[Region 4] Contest #3: Galvatron vs Cliffjumper

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Contest #3: Galvatron vs Cliffjumper

Poll closed Feb 14, 2009.
  1. Galvatron

87.3%
  2. Cliffjumper

12.7%
  1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yes, but all (afaik) of the Evil leaders/high ranking robots have thought the good guys were weak. They still went out to kill them.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I actually much prefer Fortress Maximus as a smaller (though still huge) bot. I found him much more interesting that way, because otherwise the citybots tend to feel less like characters and more just weapons.

When did those mentioned above beat Galvatron? I don't think Galvatron had much of a presence in the US Marvel comics, and in the UK versions, wasn't Ultra Magnus constantly fighting a sort of losing battle against Galvatron?

zmog

3. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I agree, city-bots can't even interact in a meaningful way with anyone else. And yeah, Galvatron beat everyone he came across. Ultra magnus never beat him...fought him to a draw at best, usually with help. For goodness sake UM practically had a nervous breakdown at the the thought of fighting Galvatron one more time.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Galvatron had, what I call, a decent presence in the US G1 books from Marvel.

If I'm right he was heavily featured in over 10 issues.

5. SMOG

Really? I dropped Transformers somewhere shortly after the Headmasters made it to Earth and Pretenders started to become main characters, and only checked in periodically to see what was going on.

I remember Marvel US did a "flash-forward" two-parter (I think) to the post-movie continuity, but I don't remember Galvatron getting involved in the ongoing timeline like he did in the UK series.

zmog

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

That issue your refering too was actully a 1 parter....and at the end of it Galvatron was transported threw time by Unicrons's minions, Hook Line and Sinker, to the past [about the late 80's early 90's] which was the ongoing continuity of U.S. Marvel at the time.

It was durring Furmens run and the Matrix quest story arc.

Galvatron remained around till the end of the U.S. unicron saga.

He then returned near the end of the serries for at least 2 more issues.

7. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Sorry yeah UK run, Ultra Magnus beat galvatron in as much as he constantly stopped him doing what every his plan was, I think magnus through him self and galvatron into a volcano once to stop him. Magnus did end up with a real fear of galvatron.

Optimus was fighting him at the end of time war, I'll gie it galvatron was totally insane by then and fighting people who weren't there.

Rodimus the movie/comic of the movie.

Fort Max in the comics was actually the one that more or less finished him off, they had a huge battle and max dumped him in a watery grave under the ice, no body so galvatron could have come back but the comics ended so he didn't.

8. SMOG

The one I was referring to was a 1-parter... #43 "The Big Broadcast of 2006". It was an out-of-continuity filler issue set in the post-movie TV setting. I don't remember Hook, Line and Sinker making any appearances in the US Marvel version.

I dropped the title a few issues later with "Cash and Car-nage" because I couldn't take the feeble art and awful writing any longer. It was getting too embarrassing. In doing so, I missed the whole Underbase thing, and the coming of Furman to US Marvel. However, looking back on how bad that stretch was before I dumped the title, I can't fault myself. They asked for it.

Can you give me a specific issue that Galvatron made his US-continuity debut? I wasn't collecting at the time, but I was sort of peeking in periodically. I don't remember him being there at all, though obviously he would fit in once Furman effectively merged the US and UK continuity.

EDIT: Nevermind... I found it. TF Wiki to the rescue. Man, what was it with all the fraggin' PRETENDERS at the end of the run?? No wonder the series crashed.

zmog

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry thats not the issue I "THOUGHT" you were talking about.

I thought you were talking about issue #67
    [​IMG]

The art and writting did get better twards the end of the run.

Well he really didnt merg the two continuities.....it started with issue 67.

Here's a link to a cover gallery.
    Transformers Comic Books

10. SMOG

Yeah, I figured that one out eventually. :) 

I know, but unfortunately it was too little too late for me. I had already dropped Transformers once, but then picked up after Prime died and Grimlock first took command of the Autobots... it seemed like they were going in a promising direction. Things were okay for a while... but after the Pretenders made their appearance, it was over for me. It had so quickly left behind the "secret war on Earth" setting I wanted to see more of, and jumped wholeheartedly into the "******ed space opera" genre. *sigh*

Well, the UK continuity was the US continuity, except with more subplots to fill the blanks since UK Transformers was bi-weekly or something... wasn't it? So when Furman came to the US line, didn't it functionally just become the continuation/conclusion of the UK storyline?

zmog

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

For the most part.

No...because the UK books had plenty of ongoing plots and facts that never appeared in the US. not to One in particular is the Time Traveling "universal law" in the UK TF universe.

In the UK time travel had a side effect of taking an equal number of characters to those traveling and placeing them in a limbo dimension.

Meaning if one person came into the past one person in the past would travel to limbo.And this happened everytime "Time Travel" accrued.

This never accrued in the US book and was not a factor when future Galvatron was brought into the past by Unicron.

There are also characters that had different origins.

Bumblebee became Goldbug with the help of G.I.JOE in the US books but it was Wreck-Gar that repaired Bumblebee into Goldbug in the UK books.

12. SMOG

I imagine the person stuck in "limbo" always turned out to be a TF somehow connected with ongoing events, and not just some alien on a distant planet walking his dog and suddenly disappearing? :) 

That was always a problem, because Marvel never seemed to make up it's mind about whether GIJOE and Transformers actually shared a continuity or whether the crossovers were just isolated events. It seemed that it was mostly a one-way thing... GIJOE related events carried over into regular TF continuity (like Goldbug, and later GIJOE's involvement with G2 Megatron), but Transformer-related events never seemed to leak into regular GIJOE comics.

zmog

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

There you go:thumbs2: 

I wasnt much of a G.I.Joe fan so I wouldnt have known about the "double standard"...so to speak

14. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I like how Galvatron has no weakness section. :lol 

Needless to say, we all know who wins this one.

15. SMOG

I'm surprised... for the early years GIJOE had exceptional writing and reigned as one of Marvel's top sellers. Unfortunately it eventually devolved into a platform for Hasbro to shill their newer and increasingly lame toys. The first several years of Larry Hama writing was great... full of twists and drama, and dialogue rich with the military equivalent of hard-boiled detective poetry.

It was, in it's prime, a better comic than Transformers ever was sadly, though Transformers was closer to my robot-loving heart. :) 

zmog

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I barley liked the "Joe" cartoon so the comic wasnt a "must" for me.And in general I didnt like Army or war comics,stories or movies......I guess it was to close to the real world for me to be interested.

I have the same dislike for westerns and James Bond flicks.

Althou I was a fan of the Lone Ranger.

17. SMOG

Spoken like a true escapist. The only western you liked was the one that most resembled a super-hero! :) 

I didn't much like the GIJOE cartoon, but the comics were pretty good. Admittedly, if you weren't into spy/western/military stuff, you may not have liked it. The cartoon was pretty much kiddie sci-fi, but the comics were more in the serious military/espionage adventure vein.

zmog

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

"Escapist" is a term I havent heard in a while but I guess its a pretty fair assessment of how I was as a child and in my early teens.

Childhood was pretty ruff for me so I guess I always escaped to fantasy.And my fav characters were always the ones that would try to do everything on their own with little to no help or powers.

Batman,The Fonz,Daredevil,Lone Ranger,Cyclops,Wolverine,Jason [Battle of the Planets],

19. SMOG

Snake-Eyes? He's like the king of hard-luck cases. :) 

But I digress... to be clear, "escapist" was certainly not meant as a jibe. I think most children are escapists, as are probably most adults who still post on Transformer forums. :D 

zmog

20. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Your most likely right.