Registration for BotCon update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pete@BotCon, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Pete@BotCon

Pete@BotCon PVK

News Credits:
    Hello...

I just wanted to take a quick moment to give everyone the current status on Registrations.

We have already received hundreds of forms in a very short period of time and we appreciate everyone's patience as I know some had to wait for quite awhile to get their fax to go through. Please use a trusted fax service as while their can be a back up on our end, some services have issues with their transmission as well.

That said, we do understand that there are some challenges that people face in getting your form to us and please note that we have listened to all the feedback that has been offered up. We will continue to explore options to make both this years and the coming years Registration process as easy as possible given the ever growing number of people who wish to attend BotCon or order the non-attending set.

Thank you again for your patience and we look forward to seeing you at BotCon 2009!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks Pete. :bday , BTW!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sent my non-attending form in this morning no problem.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having to fax registration in for a major event such as Botcon is crazy.

There has to be some service out there that can set up an online form & payment system for you guys. Have it calculate the total based on the fields checked and numbers ordered.

5. wipedout

wipedout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the update.

Quick question, roughly how many boxed sets and loose sets are created for this event?

6. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    The brochure tells us that there are 400 loose sets this year. For the past couple of years, they haven't told us how many boxed sets were created until the convention itself (where it is revealed in the Certificate of Authenticity that the boxed set contains).

Roughly, I'd guess over 1000.

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just filled out my registartion and will mail it out tomorrow as I don't have acces to a fax, hope I'll still be able to get my Iacon package.

8. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    It's simple...goto online registration...it takes about as much effort to set up and get running with the right software as it does to take the time and effort to get signed up and running on TFW2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

That's too simple, Fun Pub likes to do things the slow and painful outdated way.

10. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Oversimplification if ever I heard one....

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I decided this year, I wanted to try and get the pin badge that the first 100 people to prereg get. I sold a bunch of stuff so I could afford it, and I had the fax machine checked over and plugged in last week.
    And do you know how long it took me to get my form to you?
    Eleven hours, Pete.
    ELEVEN HOURS.
    You should have had my fax VERY shortly after the forms went up. Instead, you got it the next day.
    And I'm not even touching on the fact that the forms went out to club members FIRST, therefore most likely filling all the classes (not to mention allocating all the pin badges) BEFORE anyone else even had a CHANCE. If you're going to do that again, I suggest you don't even bother putting the classes in the brochure and only tell club members about them.
    If it's still faxes next year I'll either be going as a walk-in and giving my $800 or so to the dealers, or skipping it entirely. I outright refuse to do this again.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Got an e-mail today from Fun Pub that they recieved my fax, so I can breathe easy, at least.

But yeah, this is really getting pathetic, FP. Really.

13. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are the emails only being sent out to people who are already members? I haven't gotten mine yet and I got the fax in at 12:00PM yesterday....

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    As far as I know they're being sent out as confirmation that your fax has been received, whether you're a member or not. I'm not a member, although I did rejoin on the form.

15. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

If they insist on this archaic way of doing it they should do it in waves.

For instance have a form just for the custom classes/tours and have them go up a few days before the main form is up.

That way the guys trying to get in on the classes/tours do not have to fight all the other traffic trying to get attending/nonattending toys to sign up.

After the classes/tours fill THEN you can have the Attending registration forms faxed in. After all those are used up, or at least well on thier way, open up the non attending forms to be faxed in.

Tiering it like that would save alot of angst.

For instance I am in the club, I filled out my form and tried to fax it to you guys as soon as it got to me. I have yet to get the email saying its in. I really wanted into the custom class but the length of time it took me to actually get confirmation on the machine that the fax went through, makes me pretty sure I missed out. I am sure the sheer volume of people trying to get the toys (attending and non attending) caused a huge jam on your system. Had I only been competing with those that wanted the custom class the volume should have been much less and been less frustrating.

Not to mention the lack of an email makes me VERY worried you didn't even get the thing. Some people are reporting recieved emails 30 mins after they got thier fax done.

If you are bound and determined to NOT use online registration, please institute a tiered system that limits traffic and thus takes off some of the frustration. Poor Draven has been at it since yesterday, though it does sound like he finally got his to go through.

16. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I resent the form today since I wasn't sure if it had gotten in yesterday either and I got the email immediately. I am pretty bummed though since I know I am probably not going to get the class. Man the confirmation email is harsh too. Not very PR'ish....

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool, the standard PR bullshit excuses. Nothing against you personally Pete, it just sucks that you gotta run around lying for a group that refuse to listen to what their customers want and provide a service so outdated it would be hilarious if it wasn't such a frustrating mess.

It's been 5 years of "YEAH WE'RE TOTALLY LISTENING" followed by *absolutely nothing changing.*

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have to agree. Out of all the complaints and suggestions that the club has gotten over the years, online registration is the common request. I suggested back in 2005 the use of an editable PDF file for registration, to at least cut down on penmanship issues, and you see how long that took to become a reality.

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While I won't break out the bottle of Hatorade on this one I do have two questions.

First is the same as everyone else... why still with the fax machines? Twenty-first century yadda yadda...

Second is, why aren't the add on toy sets included on the pre-reg form? If 3H was capable of doing it back in the proverbial day why can't it be done now? It would save a lot of line work on registration, and only a bit more front end work you your part. In addition it would provide for more up front capital from the people that are going to get the toys regardless of what they look like. You could drop a ticket into the bundle of stuff that you get when you pick up your badge, then take the ticket to a line at the Club Store specifically for the pre-reg store toy pickup and just exchange the ticket for the toy without having to fill in all of your credit card info, wait for people to double check math, and hopefully avoid a second 2 hour line wait. Or just have the same people that pick out all of your individual stuff at registry pick up grab another bag or two and let everyone get on their way.

20. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:

Where are the lies? Seriously. Name one. "We're listening" isn't a lie, unless you can follow that up with something more substantive than the fact that you haven't seen any of the changes.

Because, as I see it, the changes are pretty subtle, I grant, but they've been there.