[Region 4] Contest #7: Snarl vs Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Contest #7: Snarl vs Smokescreen

Poll closed Feb 18, 2009.
  1. Snarl

58.1%
  2. Smokescreen

41.9%
  1. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

At some point to win a fight, you have to attack your opponent. IMO Smokescreen's weapons are not going to be effective against Snarl in dino mode. So at some point Smokescreen has to close the distance between him and Snarl and fight up close. All it's going to take is a few hits and Smokescreen is down.
    Now I don't base my opinion solely on the Tech Specs, but also on the Cartoon and Comic versions of each character. But blindly going by the tech specs is no worse or better than following only the cartoon version of each character.
    Realistically, none of the '84/'85 Autobot cars like Jazz, Smokescreen, Hound, Ratchet etc. etc. should be able to take down one of the Dinobots.

Edit, the one exception being Swoop, to me he was never shown to be any stronger/tougher than your average Autobot.

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Your own expectations fail you as it's only 1 more, not WAY more.

Secondly, you are confusing endurance with stamina. Endurance is the ability to take punishment. By your definition bumblebee should have a 10 on endurance because he's the most fuel efficient bot.

And my logical argument is that snarl would shoot him! If you don't accept the ridiculous "1" firepower, it becomes plausible. The default winner would be snarl...if snarl screws up, who cares, the fight will go on and on and on. If anything happens that allows snarl to land a hit, the match finishes up quickly.

3. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Couldn't disagree with you more!! - Smokescreen does NOT need to come up and fight close that would be moronic. Smokescreen IS intelligent!! All he would need to do is wait it out and stay out of harms way until nightime and then use his SUPERIOR firepower AND skill to take Snarl out.

I think that Jazz, Prowl, Mirage, Smokescreen and a few others could very realistically take almost all of the Dinobots except for Grimlock and possibly Slag.

4. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Remind me to never invite you to be a part of my strategic planning team if the world turned into a chaotic all out war!!!

BTW

en·dur·ance (n-drns, -dyr-)
    n.
    1. The act, quality, or power of withstanding hardship or stress: A marathon tests a runner's endurance.
    2. The state or fact of persevering: Through hard work and endurance, we will complete this project.
    3. Continuing existence; duration.

Endurance is not soley the ability to take punishment!!

5. iconscons

If the dictionary definition is what you think is the intent of the writer, explain why bumblebee has only a 7 endurance? He could definitely "run a marathon" for the longest.

6. iconscons

BTW Trailbreaker has a 10 endurance.

My point is that the tech specs are a mess, and not consistent with eachother AT ALL

7. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You are confusing the fact that Endurance and Fuel Efficiency are not one in the same...

8. iconscons

Then what is endurance in transformer terms? The ability to do what?

9. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Endurance is the ability to withstand hardship or stress. It's perseverance and pushing through even when things get tough. It's staying for the long haul.

It can go hand in hand with Stamina but doesnt always have to.

Therefore it is 100% logical for Bumblebee and Wheelie to have higher endurance than Metroplex or Defensor.

And since you chose to ignore the other one. You do understand that any bot can be more BRAVE than another regardless of actual physical abilities right??

BTW

I edited that post immediately to reflect my true intentions, apparently you edited yours before re-reading mine...

10. Evil Porkchop

To take a page out of your book. Couldn't disagree with you more!! Snarl could sit in Dino mode the whole time night or day. Smokescreen's weapons and physical attack are not enough to take him out.
    I know I'm getting argumentative here, and on a message board that is an exercise in futility. But you are putting all your faith in the Tech Specs, which are just as messed up as the Cartoon or Comic for anything resembling any sort of common sense or continuity.

11. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Are you saying that in reality Snarl is the smarter, faster, and more skilled bot with more devastating firepower??

12. iconscons

Your definition is too vague to reconcile the stats given to characters and anything we've ever seen. Trailbreaker, then wheelie/metroplex, then megatron, then BB. Find me a trait that has some evidence behind it, which goes in descending order for those guys.

Justify a 9 firepower on frenzy

Justify a 8 strength for shrapnel

Justify a 9 strength for brawn

And I do not buy almost every minibot being braver than Galvatron, or just about every other tformer for that matter. Galvatron has attempted to overthrow Unicron and make him his slave. In comics he's come after Megatron and Ultramagnus on a whim. He's tried to take on everyone.

Tech specs are garbage.

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:

So is saying Snarl would beat Smokescreen

(sorry couldnt resist)

14. iconscons

He is neither smarter, faster, or more skilled than Smokescreen. He does have sufficient firepower to put him down however, while smokescreen does not barring something outlandish

Note: I do believe that Jazz could reliably create something this outlandish on the uber-dumb sludge.

15. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Snarl wins.

16. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Saying Snarl has sufficient firepower and Smokescreen does not is not only ignoring tech specs but all other logic in the transformer world

17. Evil Porkchop

No, I'm saying that Snarl is slow, strong and tough. Smokescreen is by defintion a "Diversionary Tactician", without enough firepower to hurt any Dinobot but Swoop. I think you are basing too much on "the Snarl is weaker at night" argument. It never says how much weaker Snarl is. I'm just saying that Snarl would stay in Dino mode and make Smokescreen come to him, or at the very least only chase after him in Dino mode.

18. iconscons

I'm saying that snarls medium/low firepower is enough to trouble smokescreens medium/low toughness

I'm saying that smokescreens tactical/medium powered weapons wouldn't be troublesome to snarls high toughness.

You can't ignore the toughness.

19. Evil Porkchop

I'll play devils advocate here. If you abide by the Cartoon which is just a messed up as the Tech Specs as I stated before. Then it would take alot more than Smokescreen or Sunstreaker or Tracks to put down Snarl. You are ignoring every other type of Transformers canon that exists yourself.

20. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Final Count

Contest #7 is official with a final score of

Snarl - 25
    Smokescreen - 18

Again, discussion can continue but all voting for this contest is FINAL at this time. For the overall grid or the next matchup check the "March Madness Tournament" or the "[Region 4] Contest 8" threads.