[Region 3] Contest #8: Devastator vs Laserbeak

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Contest #8: Devastator vs Laserbeak

Poll closed Feb 11, 2009.
  1. Devastator

66.2%
  2. Laserbeak

33.8%
  1. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Laserbeak would totally transform into his alt mode as a mix tape of bad 80's hairbands and... and, um... what does Laserbeak's alt mode do, exactly?

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Oh come on! 30% for laserbeak. Whatever.

Why don't we just have my mom defeat Optimus prime.

It's because of people like this that it becomes hard to have an interesting discussion on a close fight without being dismissed as stupid, or voting by popularity.

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Devastator...

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    im going to have to go with Dev on this one

5. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I vote Devestator, he probably wouldn't even have to really even realize he's in a fight. The constructicons would just combine and he's go ape shit right away destroying everything and poor little laserbeak would be in all the rubble not having a single chance at all.

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Laserbeak

BTW, what's the "region" mean? Also, what's with the link to a .mht file? Word opens it by default, but it it looks like a garbage file.

7. Lakanl

Lakanl Footmaster

I think Lazerbeak would be annoying to Devestator. However as previously stated Lazerbeak is a coward. If he went with the whittle him down strategy, he would eventuially run out of shots, turn tail and flee. If I remember correctly, the Autobots had a hell of a time tring to hurt him with there little spoot-spoot lazerguns. And if 6+ Autobots coulden't take him down with there combined might, what chance does tiny little Lazerbeak have?

An the flip side, as previously stated Devestator is slow because of his six personalitys conflcting with each other. I think Devistator would have a hell of a time trying to hit the little bugger. Or formulating a strategy to deal with him. Considering his motto.

So the big bot would swing wildly and maybe land a lucky hit. Or maybe lazerbeak runs out of shots and flees.

My votes on Devistator.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Seriously, Devastator can swat Laserbeak like a fly.

9. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    The region just stands for a fourth of the bracket. There are 4 sections or regions of 16 bots each and eventually one bot from each region will make it to the final four.

Usually a region in the NCAAs is somewhat by geographic area. For the tournament I tried to group it into like bots. For example this last region had Wheeljack, Perceptor, Prowl, Ratchet, Shockwave, and some other more scientific/logic centered bots. It doesnt really hold up but I tried to when I had the chance to do stuff like that.

As for the MHT file it works fine for me and it works fine for a couple others i have talked to, is anyone else not able to view the whole bracket??

If you are using firefox it might not work but on explorer it works fine

10. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Open the that link with Internet Explorer, its meant to be a pic hosted up on a web page. Firefox won't open it so it has to be Internet Explorer.

11. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because to do that she would have to leave my bed and we all know that I'm not going to let that happen.

Laserbeak would actually stand a chance against the big D if he could get a nice king hit in. I mean he's got the speed, flight and agility advantage. If he keeps his distance (which would be easy) then it's just going to be a firefight. D is a huuuuge target too.

12. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Laserbeak. [​IMG]

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Laserbeak

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Starscream: "Lord Megatron... the Constructicons have merged and Devastator is running berserk! What can we do??"

Megatron: "Truly, this is our darkest hour, Starscream... our greatest weapon has turned against us! But do not fear... I'll send Laserbeak to defeat him, and everything will be fine. Thank Primus for Laserbeak! While he's at it, I'll just get him to kill Abominus, Bruticus and Menasor too... they've been pissing me off lately."

Apparently this scenario is plausible to some of you.

I'm sorry guys... but Laserbeak has a third of the vote, so I think a third of our contributors must be suffering from head injuries. :p 

zmog

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Maybe its some new kind of Napoleon complex.....

16. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Well, look, for those who dismiss Lazerbeak entirely, it isn't impossible for him to win. What's to stop him shooting at Dev, flying away, reloading, and shooting again?

Plus, we all know he doesn't have to shoot the whole combiner. A well placed shot (or a few, i guess) to the eye would work. No use having a Dev who can't see. Everything would be flattened, unless it was in the sky. Where do we think Beak will be?

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Then Lazerbeak would have 6 cons gunning for him instead of 1.

Either way I see Lazerbeak getting beat.

18. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Didn't Buzzsaw take out Omega Supreme?

19. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I can't believe so many people voted for Laserbeak. Geez man shouldn't Lazerbeak be fighting Someone of near equal size? Certainly not Devastator.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

It's not impossible... it's just against all likelihood.

Just because Laserbeak can fly doesn't mean he's untouchable. Devastator has his solar rifle that fires a heat beam equivalent to a nuclear blast, with a 6 mile range. He's also very large, so although that makes him a big target, that also gives him a hell of a reach should Laserbeak move in close. I think we can pretty much agree that one tag with a blast or a hand, and Laserbeak's down for the count.

On the other hand, I consider it unlikely that Laserbeak's lasers would make much of a dent in Devastator. Even his so-called "weak spots" are likely heavily shielded. If we are to take Combiners seriously as even remotely effective super-weapons, then we have to assume they cannot easily be outdone by a lone cassetticon... the very idea is ridiculous.

Your "firing then going away to reload them coming back" strategy seems kind of laughable to me. If you are forced to leave the theater of operations to restock your armaments, just so you can come back later, empty them ... and repeat, that's gotta be considered a loss. :) 

Plus, Laserbeak's cowardice would have to factor into this fight. There's no way he'd risk a prolonged engagement alone against a foe that could END HIM so abruptly. He'd take a few shots, see how little impact his precious lasers were making, and be out of there so fast, Devastator would be awarded the victory before he realized he'd been shot a few times.

I'm just noticing a thread running through the Combiner bouts, where people automatically assume that because the opponent is bigger and slower, then the smaller one will magically take the victory though guile and agility. I think some folks have been reared on too many "underdog" storylines in popular culture, to the point that they just automatically favour the smaller fighter regardless of the odds... and Laserbeak vs Devastator... that's some LONG odds!

Yes, David beat Goliath, but that's because he had the ultimate cheat code (ie: GOD!!!). ;) 

See earlier comments about the worthwhile differences between "Canon" and "Stupid Canon".

And I have it on good authority that Omega Supreme actually just died of old age at the precise instant that Buzzsaw gunned for him. It was very lucky. :) 

zmog