[Region 4] Contest #5: Metroplex vs Ravage

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 15, 2009.

?

Contest #5: Metroplex vs Ravage

Poll closed Feb 16, 2009.
  1. Metroplex

71.2%
  2. Ravage

28.8%
  1. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Metroplex.

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Metroplex and Predaking did not show up prior to (or in) the cartoon movie. I consider Metroplex and Trypticon to be magnitudes larger than even the combiners. Even though a leader type is probably 1/5 the size of a combiner (comparing a truck to a medium sized building)...comparing mextroplex to a combiner is like comparing a medium sized city to a building which resides in it...like 100 times bigger or more. And I wouldn't call Omega supreme a city. He's exceptionally large, but he's just a large tank and rocket/shuttle.

3. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    If Metroplex knowlingly engaged Ravage in a fight, which I would expect is the case for these vs. battles, it's doubtful Metroplex would even be in city mode. But lets just say that he was in city mode, he would be on lockdown.

In the cartoon, Metroplex was infiltrated twice....one time thanks to Starscream's ghost sabotaging his defenses from the inside, allowing Scourge entry, so unless Ravage has 'Screamer helping him out, he doesn't stand a chance. The second time was when Swindle drove right up the ramp...but that was just silly G1 nonsense.

4. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Metroplex was in the movie according to Season 3

"By the year 2005, Metroplex had been installed as a sub-section of the larger Autobot City, now the main base of operations for the Autobots on Earth. During the Decepticons' attack on the city, the transforming cog which allowed Metroplex to transform to robot mode was destroyed, preventing him from participating in the battle, although he was manually converted to battle station mode by the Autobots inhabiting him. The Transformers: The Movie"

Predaking was the only exception to this rule which has been stated numerous times. I could have chosen skylynx or fort max but i chose predaking - he was needed to round out the #1 and #2 seeds.

I realize your point in size. But, it has nothing to do with size. Size was never a consideration on who should be in or who should be left out. Just because you are bigger does not mean you will automatically win. If you need any further proof just look at the fact that Metroplex's opponent (Ravage) has recieved way more votes than any of the other #16 seeds!!

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Metroplex is also a post-movie character. Much as I'm skeptical about Combiners' involvement, I am even moreso towards so-called "citybots".

On a side note, I've never adopted the "city mode" for these guys. Metroplex is a battle station, functionally just one structure, an autobot mobile outpost that can integrate with a larger city as a command station. Likewise, I prefer the comic book version of Trypticon... again, a mobile battle station. Still huge, but not nearly on the scale depicted in the cartoons (which generally took the least sensible interpretation of the characters).

As for the size differential, sure a cassette-mode Ravage could remain undetectable to Metroplex... but as a cassette he can hardly act against Metroplex. Even assuming that Ravage could somehow find his way inside (a big assumption even for a master of stealth), as a living battlestation, I would expect Metroplex to be acutely aware of his internal structures. Ravage could get in, and wind up sealed in a corridor between 2 blast doors... stuck waiting for Scamper to come finish him off.

I think a great story could be made out of Ravage's dangerous mission to sabotage Metroplex... and in that narrative context maybe I could see it happening. But overall, it's just stacked against him. To assume that more than half the time, Ravage would prevail against Metroplex is akin to treaking Laserbeak as a secret weapon to destroy Devastator. It's a little absurd.

I totally want to give props to Ravage for this being the kind of mission he could undertake and complete... but in a flat-out fight, he's barely got a chance.

zmog

6. iconscons

Well, I would disagree with you on Metroplex being in the movie, but the argument isn't one I feel is important whomever is right.

And I understand it isn't just about size (I genuinely voted for ravage). I just think City-bots make for uninteresting match ups. Maybe I'll be wrong. The only fights we've seen metroplex in is vs trypticon. And swindle single-handedly shut him down.

7. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    It could definitely be argued that Metroplex was in the movie.

"As shown later in the season afterwards, Metroplex was a part of Autobot City, as opposed to the city in itself. The city was still being built and when attacked Metroplex either wasn't 'awake' yet (thus needing the manual transformation of the city to defense mode) or including a portion transforming into a giant robot was added to prevent such future attacks between the movie and season 3."

8. iconscons

I love your tourny, so I'm hesitant to argue with you, but against my better judgment I will. The fact that you had to be told after the fact "Metroplex was there, we promise," means that he wasn't. You don't see him, or hear his name, or see any other sign of his existence. I'd sooner claim that red-alert was killed in the movie. At least some story boards prior to the movies release indicate it was an intent. The metroplex info you're citing is retcon at best. And for all you know, whatever piece was infact metroplex, was not shown on screen. Especially considering the overriding orange motif.

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

If Ravage can sneak up on Metroplex I give it to him...otherwise Metroplex takes it.

Your right, Skylynx did not appear till after the movie......But Predaking and Metroplex did not appear till after the movie as well.

Regardless of where you got that I would argue its wrong.

Metroplex was never named in the film and no section of Autobot city seen in the film came close to resembling him.

I know that season 3 retconed Metroplex into the movie but he really wasnt there.

It can be argued because Metroplex was not seen or mentioned in the movie.

Metroplex was not in the movie althou story wise season 3 places him there.

10. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I have to apologize...My memories of the storyboards from the movie apparently were not as good as I had thought. I was thinking of Fortress Maximus not Metroplex. My bad

[​IMG]

11. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I apologize for including two bots that did not follow my own rule :banghead: 

I will try harder to stick by set rules for future tournaments!!

BTW there are only six bots left to take part in this tournament...does anyone have any guesses or desires on who those six are??

I would think you would all be able to guess at least 2 of them!!

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

And lets not forget to mention that was a point in the stories development when the "CITY" was not a character.

So it was called "Fortress Maximus" but it was not intended to be a character but a city that changed into a fortress.

13. iconscons

ACK!!! Don't apologize! Including FortMax would be way worse. He was season 4 no matter what fill-in name is on that story board. At some point they wanted to put a city-bot into the movie...but the important thing is that they didn't. Actually, for this topic, even that's not important. Just glad you didn't put in Unicron. :D 

14. iconscons

Ironhide is conspicuously absent, as is soundwave...and snarl. Grapple maybe. Reflector maybe. Mirage probably.

15. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Ironhide was defeated by Grimlock in the first region. You may be on to something with a few of the others though...

The seeds we have left are

#4 vs #13
    #6 vs #11
    #7 vs #10

16. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I've given my vote to metroplex, I figger he knows he's in a fight and its against ravage so ravage isn't really going to sneek in and destory anythign importaint.

17. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I'm thinking: Soundwave,Mirage,Tracks,Smokescreen,Grapple and maybe Skids?

18. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Metroplex will just squish Ravage

19. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Perhaps, but ravage is diminutive enough so that his small size isn't a handicap, but rather an advantage. If we go by the cartoon:

Transformers G1 season 4 intro

Right around 0:29 you can see a small annoyance flying around and shooting at metroplex. It's a bit blurry but you can tell that's Bruticus desperately trying to do any damage he can, and failing.

20. iconscons

That's cool...I never noticed that before. Then than that confirms what I said earlier. If Bruticus is THAT small by comparison, then Metroplex vs Ravage is like a human vs bacteria. Too small to find, even if you're looking.

If metroplex can monitor his insides for intruders, and lock him in a corridoor then ravage has no chance..but besides that ravage could totally get in as he would be too small to see.

Of course, who knows the visual acuity of metroplex. Perhaps he can still see something 1/1,000,000,000 his own size clearly.