regualar 360 or an elite?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ssjautobot, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    regular 360 or an elite?

i need some help. which one do you guys think i should get? a regular 360 premium, or see if i can find a 360 elite. how hard will it be to find a 360 elite. i do not have a hi-def tv, so i really have no need for the hdmi cable. the only reason why id consider the elite is because of the massive 120 gb hard drive and the sleek black color scheme.

so what do you think?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

If you intend to use the movie/tv download service on Xbox Live, hold out for the Elite. You'll need the extra hard drive space.

If you're going to be using it strictly for gaming, stick with the Premium. You're unlikely to need all that extra storage and essentially paying $80 extra for a different color.

3. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    i plan on using it mainly for gaming, but may download SOME tv or movie stuff. but wont the 120 gb hard drive be sold seperatly also?

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes the 120GB drive will be sold seperatly.

I'd say you'd be better going for the Premium edition and get the bigger HD later if you find you need it.

5. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    sounds like a good idea. ill do that. thanks for the help!! :) 

6. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

One thing though, if you decide to play online, feel free to post your gamertag, we're always looking for new people to play with.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go for the Elite. Hands down. The 120 GB HD is $180 if purchased individually. And you may not have the need for HDMI now, but with the price of LCD televisions dropping fast, you may use it in the near future. In addition to that, it looks slick in black. Totally worth the extra $80.

8. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    how many elites are they making? will it be hard to come across?

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure but they are supposed to be available this Sunday. If you get to Best Buy early, you should be OK.

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I would go Elite. I have 3 Gigs on my HD left and I only use it for Gaming. 13 Live Titles, 2 Demo's, and a Beta are killing it right now.

11. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

^^

This really can't be said enough.

12. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

13. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Half of those reasons made me roll my eyes. It's not elite because it costs less then the PS3... come on.

14. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Can you give an example of something that is considered both cheap and elite by most people?

Not saying they are totally right. But it's not like they are making wildly unsubstantiated claims.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm planning on getting a 360 soon, and I really want an HDMI connection, but I know I won't be downloading any movies or TV shows.

Maybe I should just get the cheapest model available and live with component inputs?

Stupid forced CHOICES. It's all or nothing if you want HDMI it seems.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Im about to say something I though I would not say even several months ago...

Buy a PS3 instead. I honestly feel that at this point its a better deal than a 360 from purely a hardware perspective. The ability to swap out the HDD with out paying insane prices, the included Blueray player, the ability to run Linux, and the included Wifi. The Elite 360 is a joke, and the price to upgrade your existing HDD is just plain over the top.

The only thing that still sucks about the PS3 is its current game selection and its non-rumble controllers. But when both of those improve, Im probably buying a PS3.

17. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I'd have to disagree.

From everything i've seen, the 360 looks better then the PS3.
    It costs nothing to swap a harddrive on the 360(other then purchasing the new drive). You're not forced to though, as unless you're downloading lots of movies/multimedia, the smaller harddrive is plenty.
    I don't see how running linux is a plus. Seriously, what can a PS3 with linux do that's so great? I have yet to find anything on the net about it.
    Wifi? Probably the only plus the PS3 has over the 360, but you can buy a 360, and the wifi adapter for less then the cost of a PS3.

As for the game situation, that does't look so good anymore. Sony's hinting that the exclusivity of the next FF game is not guaranteed. I have yet to hear of any upcoming titles that even give me the slightest urge to think about buying a PS3.

EDIT: as for the original post, unless you plan on downloading movies/multimedia, i'd go with the premium 360.

18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Price of a 20GB HDD for Xbox 360 is $90. For about $84 I can go to Newegg and buy a 320GB SATA HDD to work into the PS3. Easy advantage there.

It can do just about anything Linux can do. That includes some nice goodies such as web browsers and media centers. The wireless adapter is also $88. Far too overpriced (but Im also not sure if you can just use any Wifi USB adapter with the system).

As far as Im concerned Final Fantasy is a total waste of a game series that has lived far too long past its prime, but somehow people keep buying the junk. But besides that, PS3 has exclusive games such as Little Big Planet, God of War 3, Ratchet and Clank, and Lair. And if Im correct, all those games a published by Sony. No chance of platform jumping. Also, the way I see it, 360 suffers from a horrible lack of platforming games (kinda a deal to me), save from Rare made stuff (And Rare has not been any good since the N64 days).

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

If you're buying the Elite 360 and you need wifi, the cost of your system rockets all the way to $579. I don't know about you, but at that point the PS3 starts looking a loooooot more tempting. $20 more for a blu-ray player? Why not?

20. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Not really. The original question was about the premium vs elite. The premium already has a 20gig drive, so there's no need to buy another one.

If buying a ps3 so you can use linux is a main selling point, why not buy a computer? it'll cost less, and can do more then a ps3.

While those games may not jump platform, they're not killer apps. Not a single one would interest me enough to buy a ps3.

blu-ray means nothing to me. I'd never use it. Still, if I had the choice of buying a elite 360 and then an adapter, or a ps3, it would be the 360 hands down. There is simply nothing a ps3 offers that interests me. Not that the elite 360 interests me either. I prefer the white system, and I've got plenty of storage, so I don't need the bigger hard drive. Let's throw another wrench into the works, there's always the chance someone could get the wifi adapter for cheaper. I got mine for $30 when walmart clearanced a bunch out. You can also get used ones at gamestop for around $50 or so.