[Region 3] Contest #6: Defensor vs Cosmos

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 8, 2009.

?

Contest #6: Defensor vs Cosmos

Poll closed Feb 9, 2009.
  1. Defensor

77.1%
  2. Cosmos

22.9%
  1. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'd be far more comfortable with that. A final 4 (or 5) of Omega, Metroplex, Trypticon, Scorponok, and Fort Max seems reasonable. Blastoff and cosmos in a final four seems absurd. The likely hood of a minibot being able to harm defensor from such distances seems implausible. I would imagine that defensor would just wait until cosmos ran out of power and had to come back down. How many bombs can cosmos have? How long can he shoot lasers from space? I just can't see defensor being harmed by this, especially with his defensor force shield.

2. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Cosmos.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cosmos, because he's cool lol

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

With regard to Pravus Prime's long list of Cosmos badassery... unfortunately, I'd throw almost all of that out. Not because it's not "canon", but because it's "stupid canon". :) 

Part of the point (that I see at least) in these match ups is taking characters at their listed capabilities, and seeing who would prevail, freed from the constraints of contrived or badly handled narrative.

However, you still raise valid points for the match-up. If Cosmos can manage re-entry (let's leave the Sun out of it, thanks), he probably has some decent heat shielding. Like most re-entry devices, this shielding is probably not all over his body, or particularly resistant to impact weaponry, but it's probably enough to take the edge off Defensor's primary weaponry (though not reduce it's effectiveness completely).

Also, as pointed out, Cosmos is fast, agile and airborne. This also gives him an advantage over lumbering Defensor... he can buzz around him, keeping out of reach for the most part, and zapping Defensor at will. This is not to say that Defensor won't come up with ways of tagging Cosmos. Unlike most Combiners, Defensor is actually smart, and certainly capable of forming inventive strategies.

Also, both characters have a tendency to get distracted, so I don't think these are relevant weaknesses to this fight. Defensor is concerned for the safety of others, but if that's a factor, then we must assume that Cosmos wouldn't do anything to endanger humans either.

Here's the question... how powerful is Cosmos' particle beam? I would say it's pretty strong (Firepower 7), but probably not enough to do any lasting damage to Defensor. Combiners are tough nuts to crack, and anything under 9 or 10 Firepower is probably not going to be anything more than a sting for them. I don't think Cosmos has the power to actually KO Defensor... not even close.

So can Cosmos outlast Defensor? Can he hide out at high altitude, occasionally dropping lower to fire off a few blasts, and then wait Defensor out?

Probably. But I don't think that can be considered a victory. That would be like me saying I'm going to defeat Steven Seagal by running away and waiting for him to die of old age. :) 

This is very similar to the Powerglide/Superion fight. Of course Cosmos can harrass Defensor, and escape at any time. However, without a defined arena, I don't think victory can be determined by simply being absent from the conflict. Could Cosmos engage Defensor in order to keep him from performing some task? Prevent him from going somewhere? Probably not.

And while Cosmos can pepper Defensor with irritating beam attacks, all it takes is one lucky swat from Defensor to end this fight. The law of averages favours Defensor heavily.

Nice try Cosmos. :) 

zmog

5. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

The fact people are bringing up now that Defensor would be too busy protecting the humans isn't a really good valid point. We're all to just assume that there aren't any humans around. If there were then we'd have to rethink just about every other contest and take this fact into consideration and then that may have altered some previous fights.

As much as Smog said here, I don't think Cosmos has the firepower to really damage Defensor. Besides Defensor has other weapons other than just a flame thrower so he'll more than likely use those as well. It comes down to just a matter of how long it takes to hit him. Defensor has the intelligence to come up with that in battle.

6. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Cosmos for the Win!

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Defensor

8. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Winner= Defensor.

9. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I agree with most of what you said. However, lets remember that their are no rules to where this fight takes place. If someone wants it to take place in the wide open (thats what I usually envision) then thats fine. If someone wants to dream it up in the middle of New York, thats fine as well. It is all up to your own creative ability and imagination.

That being said, this is still a one on one battle, so you have to be careful with letting anything else (like humans) interfere in that!

10. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    When did Cosmos go through the sun? Only time I remember him being anywhere near the sun was in the cartoon's "Megatron's Master Plan" and at that time, he was shielded by Trailbreaker's forcefield.

11. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Final Count

Contest #6 is official with a final score of

Defensor - 37
    Cosmos - 11

Again, discussion can continue but all voting for this contest is FINAL at this time. For the overall grid or the next matchup check the "March Madness Tournament" or the "[Region 3] Contest 7" threads.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I have to completely agree.

Defensor = win