Regional exclusive Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Jan 30, 2012.

?

Should there be region specific variants and toys?

1. Yeah!

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Uh, no that's just ridiculous

30 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Not really sure

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now living in europe I find it frustrating and annoying at the availability of local transformers in stores (especially vs other hasbro properties like MLP and monopoly which are everywhere). Even if I do find them all I can think is meh, this isn't anything special compared to american releases. Back in the day Europe had it's own releases and variants as did Japan. Now it's just USA and Japan for region specific exclusives.

Just for speculative fun do you think it would benefit tf more and possibly hasbro by making region specific tfs adding that exclusivity and possibly increasing sales for the regions (via the region and mail order from the states and possibly asia). There are little less restrictions allowing for some more variety (I mean there are Kinder eggs here! ).

Anyway, vote (if I can figure out the poll settings) and discuss.

2. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Exclusives are the bane of my collection. Seriously, was there any logical reason why Vortex couldn't have been released stateside? I can understand that Legends class got kinda killed, which is why no Skywarp and Thundercracker, but really. This shit needs released everywhere.

3. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to think the same thing...then I moved to Sweden. Europe is like the third world country for toys in comparison.

It works well for Japan though and I have no bones about ordering henkei colors and getting huge figures like Brave maximus :D 

4. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well takara tomy gets their special paint schemes and works with hasbro to make their versions seem more premium. That way the hardcore have a reason to import the paint variant.

The point being. Hasbro is in America so they have their deco, and Takara Tomy is in Japan So their partnership is the reason for these regional exclusives in the first place.

Europe gets its exclusives when their retailers like argos order a run that American retailers turned down. This even applys for the G1 toys that were European exclusives. Because American retailers had dropped interest in the brand.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Okay, a slightly different figure with more paint apps, that's fine. I won't drop bank for that. However, something as severe as, say, Vortex once again, there's no need to have that exclusive.

6. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would think more just paint changes and at most weapon changes.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My feelings exactly.

8. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone who actually lives outside the states want to chime in?

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Fine then... I hate exclusives. For starters, where's the profit if you limit your products to a certain place instead of everywhere? Why can't all the world enjoy the same product equally?

Another reason to hate exclusives is the absurd prices you get in 3rd party shops. Especially if they are older releases. (Classics Ultra Magnus & Skywarp set anyone?!)

10. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

Thank you! :) 

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that regional exclusives make a certain degree of sense, especially since Hasbro and Tomy are still partners in developiong TFs and muist meet their own needs before meeting each others'.

However, it makes less and less sense every year, thanks to the 'net unifying collector knowledge. We all know damn well what's getting released everywhere if we care to check. That's why releasing First Edition in Canada then turning around and pretending that US consumers didn't know any better and they could rush right into RiD has probably not engendered them much goodwill.

There will still always be regional offices making calls, differences in ability to physically distribute toys, etc., but they should recognize that essentially we all get the same media and want the same loot at the end of the day!

12. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering Hasbro has cut down on exclusives I think its kinda a moot point

13. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Forgot to add a point. The only exclusives I accept or tolerate are the convention related ones.

14. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's the same thing, still an American exclusive in the case of botcon...

This right here bugged me into thinking hasbro is as mentally backwards as every other entertainment corporation. They act as if the net doesn't exists.

Costs for shipping normal transformers from america that never show up in europe is too ridiculous to fathom even going after their exclusives for me yet asia is cheaper.

There is marketing strategy to increasing sales with regional exclusives (takara is making quite a bit on the MP line I am willing to wager). It just seems like between the states and asia, Europe (and canada?) and south america get the short end of the stick.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because not all the world enjoys everything equally. The "profit" comes in when you release something that appeals to a certain region that might not appeal to others, at least not in the same way, such as that Year of the Dragon Ultimate Optimus monstrosity. "Year of the Dragon" doesn't hold the same level of recognition here as where that toy has been released, so...

And not all markets are the same. There is a reason the version of TF toys we get in the US look cheaper and more junky than what Japan gets. Takara can make money marketing better looking but more expensive toys in Japan, but Hasbro will lose money doing the same thing here.

I don't have a problem with region exclusives. But I'm not a pathological completionist, so that probably makes them easier for me to deal with or ignore. The fact is, without those region exclusives, it wouldn't be a case of every region getting those toys; it would be a case of most of those toys never being made for ANY region at all.

16. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Make seekers sought, US Gets starscream deco, japan thundercracker, europe skywarp, asia sunstorm, South america acid storm, canada another color scheme.

Then redo with coneheads!

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate exclusivity, especially when it comes to Transformers. If you can't make enough for everyone, then don't make any at all.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's not selfish at all.

19. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    The thing is that with most exclusives, the general public doesn't acknowledge them enough to want them.

Toys for collectors is a luxury, not a necessity. So it makes sense to introduce luxury into luxury, if you get what I mean.

Not every kid wants a DOTM Vortex, not every parent would get yet another repaint of Starscream.

In short, it's transformers\toys, not rice and bread.