[Region 4] Contest #7: Snarl vs Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Contest #7: Snarl vs Smokescreen

Poll closed Feb 18, 2009.
  1. Snarl

58.1%
  2. Smokescreen

41.9%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 4] Contest #7: #6 Seed Snarl vs #11 Seed Smokescreen

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 18th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SNARL

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    SUB-GROUP: DINOBOT
    FUNCTION: DESERT WARRIOR

"Only in war is there happiness."

Profile: An Autobot of few words and fewer opinions, Snarl grudgingly follows the orders of Dinobot leader Grimlock and leaves the thinking to others. He's generally unhappy and a loner, and his uncommunicative nature only adds to his feelings of isolation. Only the thrill of battle can elevate his spirits. In fact, few of his comrades experience the joyous heights that Snarl attains while locked in mortal combat. But for him war is an all too brief respite from the twin devils that haunt his miserable existence: the ungainly dinosaur form the Ark has bestowed upon him and the knowledge he may never see his beloved Cybertron again.

Abilities: His unique design makes Snarl particularly useful in sunny, arid environments. The large golden plates protruding from his spinal assembly are solar collectors. Although he can operate without sunlight, solar energy can increase his strength tenfold and his endurance to a virtually limitless degree. A swipe of his tail can shatter a 20-foot concrete cube. His heavily armored hide makes him resistant to most missile fire.

Weaknesses: Snarl's dependency on sunlight makes him extremely vulnerable to attack at night. Although he can use the same fuel the other Autobots use, he operates at only a fraction of his strength when he does. He is also very slow and his uncooperative behavior patterns sometimes hinder his effectiveness in dangerous situations.

SMOKESCREEN

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: DIVERSIONARY TACTICIAN

"A look can be deceiving; a touch can be lethal."

Profile: Whether engaged in raging battle or friendly conversation, seldom is Smokescreen up to what he appears to be up to. More likely, an ulterior purpose exists. In combat, his job is to lead the enemy astray, to prevent him from discovering the true nature of an Autobot strategy until it is too late for the enemy to counter it. It is a job he performs with great proficiency. His duplicity carries over to his personal affairs as well. Charming and affable, it is easy for Smokescreen to use his genuine camaraderie with his fellow Autobots in order to root out their deepest concerns. And, at Optimus Prime's request, that is exactly what Smokescreen does, because Optimus feels that his role as Autobot leader creates a personal barrier between himself and his followers that he cannot overcome alone. Strangely enough, in Optimus' eyes, the most devious of the Autobots is also the most trusted.

Abilities: In car mode, Smokescreen can emit from his tailpipe a thick, black cloud of smoke that has the additional property of gravitating toward metallic objects, such as enemy Decepticons. In robot mode, his twin shoulder-mounted launchers shoot missiles that shatter into thousands of shards that produce a variety of radio signals, magnetic fields and infrared waves, wreaking havoc on the radar and guidance systems of enemy aircraft. His disruptor rifle shoots a web of electrical energy that can short out and interfere with the proper operation of any electrically powered target.

Weaknesses: With proper shielding, an opponent can successfully withstand many of Smokescreen's weapons, usually leaving him in a relatively weak position since he's not that powerful on his own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I believe this to be one of the most intriguing contests of the Tournament so far.

Obviously you have the fact that Snarl is stronger, has more endurance and of course, is a DINOBOT!!

Meanwhile, Smokescreen has the intelligence, speed, firepower and skill advantage.

The intriguing part for me is this. #1. Can Smokescreen survive the daylight of the one on one battle in order to take advantage of the weaker nightime Snarl. OR #2. Can Smokescreen's 'smoke' make it so that even during the daytime, Snarl's solar panels are useless.

Finally, whether weak or strong for Snarl, does Smokescreen have the ability to do him any real damage or not??

We all know all it will take for Snarl to become the victor is one swing of the tail....so does he ever get that chance??

You will all have to convince me one way or the other, because in this second to last contest of the 1st round I am completely undecided at this point!

So far this is the only region without an upset. Also, Dinobots record in the tournament so far is 2-2. Slag and Grimlock with the wins and Sludge and Swoop with the losses.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

Two of my favorite Autobots. :) 

When I approach these contests, I think of the combatants being at the top of their game during the battle. I'll give it to Snarl here, the daytime power boost will be too much for Smokescreen to overcome.

4. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    So, Smokescreen's main weapon (smoke) will have no effect on Snarl's daytime power??

5. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Ok hopefully I'm not just blowing smoke up everybody's ass but I'm going to gamble on Smokescreen. It all boils down to enveloping Snarl in a cloud, unloading everything he has and repeating the process over...and over...and over. I think it's feasible provided he doesn't get the tail end of it. Better bring a sack lunch Smokie, it's gonna be a long day.

6. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Smokescreen. His strength is Snarl's weakness.

7. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Snarl's greatest weapon will not be used in this fight if both bots are on the top of their game. Snarl has to be in dino mode to swing his tail, I don't see Smokescreen getting that close to him in dino mode to be hit by it. Especially since its a relatively short ranged weapon.

I'm still very undecided about this one, I just thought I'd point that much out.

8. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

This is a very good matchup. I have to give the edge to Smokescreen here, because he has a lot of advantages, mainly in the speed and intelligence quotient. Since Snarl is probably even slower in dinosaur form, he will not get a chance to use his tail, and would probably have a lot of problems attacking Smokescreen(especially when he can't see him!). Since Smokescreen can elude and strike with the best of them, I say he can pull it out, but it will be a long long battle, and hopefully his firepower can hold out.

9. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Will Snarl fight back?

10. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Thats the general idea.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Smokescreen. Recall that in 'Auto Beserk' Smokescreen's smoke managed to so completely blind and disorient the seekers to the point that they couldn't see that they were flying into a mountain until the smoke cleared and spoke like Yoda before that.

His smoke will keep Snarl in the dark, along with his weapon, Snarl will be off-balance the whole fight until Smokescreen takes him down. I see Smokescreen starting off with a "Hey, look over there!" Snarl turns to look as Smokescreen transforms and drives circles around Snarl while pouring out the smoke. Snarl slowly realizes what happened and transforms to fight, only to find that it's too late, the smoke is sticking to him and blocking out the sun. Weakened, Smokescreen occasionally pops back into robot mode to pepper Snarl with a missle or a few shots, then transform back into vehicle mode to continue circling and smoking out Snarl until the fight is his.

12. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I don't know that the "smoke" will be as much of an advantage as one might think. It's not like snarl will spend 6 hours covered in smoke, he may have been "charging up" all morning. I can't imagine a minute or two in the dark will depower him. Secondly, even without the sun, he's durable as hell. Snarl is a bit slower and he may get frustrated, but he won't run into a mountain. I give this one to snarl: though since he's one of my favorites I admit my logic may be tainted.

Note: Despite his cartoon appearance, I believe Snarl to be vastly more intelligent (average) than Sludge (dumbest transformer period)

13. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Not a big fan of either of these guys, but Snarl looks like he would take it.

14. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    This is a bit of a tough one, but I'd give it to Snarl.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My vote's on Smokescreen.

16. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I don't believe Smokescreen has the firepower to just outright take this fight. Smokescreen does have a lot of advantages with his speed and intelligence but I think if he's going to take this fight it's going to have to be with the help of his environment and lots of explosions and things falling on Snarl.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The only way I see Smokescrean winning is if this fight starts close to nightfall.

Otherwise I dont see his smoke or firepower making much of a dent on Snarl.

Snarl's endurance in daylight is so high that none of Smokescreans weapons would make a difference.

Snarl could just sit there and wait till Smokescrean ran out of ammunition or ran out of energy.

And even if the smoke can block out the rays of the sun, Snarl would have stored enough to carry him for at least a few hours and I dont see the "smoke" remaining for that long.

18. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Thank you. Snarl is not a solar powered calculator that shuts down when he steps into a shadow.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

As many have noted, this is an interesting fight. So far the Dinos have drawn unfortunate lots against weaker, but much more skilled opponents for the most part, and I suspect that this will be another victory for clever autobot cars.

Snarl is undeniably strong, and would probably total Smokescreen with a couple of solid hits... but unless he sucker punches Smokescreen before the match starts, there's no way he's ever going to connect with this slippery character (and even so, how sneaky would you have to be to sucker punch Smokescreen... good luck with that! :)  )

Smokescreen on the other hand, seems tailor-made to handle Snarl... his abilities are exactly what are needed to undermine Snarl's greatest strength... his... uh, strength. Obviously, some of this depends on how long Snarl's solar charge lasts, but taking the tech specs at face value, it's pretty clear that he's at a disadvantage without the sun.

Assuming that we're fighting in the standard Oregon desert setting, Snarl should be topped up on solar power... but... ever try to use a solar-powered calculator in the dark whose backup battery is low? As soon as the light is gone, so is the power. There is no lasting "charge". He's immediately down to his normal baseline power.

So Snarl retains his toughness, but ends up losing most of his strength advantage right out of the gate. Does this affect how potent his tail weapon is? I should think so.

Not that I'd expect Smokescreen to get anywhere near enough to get tagged by the tail or the sword. Snarl is certainly smart by Dinobot standards (6!), but he's no match for Smokescreen's tactical mind. He's slow, clumsy (Skill 4!) and downright feeble in terms of firepower. Add to that blind , disoriented by Smokescreen's sensor "fog" missiles, and he really has NO edge in this fight.

Finally, a lot of you seem to be making much of how "long" this fight will be, and how Smokescreen will have to "outlast" his opponent. Again, this is a case of Snarl just running up against the WRONG Autobot. Smokescreen doesn't have to wear him down gradually with artillery, blaster fire, or by throwing rocks at him... he has an electro-disruptor rifle that bypasses Snarl's natural defenses, and with a few easy shots, will put him to bed early without any dinner. :) 

Smokescreen's profile specifies that he'd be at a loss if his opponents are outfitted with proper insulation from his arsenal of indirect weapons... but they are potent weapons (Firepower 7), and there's no reason to expect Snarl to have any such insulation.

Smokescreen takes this, game... set... match. The more one thinks about it, the clearer it is.

zmog

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Actually, yes. Yes he is.

There is no mention made of Snarl's "great stores" of solar power. It simply says that when he is denied solar energy, he must default to his standard fuel, which leaves him vulnerable and operating at a fraction of his strength. He doesn't shut down, but he loses his strength.

If his solar-powered energy lasts a factor of hours, then attacks "at night" are hardly a threat. Most of the time, the night doesn't last all that long. I firmly interpret his solar power as something that fades within minutes of being denied the sun.

Secondly, his strength is almost a non-issue. He can only use it if he can catch Smokescreen, who is NOT going to engage him in close combat. We're talking about the sneakiest, most manipulative Autobot there is... Snarl is going to be outmaneuvered at every step.

Finally, his endurance is meaningless when all of his electrical synapses are disrupted and he takes a little nap. The electro disrupter is a powerful weapon... Smokescreen doesn't have to make a "dent" in Snarl. He doesn't necessarily have to cause any lasting physical damage to make this a KO. That's the beauty of it. :) 

zmog