiculous that grown men paint colours on their faces and cry when one group of people don't get a ball into the net of another group of people.

Everything people do is judged. Not too many years back adults playing videogames was considered lame. Now many homes (without kids) have a console by the telly and barely anyone questions it.

7. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    Don't be a weird nerd about it and go overboard when talking about it and you're fine. I tend to hate people that like the same stuff as me, when all they do is obsess over it 24/7.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    But...but....you listen to Katy Perry! BLASPHEMY! :eek: 

I see. You're one of them.

9. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

no ones normal if they say they are they are lying which is socially unaccepted making them not normal anyway

10. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What is normal anyway? I don't believe such a thing exists.
    You shouldn't feel bad about yourself. There's nothing wrong with collecting and playing with toys and watching cartoons if these things make you happy.

All of us will grow old, but some of us remain young at heart. I know 20 year olds that act so god damn old, it's ridiculous, so don't worry about age.

Others may judge, but that's just 'cause they don't understand you.
    I'm not much of a sports fan either, but my brother is.
    I'll never figure out why watching sports brings him joy, but it does and I respect that. People who judge and make fun of people who have different interests are just ignorant a**holes.
    Why should you worry about someone like that? Who cares what they think, let them think all they want, they're not getting anything out of it and they're just wasting time.

11. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Who cares about what most people think. I used to please others and I realized that you fail when you do so and you become a doormat for others. Oh well, God will judge them from there. Just do your thing and be respectful towards others. And if Trans or anime is your hobby, then so be it. You be amazed on how there are a lot of 40 and 50 yr olds that still watch it and stuff. Lets not forget that TF toys are worth a lot overtime, that is the ultimate mouth tape for the naysayers. I don't care much about getting laid or watching sports either.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Regular people are the real freaks.

13. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    My brother insults me for buying Transformers figures and playing with Legos. He also says I'm "embarrassing" in public. He's lucky I don't insult him for dedicating his life to getting a sex change.

14. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

Who is this "Norm Al"?

15. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    There is no "normal", no "ordinary". While today's society may tell us what is important in life, it is our choice whether or not we listen to it. If you do "conform to society" (for lack of a better term), that doesn't make you "normal", nor does it make you "different". It's your choice, because you are an individual. Everyone is their own person, and makes their own decisions.

While maintaining some sort of self-image can be important in life, for the most part it doesn't matter what people think of you. If someone thinks you're a freak because you watch cartoons and collect toys, that's their problem, not yours.

In fact, I can somewhat speak from experience. I'm 16, and for the past four or five years I kept my hobby a secret. I didn't want anyone to come over to my house in fear that they'd see my toys and make fun of me. I never told what I would spend my money on or what I got for my birthday. I'd always hide behind aisles if I saw any of my friends near the toy section at stores. You get the idea.

Then, last year, I decided I'd had enough. I was in high school, and I was maturing and developing a sense of individuality. So, I stopped hiding my collection. Some of my friends came to my house to hang out, and I showed them my collection. And guess what? They thought it was pretty cool. Even some of my female friends, to my surprise. I realized that not only was being a toy collector not a big deal, but that it's silly to worry about friends or other people not accepting your hobby. After all, they wouldn't be friends if they didn't, right?

Anyway, my point is that being "normal" is overrated and a ridiculous false concept created by the society of today. Don't be afraid to "break the mold", and don't be afraid of what other people think. Of course, there will always be people unwilling to accept you. That's just the way life is. But in that case, it's always comforting to know who the real dumbass is in that situation. :) 

I don't know why, but I find that incredibly hilarious.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am the only normal person I know. Everyone else is a fucking freak.

17. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

My family and friends used to get on my for buying transformers and Model kits. After i won a few contests for my builds, and showed them commission work i've received, they pretty much left me alone. I never really cared what others think. If people don't support or at least tolerate your interests, then it's not your problem. The way i see it is, i pay my bills, and i don't break any laws. So i don't really see a problem.

Have you seen what the newer generations of people are like?! If that's normal, i'll stay weird!

18. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

Srsly, i actually do live by this code. I even have the tagline 'datum of normalcy' in my FB profile, half jokingly.

And going over a frank miller vs alan moore debate at another board, i actually find myself firmly rooted in mainstream/conservative even while espousing/holding liberal/esoteric opinions and interest. Another way of looking at it is that i tend to have leftist leaning but i tend to hang around so called more regular folk but not enough for regular folk to point out to me as that guy.