[Region 3] Contest #6: Defensor vs Cosmos

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 8, 2009.

?

Contest #6: Defensor vs Cosmos

Poll closed Feb 9, 2009.
  1. Defensor

77.1%
  2. Cosmos

22.9%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #6: #2 Seed Defensor vs #15 Seed Cosmos

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 9th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DEFENSOR

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    SUB-GROUP: PROTECTOBOT
    FUNCTION: DEFENSIVE OPERATIONS

"As long as one innocent being is threatened, none are truly free."

Profile: Charged with the awesome responsibility of protecting humans from Decepticon attacks, Defensor views the people of Earth as if they were his own children. Using all his power and strength, he'll fight until his last drop of fuel is expended before he'll allow a person to be harmed. His is a kinship that defies logic; in fact, many of the other Autobots worry that Defensor undermines his own effectiveness by being so emotionally attached to humans. Inevitably, Defensor is disappointed by this cross-species friendship he tries to foster. Although he thinks of himself as one of the humans, much like a sheepdog among a flock of sheep, rarely do humans consider this hulking, mechanical alien one of them. More likely, they consider Defensor a threat, as terrifying as any Decepticon. So far, this is a bitter truth that Defensor refuses to accept.

Abilities: Defensor has tremendous strength. He can lift 300,000 pounds with one hand. As a combination of the five Protectobots - Blades, Streetwise, Groove, First Aid, and Hot Spot - Defensor has a mind that is surprisingly sharp. Occasionally, he suffers from brief mental lapses when the portion of his mind that is Groove's wanders. He is impervious to most artillery. He can surround himself and a 50-foot circle around him with a protective force-field. This, however, takes tremendous energy, so Defensor rarely uses the force-field for more than a minute at a time. He wields a fireball cannon, which shoots 2000 degree Fahrenheit bursts of blue fire up to 1.5 miles.

Weaknesses: Other than the aforementioned brief mental lapses, Defensor's limbs sometimes fail to move upon command from his brain, apparently due to poor circuit connections. He is not especially mobile or agile.

COSMOS

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: RECONNAISSANCE & COMMUNICATIONS

"Reach for the stars, but never leave your friends."

Profile: Rocketing around the vast gulfs of outer space might seem like fun, but Cosmos knows the truth: it gets lonely up there. Sure, he understands that every Autobot has a job to do in the battle against the Decepticons, and he accepts his without argument. But he's not always happy about it. Sometimes, to relieve the boredom of a long vigil orbiting the Earth, he'll zip down at night and scare a few humans by hovering over their back yards. He also delights in showing off his maneuverability by zig-zagging through an occasional meteor shower. But mostly he maintains his solitary orbit. At least he's comforted by one thought: he never gets stuck in any traffic jams like his auto-like brethren below.

Abilities: As a spacecraft, Cosmos can achieve Earth orbit and, with enough fuel, can reach escape velocity and go for relatively short jaunts - the Moon and back, for example. He can reach speeds of 40,000 mph. He can use himself as a communications satellite by bouncing signals from one Earth location to another. His optical sensors can see and record objects as small as a bicycle from 600 miles high. He has a high-powered particle beam capability that he can use with pinpoint accuracy in either spacecraft or robot mode.

Weaknesses: Cosmos is not well-suited to function as a robot on the ground - he's slow, awkward and not too strong. Sometimes in his search for some pleasant diversions to relieve his boredom, he neglects his job. This unreliability can occasionally result in problems for any Autobot depending on him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Well, not every matchup can be as good as the last one.

I suppose there is some scenario you could dream up in which the battle took place in a highly populated area and Defensor was busy protecting humans and it caused his demise...BUT I just dont think Cosmos has what it takes to do any sort of damage to Defensor regardless

(even with the intelligence, speed, and skill advantage)

Sorry, I loved Cosmos and hated Defensor at times, but in this case its gotta be an easy vote for Defensor!

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cosmos could just stay in orbit out of Defensor's reach and shoot or drop asteroids on him at his leisure.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Defensor wit the same argument as before,

No single autobot/Decepticon can take on a combiner himself, only ones standing a slimchance are leaders.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Defensor for the easy win.

6. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I almost voted cosmos for the shear hell of it but this is just a fight he can not win.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I think that's pretty logical. It would be the obvious thing to do.

Boring, dragged-out, crap to watch, but entirely probable. I just wonder who'll run out of power/manage to damage the other first?

So, my vote goes with Defensor. Because cosmos couldn't keep this strategy up for long, and Defensor has so many places to run to.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Cosmos won't have too much of a hard time winning this one.

First of all, if we go by the US Marvel comics, Cosmos is a killing machine, able to gun down Decepticons two at a time (in one issue alone he murders somewhere around 15 Decepticons; many two at a time), and was responsible for killing Razorclaw in a one on one fight in space. In the US Cartoon, he withstood going through the sun, and was able to function when all the other Autobots succumbed to the heat, as well as undertaking two way trips multiple times that a single way trip would exhaust Omega Supreme; in 'The God Gambit', Cosmos is making a longer trip when he gets ambushed, OS had to use 97% of his fuel just to get to where Cosmos was, in 'The Secret of Omega Supreme', Cosmos flies from Earth to space and back 4 times in that episode alone without refueling.

Like it or not, in space/in the air, Cosmos is a force to be reckoned with.

So, this brings it a fight of weaponry and tactics, since Cosmos is far too intelligent to fight physically. Defensor has 5 major problems. The first being that Defensors heat weapon can't hurt Cosmos (2000 degrees is nothing to atmospheric entry or the Sun). Secondly Defensor is ground locked. Cosmos will take the high ground and stay there. Third, he's a fuel sucker compared to one of the more fuel efficient Autobots. Fourth is that Defensor is prone to distraction, and Cosmos can bounce signals about at will, he can deluge Defensor and leave him distracted and defenseless against his firepower. Which leads me to fifth is that Cosmos has a high power, high accuracy weapon and all the range he needs against a giant that can never close the distance or return any meaningful fire. Defensor in every medium has always had troubles keeping up his power levels in a prolonged fight or against beam weapons, and that's just what Cosmos is bringing to the table.

Cosmos will take to the air, and needle Defensor to death. This fight is Cosmos'. He just keeps killing and killing.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    So Defensors Weapons that blows Bruticus to bitswill be worthless against Cosmos..Man Cosmos should lead the ultimate Warrior. :rolleyes: 

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Defensors battles:

Marvel Comics: Fights Bruticus and loses.

G1 Cartoon: Beats Bruticus. Tries to defend the Ark with is forcefield, but it fails and he's blown back into his component members by the Decepticons. Beaten by Bruticus, rescued by Sky Lynx.

Plus, the one victory he has was in 'B.O.T.', the worst episode ever. Lastly, each warrior has their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm not saying Cosmos could defeat everyone, just Defensor in this case.

12. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose this makes some sense...but if you play this logic out, only astrotrain, blastoff, cosmos, and omegasupreme would be left standing.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And if you play the "bigger = automatic win" logic out, only Omega, Metroplex, Trypticon, Scorponok, and Fort Max would be left standing.
    In a fight where the little guy can have an advantage like that, I'd bet that they would take full advantage of it because that's all they have.

14. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

You seem to have forgotten that Defensor defeated Devastator (whom in that continuity was considered the strongest gestalt) in War Within: Dark Ages.

That said, I agree that Cosmos is a resilient killing machine and that this fight isn't necessarily as uneven as you would originally think. However, I still think Defensor will take the cake for this one.

15. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Gee, the gesalt will just squish Cosmos.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I said Defensor, but because his right arm is Blades, Possibly the most ultra-violent Autobot alive. And Defensor has his shield, which usually helps defend him (B.O.T. 's dipiction of it being entirely worthless doesn't count as that episode was entirely worthless), so Cosmos' ranged weapondry probably wouldn't work. That leaves only physical fighting, and we all know that Cosmos is screwed over in that department against a gesalt.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Winner = Defensor

Never really did like Cosmos, and besides... what can he do in a fight against a gestalt?

18. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Cosmos does not have the capability to bombard targets from space. You're thinking of Blastoff. His primary roll is as a scout and a telecommunications satellite. He can communicate from orbit, but not attack.

In nearly every continuity, little bots harass the gestalts for a time, but inevitably they all get swatted. See Springer vs. Devastator in War Within, Megatron vs Bruticus in the G1 cartoon, everybody vs Menasor in IDW's generation one comic (although Ultra Magnus does eventually bring him down, but that's another matter entirely), and on and on.

He has a firepower of 6 and a strength of 2. This is a mosquito vs an elephant. It's fine if you want to vote for him, but at least acknowledge that you are making a ridiculous vote (lord knows I've made enough of them already).

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I never said he would attack from space, just from the sky.

I'm not calling it a ridiculous vote. Voting for Bumblebee over Megatron, that would've been ridiculous.

I may be putting a greater emphasis then most on a flier vs a land locked giant, but frail biplanes with pea shooters did kill the massive and powerful King Kong. I mean, heck, Cosmos and Flint killed Unicron in the Gi Joe crossover.

20. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    That might be relevant if King Kong had been made out of metal.