[Region 4] Contest #8: Octane vs Mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Contest #8: Octane vs Mirage

Poll closed Feb 19, 2009.
  1. Octane

5.4%
  2. Mirage

94.6%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 4] Contest #8: #7 Seed Octane vs #10 Seed Mirage

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 19th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OCTANE

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: FUELER

"He who has fuel has power!"

Profile: Octane is a greedy, mean-spirited bully. Just to prove his own value, he's more than willing to let a Decepticon slip painfully into inoperative status rather than offer him a drop of life-saving fuel. Only after his thirsty victim begs for fuel and praises Octane does Octane relent. He entertains himself by forcing vehicles to swerve off highways and commercial aircraft to abort landing approaches at airports. Crashes caused by him make him howl with laughter. He rebuffs requests by other Decepticons for him to end these wasteful, pointless actions. "I don't tell them how to have their fun," says Octane, "and they have no business telling me how to have mine!"

Abilities: In jet mode, Octane has a range of 7000 miles and can reach a speed of 750 mph. In tanker mode, his range is 65,000 miles and he can go up to 90 mph. He can carry 10,000 gallons of fuel and has internal equipment that modifies oil-based fuels into fuel the Transformers are able to use, or solid fuel. He has internal hoses that he uses to drill for and siphon off liquid fuel sources. He is likely to attack a gas station or another tanker truck in his quest to acquire fuel. In robot mode, he carries a liquid-flame thrower, powered by his fuel reserves, and a deflecto-shield, which turns back whatever beam or artillery that hits it upon whoever shot it.

Weaknesses: In tanker truck mode, Octane is generally heavily armored to protect himself and his fuel tank. However, he is extremely vulnerable to a hit from below the tank. He is not an effective combatant in the air since he has virtually no offensive capabilities in jet mode.

MIRAGE

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: COUNTER-INTELLIGENCE

"Who and what I am I hide from the enemy."

Profile: Mirage is not thrilled about being with a bunch of rough-and-tumble freedom fighters like the Autobots. If he had a choice he'd be in Monte Carlo, or better yet, back on his beloved Cybertron hunting turbofoxes with his high-priced friends. Autobot leader Optimus Prime must constantly cajole him into continuing his service with the Autobots, but he feels it may be a losing battle. Despite his coolness to the cause, Mirage is a surprisingly effective and deadly fighter and an even more effective intelligence gatherer, which is the role he much prefers.

Abilities: Mirage carries a rear-mounted electro-disruptor which is able to interfere with the circuitry of an opponent by casting discrete packets of electrical charges at him. Hence, he never is situated where he seems to be when it is in use, and can even use the disruptor to give himself the illusion of a different physical appearance, which he can sustain for up to six minutes. All of this contributes to his effectiveness as an intelligence agent. He can also hit a screw-head dead center from 200 yards with his armor-piercing hunting rifle. It shoots liquid-fuel-powered darts.

Weaknesses: He's unsure of the Autobots and their cause, and consequently cannot always be fully trusted. Optimus Prime is well aware of his coolness to the group, but considers him too valuable to let go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Here we are with the final two combatants in the First Round!!!

We have to bots with equal speed and strength.

Mirage has the edge in most other categories and obviously has the whole 'mirage' thing going for him. Octane, on the other hand has the triple-change ability.

Which one will be the 32nd and final combatant to make it into the 2nd round??

3. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Wow! So here we are. My favorite triplechanger vs. one of my all-time favorite Autobots. I'll be short and to the point as usual. The rifle, accuracy, invisibility and "deadly" fighting ability all scream to me MIRAGE ALL THE WAY BABY!

4. AMG

AMG Old School

Mirage.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Mirage definitely. Their tech specs are all around the same in which case in comes down to a case of abilities. Octane's abilities are all based on fuel detection. In contrast, Mirage has invisibility,holographic powers, hand-to-hand combat skills, and deadly accuracy sniping skills (which could really do a number on Octane if all that fuel he carries combusts). Even in their vehicle modes Mirage's F-1 mode is far faster than Octane's tanker truck mode and far more maneuvreble than his jet mode.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Oh look, another Season 3 character.

Anyway, Mirage, with ease.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I thought the region 4 contest were all "pre-movie" characters???

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Mirage

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Mirage. Just end it now, we all know he's gonna win.

10. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Mirage can be turn himshelf gone and Octane be wonder to can't see Mirage.

11. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    The whole tournament was supposed to be made out of pre-movie and movie characters. However, I trusted my memory way too much when creating the brackets. That and the fact that I was in the middle of re-watching all of the Beast Wars/Machines episodes led to me including 3 bots from post-movie. My apologies. I knew Predaking was, and I thought that was the only exception. My memory had told me Metroplex was part of Autobot City in the Movie, and although some argue he was I can see that he was not now.

Octane, I have no excuse for, simply bad memory on that one.

I will do a little more fact checking for future tournaments.

Although looking at it now, in my defense...unless I am again mistaken the only other bots I could have included in those three's places are Bombshell, Kickback, Grapple, Skids, and a few of the Mini-bots. I don't think they would have made very good 1, 1, and 7 seeds!! (Although I could have moved every up spots to get them in a proper place)

12. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    First time I voted against a con, but mirage is badass!

13. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    What?

14. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I'm kinda surprised to see Octane seeded higher than Mirage. This looks a lot like a seeker vs seeker match-up. Two relatively even players, but one a clear advantage over the other. It's no contest. Goes to Mirage

15. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Mirage. He's a bit more intelligent.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

You know you're in trouble when you can't find any evidence of a con being able to fight at all. Profile, not really. Cartoon, not that I remember. Comic, does a 3 on 1 against a scraplet-crippled blaster count?

Mirage really got a good draw here.

17. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I would've loved to see bombshell, though his mind control shells would've made for a problematic deus ex machina. Tournament champion: Bombshell

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    LOL, well, he'd only mind control those who didn't have strong enough wills, but with the cerebro shells, he'd know what they were thinking, which is also a major advantage.

Personally, I'd cut out Metroplex as he's the only citybot, Predaking and Octane for being S3, and put in Bombshell, Kickback, and Skids.

I wouldn't mind seeing a all gestalt tournament BTW.

19. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I have at least 3 future tournaments in the rough draft phase...and one of them does include all of the individual parts that form gestalts. As for an entire tournament just of gestalts that could be a possibility but not one I have messed with yet.

If you guys like these tournaments we can do more than one a year, otherwise I will just plan on doing one next year about this same time...its up to all of you guys (maybe we will have a poll after this one is all finished, if nothing else it will at least give us the satisfaction of pissing off all the haters out there lol)

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Mirage