[Region 3] Contest #7: Swoop vs Prowl

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 9, 2009.

?

Contest #7: Swoop vs Prowl

Poll closed Feb 10, 2009.
  1. Swoop

23.2%
  2. Prowl

76.8%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #7: #6 Seed Swoop vs #11 Seed Prowl

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 10th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SWOOP

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    SUB-GROUP: DINOBOT
    FUNCTION: BOMBARDIER

"Fear can hit targets unreachable to bullets."

Profile: Making a spectacular descent from the sky, Swoop watches with unhidden glee as his enemies scatter in terror before his looming presence. And that's just the way he likes it because he knows fear is a more effective weapon than any equipment he carries. Fear is also his greatest friend. His ability to cause it in others is the sole comfort he derives from the form generally considered the most horrifying of all the Dinobots. Even his comrades shy away from him. And that is Swoop's tragedy. Four million years ago, when the Ark adapted his Autobot body to resemble that of a pterodactyl's, he gladly accepted the disguise as his contribution to the Autobot cause. Little did he know back then that the good-natured, kind mechanoid that he was - and still is - would be disguised as well.

Abilities: In flying mode, Swoop can soar up to 250 mph. Under each wing he carries an air-to-air missile launcher. Each missile is the equivalent of 5000 lbs. of TNT. Although the missiles have a range of 8 miles and are very accurate, Swoop's specialty is swooping down to low altitudes and releasing them virtually point blank at their targets, and then speeding away. In Autobot mode he can also use the launchers, as well as a thermal sword, which, by heating up to temperatures of 4000 degrees Centigrade, can slice through most materials by melting through them as it passes.

Weaknesses: Although he's extremely maneuverable and has great endurance due to low fuel consumption, Swoop is vulnerable to enemy firepower due to the relatively fragile nature of his wings.

PROWL

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: MILITARY STRATEGIST AND ANALYST

"Logic is the ultimate weapon."

Profile: He is quiet, competent, and very loyal, but perhaps his most valuable trait is his almost endless patience. Once Prowl is assigned a task, he will keep at it until it is accomplished. He works with proven facts, not imagination or guesses. If he has any doubts, he will radio Optimus Prime, his commander, before proceeding. He hates doubts in any form, and he strives to make everything he encounters reasonable and logical. He believes it only when he can explain it. On a personal level he is friendly, but not too sociable. He's a listener, not a talker, unless someone says something unreasonable. Then he will demand an explanation.

Abilities: Prowl has the most sophisticated logic center of all the Autobots, giving him the ability to analyze any combat situation almost instantaneously and then advise on the optimal course of action. For example, Prowl can observe 800 moving objects, compute their probable paths of movement, and determine the proper countermove in .05 seconds. From his shoulder cannons he can shoot wire-guided incendiary missiles that reach temperatures of 12,000 degrees Centigrade upon explosion. He also carries a semi-automatic rifle that shoots pellets filled with a highly corrosive acid. Its range is 300 yards.

Weaknesses: His dedication to logic and reason makes Prowl particularly vulnerable to the unexpected. Irrational and inexplicable situations can really scramble his circuits, sometimes to the point of total shutdown of his mechano-cortex center, leaving him temporarily dysfunctional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Well, the Dinobots are 2-1 so far in this tournament...

How will the fourth one fare??

3. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Gotta give it to Prowl. Swoop is far and away and the weakest Dinobot and even though he is stronger, Prowl is smarter and will come up with a way to beat Swoop.

4. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Actually if you go by the Tech Specs, Prowl is actually the stronger one...

Swoops is a little faster and has more firepower but every other category Prowl outscores Swoop in.

Fear vs Logic baby!! Who will win?

5. AMG

AMG Old School

I will go with Prowl here. He's patient, very smart and will get the job done.

6. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

True, but my little TF world is based more off of the cartoon. Swoop is stronger than most of the autobots. :) 

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I say Swoop.

I just never felt Prowl was a good fighter

8. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Hmmm... another one I'm pretty undecided so far with. It can really go either way, it just depends who gets the upper hand first.

I think Prowl has more fire power and smarts that he could take Swoop just out right head to head, BUT if Swoop can do something tactical wise to use his fear advantage to throw Prowl off guard he can then come in and take out Prowl before he knows what to do. Prowl's weakness is the unexpected or unexplained, which can lead him to shut down completely. Swoop, if acting fast enough can take the fight right out of Prowl and end it quickly. If the battle gets drawn out then Prowl will have the advantage.

9. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Prowl.

10. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Swoop.

11. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Prowl=Tactician.
    Swoop=Warrior.

Warrior>Tactician

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This is a really tough fight...

I think this is a poll that may suffer from a lot of misconceptions. One, Swoop is not especially strong or tough. The cartoon universe made the Dinos bigger and stronger than regular TFs, but it was never really established that Swoop had that kind of muscle. Certainly in most other media, the Dinobots are really not fundamentally different than other TFs. Rough and tough certainly, but not in a whole other class.

Secondly, Prowl never gets any respect. He was heavily marginalized in the cartoon, and in IDW comes across mainly as an anally retentive functionary. The fact of the matter is that Prowl is one of the Autobot elite... one of Prime's inner command circle, both warrior and scholar. He is calm, precise, lightning-quick and astoundingly smart. In terms of physical and mental faculties, he's one of the highest ranked Autobots. He is not a foe to take lightly at all.

Thirdly, Prowl's "weakness"... the supposed fact that highly illogical circumstances can scramble his circuits. To expect that a seasoned battlefield commander could be "scrambled" by anything Swoop could come up with is ridiculous. Perhaps if Prowl were confronted with a physical impossibility, a magical conundrum, or a surreal nightmare vision... that might throw him. But a guy who can take in and accurately calculate the projected paths of 800 moving objects instantaneously is NOT someone who is going to be fazed by one-on-one combat with a Dinobot. Swoop tends to rely on fear, so Prowl's cold, logical approach is a perfect counter. Pretty much NOTHING is going to really confuse Prowl. :) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now that I've leveled the playing field a bit, where does that leave us? Prowl has every advantage over Swoop, except flight and firepower. Could his strategic thinking and skill compensate for these factors? I say yes.

Swoop likes to strike fear into his opponents, so making a stealthy attack is not his style. He wants to see his enemies panic... however, against Prowl this is not going to happen. As Swoop screams out of the sky to deliver his missile payload, instead of scattering, Prowl calmly holds his ground and sizes up the situation immediately. He instantly calculates the proper vector and timing to divert the missiles off course, and delivers a pinpoint accurate shot to Swoop's wingtip.

The missiles goes wild, and Swoop must struggle pull out of his disrupted dive at the last instant. Assuming he doesn't crash, he'll probably try to gain altitude again to renew his attack. The problem is that Swoop really isn't all that fast for an airborne vehicle, and Prowl has ample time to deliver precise shots to Swoop's weak areas, his wings... most likely grounding him.

At this point, the fight could go either way. Even grounded, Swoop is still no slouch. If he closes distance, it could get dirty. Prowl is still stronger and more skilled, but that sword makes Swoop a deadly opponent!

Prowl knows this... on the ground his car mode grants him greater speed and mobility, which he uses to stay out of Swoop's way until he can take clean shots at him, keeping him off balance and unable to lash out with the sword or prep another missile.

With Swoop finally weakened by searing acid pellets burning into his chassis, Prowl finishes it off with the remaining incendiary missile he was saving for this phase of the battle... all according to the plan.

I admit that one mistake, and the tide could easily be turned in Swoop's favour. However, giving Prowl his due, he hardly ever makes mistakes.

Winner = Prowl

zmog

13. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Easy win for Prowl. This shouldn't even be close. Swoop is the weakest of the Dinobots, and has an EASILY EXPLOITABLE weakness. If Prowl is a Military Strategist, you'd better believe he's going to exploit that weakness.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Of the two, I vastly like Swoop more then Prowl.

However, in a fight, I'm agreeing with the above posters, Prowl isn't second in command for no good reason and Swoop has a combat exploitable weakness. Swoops best chance is to swoop in, transform, and attack with the sword and missles at point blank range and hopes he survives. Prowl on the other hand, has a variety of strategies to employ and really has the upper hand in this fight.

15. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Prowl, but he'll have to be very careful. Luckily he's good at that type of thing.

16. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Were you planning on casting a vote?

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I said.............

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Prowl all the way.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I can't help but agree.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Swoop has the flying ability on his side but his wings are fragile and if Prowl hits them he cant fly anymore. His body except the wings are of course dinobot strong so Prowl can only aim for the wings when Swoop flyes upp in the air. Swoops missiles that he can fires in both bot and dino mode is extremly explosiv and prowl is not the very most agile fighter. The Sword is great for close combat.

Prowl, has his anylasation thingy going for him and can analyse the situation in .o5 sec.
    his handgun is though not very long only 300 yards but his missile launcher is better.

I still say It will be a close call with Swoop bombarding Prowl from the sky and those are not some small boms 5000 lbs ( about 2500 kilos) that is one giant bomb

a land mine to blow a hole in the a tank needs about 2-3 kilos if i remeber correctly.

Swoop wins because he can just missile lauch prowl from the sky or from afar in bot mode.It will be a close fight though.