[Region 4] Contest #2: Blaster vs Hound

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 12, 2009.

?

Contest #2: Blaster vs Hound

Poll closed Feb 13, 2009.
  1. Blaster

71.7%
  2. Hound

28.3%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 4] Contest #2: #5 Seed Blaster vs #12 Seed Hound

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 13th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BLASTER

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: COMMUNICATIONS

"When the music is rockin', I'm rollin'."

Profile: Blaster likes to turn it up loud. That goes for the way he does everything: fighting, talking, playing - living! If Blaster is involved, he makes his presence known. He is in the forefront of any situation. But aside from the things he normally does in the course of being an Autobot, he has a special passion: Rock 'n' Roll. His ability to monitor radio transmissions has exposed him to many Earthen musical styles, all of which he finds interesting. But it is rock music - good, hard and loud - that really sparks his circuits. He'd much rather be lost in the sound of a searing guitar solo than fight Decepticons. However, when called upon he will do what he must for the Autobot cause, albeit reluctantly at times. As Blaster likes to point out, "I hate changing channels in mid-song."

Abilities: Blaster can assume the form and shrink to the size of an AM/FM stereo cassette deck. In addition to performing the normal functions of a deck, he can receive radio signals for all frequencies. He can detect signals with power outputs as weak as a millionth of a watt. His ability to transmit radio signals up to 4000 miles makes him the communications center for the Autobots. In robot form he carries an electro-scrambler gun, which emits powerful waves of electromagnetic energy that disrupt the operations of all but the most heavily shielded electrical devices. In theory, the gun should interfere with the minute electrical impulses of the human nervous system, but Blaster has never used the gun on a human.

Weaknesses: Blaster's most obvious weakness is for rock 'n' roll. He will walk unwittingly into a trap for the promise of hearing some new tunes. Radio static has the effect of hampering his operation and even, if strong enough, knocking him out completely.

HOUND

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: SCOUT

"Observe everything, remember even more."

Profile: Hound would just as soon be sniffing around the Grand Canyon or Big Sur as he would a secret Decepticon base. Perhaps more than any other Autobot, Hound takes pleasure in being on Earth. Unlike his home planet, which is entirely composed of metal and machinery, he finds the natural wonders of Earth endlessly fascinating, and uses his topographical skills to store every sight he sees within his memory circuits. Hound's bravery, fearlessness, and loyalty are unwavering, like any good advance scout. But his secret desire is to be human.

Abilities: While in his jeep mode, Hound uses his turret gun to sweep over the landscape from horizon to horizon, like a radar scope, and, with the help of internal 3-dimensional simulation circuitry, stores this information as a topographical map. Error distortion is no more than one inch per 150 feet distance from point of data collection. In robot mode, Hound's turret gun becomes an infrared radiation collector. It can detect heat differentials as small as .02 degrees Centigrade, and he uses this ability in tracking machines as well as humans. Hound's shoulder-mounted hologram gun can project 3-dimensional grid laser light images of terrain maps stored in his memory. He sometimes also can use it to cast simple illusions.

Weaknesses: Hound's infrared tracking ability can be countered by thermal interference. High frequency electromagnetic waves can distort or completely destroy his map-making ability. Sophisticated manipulation of such waves can even result in the recording of false images within his memory circuits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    You have to figure that in robot mode Blaster has the advantage in this fight but that in the alt modes the edge shifts to Hound.

Is Hound's holographic ability enough of a weapon to take out the stronger Blaster, especially given that Blaster's weapons are the exact type of weapon needed to disrupt such holograms.

Can Blaster compete when Hound is in car mode? Seems like Blaster would have to stay in robot mode the entire time. Who has the firepower to actually do the damage in this fight?

I LOVE Hound, but I think I am leaning toward Blaster in this fight...any thoughts all?

No 12 seed (or higher) has been able to pull off a win yet. Could Hound be the first?

Up to this point the two 11 seeds (Prowl and Jazz) have been the highest to pull off the upset.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I also love Hound, but I have to give it to Blaster too...

Sure Blaster only has one useful mode in this match, but for most purposes, I rate a giant robot over a jeep anyway. :) 

Physically, mentally, statistically, Blaster matches or exceeds Hound in pretty much every category. Neither are combat-specialized, but I think Blaster might have the edge in raw fighting skills too (though I admit that Marvel's characterization of him plays into this opinion a lot).

Hound's biggest asset would be his holograms and the potential there for trickery... except that Blaster seems to be exactly the wrong opponent to use that strategy on. Not only would Blaster probably be able to detect most illusions by way of his surveillance scanners and acute audio sensors, but his equipment can disrupt those illusions easily. Also the Electro-Scrambler is a hell of a weapon, especially when one has the muscle to back it up like Blaster.

Hound's only chance would be to use his strong observational skills and knowledge of terrain to outmaneuver and trap/ambush Blaster... he could totally go John Rambo on him (first movie, not sequels) :)  Blaster is very smart, but he's also brash, and on a bad day he might just walk right into it if Hound plays his cards right. But that's a long shot.

So yeah, I give it to Blaster because under most circumstances he'd take it... but Hound shouldn't be underestimated either...

zmog

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I like Hound way more than Blaster, but Blaster takes this one.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Just play more annoying music, and Hound would be begging for it to stop. Simple ;) 

Blaster ftw.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    "The Voice". Hound is a great character, but he's ill equipped to take out Blaster.

7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Blaster got Miniors not Hound.

8. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    What??

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I voted for Hound, 'cause he's my favorite... so? I have a weakness for Jeeps!

Still... this is kinda a close match, between Hound and Blaster. Both are cool characters and both have awesome skills. But still... I voted for Hound.

10. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I really like Hound also, but Blaster should win in a fight.

11. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Blaster wins. Poor Hound, they're both likeable characters.

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Hound can just run Blaster over and beat him up.

I like Hound.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    blaster

14. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Well this sucks! Two of my favorite characters. Logic says Blaster but my heart says Hound. Plus I'm a jeep lover and owner. Umm...ok gimme the underdog. Hound for the win...somehow someway.

15. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    I would've picked Hound if he was going up against some stupid Decepticon, but there's no way Blaster would lose to him.

Blaster for the win!

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Blaster

17. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I think in the right battlefield Hound takes this. In a very wooded, covered, field where Hound really shines using his tracking equipment I think he could ensnare and trap Blaster and take him out.

Blaster even though he isn't your classified warrior, is just basically a good warrior/soldier. He'd take it if it was a straightforward gun fight/battle.

Since I picture the fight and battlefield more just being like a arena or something, I think Hound isn't able to use his specialties and therefor blaster takes this fight.

18. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Man, I must say I am highly disappointed in the amount of discussion and votes this contest recieved. I thought this was a great contest AND it was not done on the weekend. Hopefully the other region 4 contests get a little more attention :( 

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Exactly my thoughts. In a straight fight, Blaster would take it, but under the right conditions Hound could turn the tables... but he'd really have to work for it.

zmog

20. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Final Count

Contest #2 is official with a final score of

Blaster - 33
    Hound - 13

Again, discussion can continue but all voting for this contest is FINAL at this time. For the overall grid or the next matchup check the "March Madness Tournament" or the "[Region 4] Contest 3" threads.