[Region 4] Contest #1: Skywarp vs Thrust

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Contest #1: Skywarp vs Thrust

Poll closed Feb 12, 2009.
  1. Skywarp

94.4%
  2. Thrust

5.6%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 4] Contest #1: #8 Seed Skywarp vs #9 Seed Thrust

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 12th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SKYWARP

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: WARRIOR

"Strike when the enemy isn't looking."

Profile: Skywarp is the sneakiest of the Decepticons. On Cybertron he was known to appear out of nowhere in the middle of peaceful Autobot villages to rain terror and destruction upon them, if the mood hit him. He'll even use his teleportation powers to play a prank on a fellow Decepticon. Everyone enjoys this except the butt of his joke since Skywarp's sense of humor tends to be rather cruel and physically abusive. Skywarp isn't too smart and would be totally useless without the supervision of Megatron.

Abilities: Skywarp can reach a top speed of 1500 mph. But what makes him unique is his ability to instantly teleport himself a maximum distance of 2.5 miles. He also carries a heat-seeking missile launcher and a variable-caliber machine gun.

Weaknesses: Skywarp's control of the accuracy of his teleportation power diminishes as the distance he teleports increases. As a result, if he's not too careful, he's likely to crash into things when he arrives at where he's teleporting. Not being too bright doesn't help him avoid these accidents either.

THRUST

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: WARRIOR

"My engines' roar is my enemies' song of doom!"

Profile: Rattling the very air with the roar of his jet engines, Thrust is one Decepticon who cares little for the ways of deceit. He believes that half the battle is won if he can "psych out" his enemy by his mere arrival, and so he makes no attempt to be sneaky. His ability to suddenly and powerfully accelerate can literally shake apart a nearby building, and he delights in the havoc that ensues. He is a loud-mouthed braggart who is prone to pompously claim certain victory before a fight has barely begun. But in truth, his courage is as much bluster and noise as his actions and words: a strong counterattack by an opponent usually results in a view of Thrust's tailwings as he recedes into the distance.

Abilities: In jet mode, Thrust can fly at speeds of Mach 2.5, but can accelerate in 20 seconds to twice that speed, which he can maintain for up to two minutes. He carries two concussion bomb missile launchers and two compressed air rifles, each of which can shoot a hole in ΒΌ inch-thick steel plate from a distance of 1200 yards.

Weaknesses: Thrust isn't very brave. If he's not careful when rapidly accelerating, his engines can stall, causing him to fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Since Skywarp's tech specs are really Starscreams, here is what Skywarp's should be...

[​IMG]

3. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Skywarp wins. Would be very interesting fight but I think the teleporting gives him an edge in an otherwise close tussle

Regards

JL

4. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Hmm, I guess Skywarp.

5. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Ditto.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I got to say Skywarp as well....due to a combination of his teleport ability and Thrust inability to use any guile or sneak attacks.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This is kind of a funny match up because they are in many ways, complete opposites. One is sneaky and underhanded, the other is an obnoxious braggart who relies on bluster to intimidate his foes.

Even tossing out Skywarp's stats entirely, I think he'll likely take this one. Both are adept aerial combatants who would appear to be closely matched, but Skywarp has a big cheat in the form of his teleportation. I would even go so far as to say that Skywarp would enjoy taking the wind out of Thrust's sails, humiliating him for his own puerile amusement.

Also, as noted, Thrust doesn't deal with adversity well... as soon as Skywarp proved to be a more elusive and dangerous foe than expected, Thrust would likely panic and attempt to retreat, putting his superior speed to work... though it won't get him the victory. :) 

So Skywarp...

On a total side note, I always thought that, like Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, it seemed like the 1985 Seekers also might have had their molds switched up. Ramjet has the conspicuous boosters on his wings, which would fit Thrust's rapid acceleration power better. Thrust had those VTOL engines which are never mentioned in his profile... which I can imagine fitting better with Dirge, whose engines emit a drone that elicits fear in his enemies. That leaves the Dirge mold for Ramjet... who just crashes into things.

Has this ever occurred to anyone else?

zmog

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

It was stated somewhere that Skywarp wasn't smart enough to utilize the teleportation to great effect, but...

...I just don't trust the Ultimate Guide.

So, Warp, even though i like Thrust more.

EDIT: DAMMIT. WRONG BUTTON. PLEASE COUNT MY VOTE FOR THRUST AS A VOTE FOR WARP.

9. SMOG

I think that just means that Skywarp only uses his teleportation for basic things, like sneaking up on people, rather than really complex tricks that would involve reversing or displacing his airborne momentum, or fanboy theories like dimensional rift side-stepping or teleporting his fist into Prime's brain or something... :) 

zmog

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Skywarp, He is the better fighter of the 2, although he gets a bit mashed and reformated by Unicron. I still think Skywarp is older and more knowing then Thrust.

11. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Actually, Thundercracker has Skywarp's stats. They're all mixed up like this:

Starscream has T'cracker's stats
    Skywarp has Starscream's stats
    Thundercracker has Skywarp's stats

Notice the low intellegence rating, which is consistent with Skywarp's bio.

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Skywarp can Teleport himshelf and kills Thrust.

13. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I agree with all of you that Skywarp would most likely win this battle.

However, does anyone else find it odd that the seeker battles have been so lopsided? Unlike most of the other contests they are pitting like-sized bots with similar abilities against each other, yet the contests have ended with

22-9, 17-3, 40-8 and so far 21-0 votes.

I put the most popular as the 8 seeds (Thundercracker, Skywarp, Starscream, and Cyclonus) with the second tier as the 9 seeds (Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, Scourge). I guess I could have paired them differently but I just believed all of them would be closer matchups than they have turned out to be. Even the upset by Ramjet was a blowout!

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that at all, just surprises me a little bit is all.

14. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Skywarp. Two teleports and the battle is his.

Treadshot, PM a mod and he can change your vote for you.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Skywarp.

17. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

They are, but that makes sense...same as cyclonus vs scourge. When two competitors are similar, but one is a little better, it's clear who wins. If bot A and B are exactly alike, accept bot A has one small advantage, it becomes difficult to see Bot B win.

If you asked "what's bigger, 1000 or 1001" even though it's close, the winner is undeniable.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

Skywarp gets my vote here.

19. SMOG

Yeah, the closely matched battles are such that even though the battle is close and could go either way based on luck or happenstance, when one character has a small advantage to distinguish him, we'll vote that way.

When the matches are wildly mismatched, our juvenile fanboy brains have to work overtime and come up with reasons why the underdog could somehow win against all reason. :) 

zmog

20. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

A vote for 'warp is certain.