[Region 3] Contest #8: Devastator vs Laserbeak

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Contest #8: Devastator vs Laserbeak

Poll closed Feb 11, 2009.
  1. Devastator

66.2%
  2. Laserbeak

33.8%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #8: #1 Seed Devastator vs #16 Seed Laserbeak

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 11th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DEVASTATOR

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    SUB-GROUP: CONSTRUCTICON
    FUNCTION: WARRIOR

"Thinking and winning do not mix."

Profile: Awesome and terrifying, Devastator is the bizarre result of the six Constructicons - Scrapper, Scavenger, Bonecrusher, Hook, Long Haul and Mixmaster - joining together to form a single giant robot. He is ungainly and plodding, but he is also brutality in its purest form - a mechanical being whose sole purpose is to crush and destroy all that stands in its path. Devastator's mind is truly unique and his own, a melding together of his six components, but it also represents a compromise: his thoughts are limited to what the six can agree upon. The carrying out of any complex thoughts is severely impeded by their competing minds. Thus, Devastator is seemingly a creature of almost pure instinct - usually he acts before he can fully contemplate the consequences of his actions. These actions are usually simple, direct and extremely violent.

Abilities: Devastator has many of the abilities of his component parts, but is somewhat limited in their use by his limited mental functions and awkward form. He is over 60 feet tall and has incredible strength - he can knock down a bridge with one punch. His solar energy rifle shoots a 10,000 degree centigrade heat beam a distance of six miles.

Weaknesses: Devastator is slow and awkward, and is relatively easy to trip up. The inability of his six component parts to better cooperate inhibits his mental functions, allowing him to be easily outfoxed by most opponents.

LASERBEAK

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: INTERROGATION

"The only point I like in Autobots: melting point."

Profile: Laserbeak takes a sadistic pleasure in hunting his prey. He prefers to play with them and slowly cripple them before moving in for the kill. On Cybertron, his appearance on the battlefront would usually mean the battle was over and the Decepticons had won. Then it would be his turn to pick off the straggling survivors. However, given a situation where the odds are against him, he is clearly not very brave. He'll run for safety. And he makes no attempt to hide this fear. If Decepticon Leader Megatron didn't have a special appreciation for Laserbeak's lethal style, he might have gotten rid of Laserbeak a long time ago.

Abilities: In robot mode, Laserbeak can fly at speeds of up to 250 mph with a range of 1500 miles. He has two independently targetable laser cannons that can fly on their own. Laserbeak emits a laser beam that is able to pierce a 2-inch thick plate steel at a distance of 30 miles. Laserbeak uses these beams like a surgeon uses his scalpels - with extreme precision. He employs this talent to persuade captives to reveal secret information - before he disposes of them.

Weaknesses: The Autobots are well aware of Laserbeak's lack of bravery and take advantage of that flaw to thwart his machinations whenever they can. Also, Laserbeak has a serious dependency on ruby crystals, which empower his lasers. When his supply runs out, he's been known to become so terrified of his vulnerability that his systems completely shut down and he becomes immobile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AMG

AMG Old School

Devastator.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Devastator

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    does nto LAzerbeak beat Oemga in the comic ?

I have to say Dev to, This is a easy win for Dev.

5. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Laserbeak is too small for Dev to hit. He's fly circles around Dev and eventually Dev would get dizzy and his head would fall off. Easy win.

6. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Yea he did.

I'd go for Lazerbeak, but I think Buzzsaw would finish the job faster.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's Buzzsaw who pwns OS in the comic.

Devy's going to win this one via votes, but I voted Laserbeak just because Laserbeak has such a high success rate compared to the other cons across the mediums. In the fight he'd keep his distance and launch both of his laser/rockets and attack from 3 different angles at once to confuse poor Devy while his lasers burn at the joints until Devs falls apart as the Constructicon hive mind gets increasingly flustered.

8. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Devastator!

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Here's what i think will happen:

Everyone knows Dev can't hit 'Beak, but they like him so much, they ignore/forget logic and vote for Dev anyway. Simple. ;) 

Of course, me vote for teh beak.

10. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know I saw this guy...and a mosquito was flying around his head. 5 minutes later the guy admitted defeat when his head fell off.

11. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Laserbeak may be highly efficient and could fly fly circles around Devastator constantly peppering Devy with his weapons. However, if Devastator manages to get one hit, Laserbeak is out. Win for Devastator.

12. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

OH wait wait..

Lazerbeak: *buuzzZZZZZzzzzzz*
    Devastator: *SWAT*

Winner - Big Devs

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I thought that was Buzzsaw

14. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Laserbeak, unlike some of Megatron's warriors he never fails him.

15. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    This.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

LOL! Yeah, right. That sums up my opinion too. :D 

Like many of the "Small Guy vs Combiner" fights we've had so far, some folks seem to confuse the ability to ESCAPE DEATH for a path to victory. Laserbeak can escape Devastator at any time. But can he defeat him? Prevent him from performing a task or going somewhere? Nope. He really doesn't have a chance.

Laserbeak is fast, and has reasonably powerful weapons... Devastator is going to have a hard time landing a hit, so the annoyance factor is going to be big for him. But he's hardly going to just fall apart because there's an irritating bug harassing him... I mean, if it were that easy, the whole concept of combiners as "ultimate weapons" would be pretty useless wouldn't it?

Add to this the simple fact that Laserbeak is an avowed coward. Any tiny chance he had to engage Devastator, mislead him, trick him whatever... is going to go out the window the second he sees Devastator stomping up to him! He simply doesn't have the guts to take the chance. He's going to drop a load of waste lube on the spot, and be in the next state before Devvie can smell it. :) 

This is a match that Laserbeak could never win, but I think it would also be the first of all these matches to be lost by forfeit.

DEVASTATOR wins.

And as to the "Buzzsaw Killed Omega" clause... Omega took shots from Megatron without flinching... BUZZSAW is going to take him down?? Seriously people... we need to start separating canon from stupid canon here. That stands as clear evidence that we fans care more about logic and continuity in Transformers than most comics and toon writers EVER did.

zmog

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Winner = Devastator

I mean, c'mon... how could Laserbeak possibly stand a chance against Devastator?

18. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Laserbeak.

19. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Laserbeak.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Just for the record... you guys voting for Laserbeak are ridiculous. :) 

zmog