[Region 4] Contest #6: Soundwave vs Tracks

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Contest #6: Soundwave vs Tracks

Poll closed Feb 17, 2009.
  1. Soundwave

83.3%
  2. Tracks

16.7%
  1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Fixed. ;) 

I find Transformers to be an interesting property because the underlying core fiction is so much stronger than the various media it's spawned. Not to detract from various creators' and voice talent's contributions to making these characters memorable for us... but when it comes to consistency, the original profiles are the only reliable canon.

In this struggle I agree Soundwave's alt-mode is not very useful... but why worry? I don't think Soundwave needs to be in tape deck mode to use his powers. I think a giant flying robot with guns beats a flying car. :) 

Although Tracks has a higher firepower rating, I think that's deceptive. He has 2 heat-seeking missiles with a reasonable destructive capability... but if those fail to take Soundwave out, he's left with only his Black Beam gun. Blinding your opponent can be useful, but Soundwave is one of the few TFs that I think could fall back on his other formidable senses... between his wide sensor array, his super-hearing, and ability to read nearby electro-magnetic "brainwaves", I'd say that being blind is not going to faze him much.

So again... able as he is, I don't think Tracks has the chops or the sheer imagination to take down Soundwave.

zmog

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I see your point about the tech specs and profiles. Admittedly, the comics and cartoon have a wide variability to them, but the tech specs/profiles are always consistent because they're isolated. It's not like new profiles come out over and over, like comics.

It's just hard to take profiles/spec seriously. The whole skywarp issue. Optimus and Metroplex both having 10 strength. General characterizations that don't match well with any other bit of story (soundwave for example doesn't exhibit the personality traits his profile states.) They just form one strand of the tapestry along with comics and cartoons.

Thanks to hundreds of issues, the UK comic issues dominate by sheer weighting.

3. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Soundwave

4. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    Soundwave has a freaking army, it's no contest.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The tech specs came first so they are hardly hooey.

Anyway my votes for Soundwave.

Even thou his techs spec may indicate a disadvantage....he power base in my opinion would be the deciding factor.

Sound can be made into an effective weapon.

6. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

As much as I love me some good ole G1 car bots this one goes to Soundwave. Tracks is an ample warrior but Soundwave is like one of the elite cons. In my view, this matchup isn't much different than say Jazz vs. Dirge or maybe Prowl vs. T'Cracker. Sure the lesser fighter can serve up some licks of his own but they're dealing with the next "higher" class of bot. Soundwave Superior!

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

QFT. I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

You make a good point... though the consistency bred by the isolated nature of the early Tech Specs/TF Universe for me is to be treasured. Whenever the cartoon or comics deviated from the Tech Specs, my immediate response was "they got it wrong"... perhaps because even at that time, I was very cognizant of the fact that the comics and show were written by a disparate crew with uneven levels of talent and interest in the material.

Now, the "canon" (if you can call it that) is so full of contradictions, 'fanon' and borderline material that practically anything goes. In that sense, I like to refer to the old Tech Specs because they represent a pristine bible for what the TF's were meant to be... a sort of platonic ideal, amid the mire of all the fiction that has come afterward.

Naturally, there are flaws like those you mention even in that bible, like the Seeker stats-swap, and the Lambo twin switch, though nothing that can't be navigated with a bit of common sense. The base-10 stats scale is pretty vague... though I always assumed that the scale was relative for the giant guys, and that strength levels for those guys effectively went "off the scale" at 10.

And let's face it... that Tech Spec foundation was there so we could make our OWN adventures with the toys we owned. In many ways, the cartoon or DW comics are no more "canon" than the stories I played out in my backyard. :D 

Soundwave is an individual, as are his cassette "minions". He doesn't get to bring them into a one-on-one fight.

zmog

9. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Wait, you mean to tell me that some writers (Flint Dille) actually cared about their artwork and busted their ass to give us good stories while others (cough cough Donald Glut) gave us pure shit because they had no passion for their jobs!!!

Sorry, brought up memories of a past thread...

I couldn't agree with you more!

10. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    It would have been good to clarify whether or not soundwave gets to have his minions help him in the fight or not. Soundwave is dangerous with his mini army, but solo even Hound took him out once.

11. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    See the third post of the thread please...:thumbs2: 

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

For us all:thumbs2: 

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Final Count

Contest #6 is official with a final score of

Soundwave - 45
    Tracks - 9

I know this is a bit early, I will add any last minute votes at some point tomorrow!!

Again, discussion can continue but all voting for this contest is FINAL at this time. For the overall grid or the next matchup check the "March Madness Tournament" or the "[Region 4] Contest 7" threads.

14. Th3 Fall3n

Th3 Fall3n Unicrons First Apprentice

yeah soundwave is the man hes strong and over everything else hes sneaky and plays dirty WIN AT ANY COST!!!! VOTE SOUNDWAVE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!