Regretful Purchases.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by typev3, Apr 29, 2012.

1. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Do you ever just buy toys because you feel like you should? I do this all the time and I'm starting to not like a lot of toys in my collection.

Long story short, I got into the hobby around the 2010 launch of WFC and began collecting the Generations line. Now skip to today and I have most of the DOTM and Prime (FE/RID) toylines, however I've realized that I only really love the Classics style figures and maybe some other oddballs as well (Alternity Convoy, Animated Rodimus, etc). Basically, I buy most of the retails toys because it's the 'new' thing and I like them a lot for about a week but I never really come back and appreciate them like I do my Classics/Henkei toys.

Now all I can keep thinking is that if I didn't spend so much on the current mainline toys I could have gotten older, although more expensive toys that I've really been wanting for a while (Classics Mirage, Starscream & Galvatron to name a few). Does this happen a lot of collectors as well? What do you guys usually do about this and should I just go ahead and sell off what I don't like anymore or hold onto them just because?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've done this plenty of times with Yugioh cards, but as far as Transformers go, I'm usually pretty selective with what I buy & don't regret anything that I've bought. Guess you could say I've learned my lesson (painfully) with yugioh... hah

3. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    For the most part, there isn't really much from any of the stuff I collect that I regret getting. It's more a feeling of "You idiot, you could gotta ______ with all the money you spent." lol the blank is usually something non-toy related.

On the topic of selling the stuff you aren't interested in anymore, thats entirely your decision and only you can decide whats right. Though, I call dibs on the FE stuff if you do sell. =^-^=

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    We all have a mistake here and there. Just make sure you research the toys in advance (guessing you already do), and don't let your impulses get the best of you when you are at the store. I used to buy stuff when I would go on fruitless hunts out of pure boredom. Now I get snookered by sales.

It comes with time in the hobby. When something new comes out, I ask myself how it fits into my collection, and don't believe the hype. There is always going to be a group in the fandom that thinks that the newest figure is the greatest, and I have bought a few on hype even after telling myself, "I don't know how this figure gets all this praise, it looks terrible in pictures". I also keep an updated list of what I want; Import, domestic, and recent past, and stick to the list.

5. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

It usually a case of something being less fun in hand for me...

FE Bumblebee is a pain in the ass to handle. RTS Lugnut has goofy legs imo... DOTM Shockwave's bicep curl hands...simiilar deal with ROTF leader Starscream.

6. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RtS Perceptor. I wish I had a toy scaled dildo so that one of my other figures could smack him in the face with it.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bought Leader Ironhide at half price.

It wasn't worth it. God, he sucks.

...But, he was the only Movie Leader mold I didn't own. Stupid completism...

8. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    TFCC Runabout and Runamuck.

Not because I hate them or anything, but because of how much they cost (Runabout cost $100 shipped and Runamuck cost $78) and because I had to use my mum's credit card to purchase them, she got roped into the whole credit card fiasco.

9. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, there's always that minicon or whatever that transforms into a fan'mode toilet. You'd think that by now I'd remember who it is (on account of referencing it like 6 times in the last year), but it always escapes me.

10. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    This happens to me every time I buy a toy that isn't from Beast Wars or one of the big four from G1.

11. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

But then you'd have no Arcee to act out your genius* shipping idea.

*not

12. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    It's not genius. Nor is it my idea. It is just one big fact made out of many little facts, which you should face, because it is inevitable.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

You're funny.

Anyway, I actually like having a few figures that suck. Makes good examples of what a figure shouldn't be like.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I think there's a difference between having something that's actually alluring because of how shitty it is, and something that you're simply buying because you don't have it/don't like it as much as another.

To me, the latter is entirely a waste of money, while the 1st thing is often quite amusing.

15. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I would have to say about 70% of the movie toys I purchased. Now the only ones important to me are the Human Alliance toys (Jazz/Bee/Barricade), the G1-colored jets (both Voyager and deluxe-sized Scream/TCracker/Warp), G1 Colored Jazz, and my Leader Starscream.

I pretty much gave everything else away. Learned my lesson after that!

16. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably because I'm really tired, but for a second, I thought they had made transformer toys based on PwC, KPMG, Delloites and EY.

17. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably gonna regret the auctions I'm trying to win right now for some SG Junkions....

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought into the hype for Concept Camaro Bumblebee when he first came out and picked one up in store, but I just couldn't come to terms with the ugly Bayformers aesthetic. Sold him for a small profit. :) 

Also bought Henkei KO Thundercracker shortly before the Generations version was announced and also sold him for a small profit.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Henkei Thundercracker

DOTM Sideswipe

Universe Galvatron

Universe Ratchet/Ironhide

First Edition Prime Arcee

ROTF Mixmaster

ROTF Demilishor

ROTF arcee

ROTF Chromia

ROTF the Fallen

ROTF Starscream

ROTF Blazemaster

20. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Solid advice, and I do the same thing. I keep a list of what I want (and MP-10 US release just got added this morning) :D .

I got caught up in that hype of the first movie, and purchased a whole bunch of ugly designs that didn't really resonate with me. I gave them to my friend's son, so it all worked out.