[Region 3] Contest #5: Astrotrain vs Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 7, 2009.

?

Contest #5: Astrotrain vs Wheeljack

Poll closed Feb 8, 2009.
  1. Astrotrain

47.9%
  2. Wheeljack

52.1%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #5: #7 Seed Astrotrain vs #10 Seed Wheeljack

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 8th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ASTROTRAIN

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: MILITARY TRANSPORT

"In confusion there is opportunity."

Profile: Creating confusion is Astrotrain's specialty. As a Decepticon Triple Changer he can switch from robot to locomotive train to space shuttle almost instantaneously. This ability not only leaves unsuspecting enemies perplexed, but often vulnerable to his attack. His favorite ploy is to lure an Autobot to chase him as he enters a railroad tunnel in train mode and then exits in shuttle mode. The Autobot is usually ill-prepared to battle the shuttle-mode Astrotrain and rarely knows whether two Decepticons or one confront him. But it is that particular moment when his opponent realizes his mistake that especially delights Astrotrain. He truly lives for that moment and thrives on his foe's panic and fear. "It makes it all worthwhile," Astrotrain says gleefully. "That part I enjoy even better than destroying him afterwards!"

Abilities: As a space shuttle, Astrotrain can achieve, under his own power, planetary orbit, where he can attain a maximum speed of 20,000 mph. He can launch weapons and satellites while in orbit, and carry other cargo as well. If he carries an extra fuel supply, he can leave his orbit and is capable of true space travel, boosting his speed to 50,000 mph. He would be able to travel from the Earth to the Moon and back, but not much more. As a train, his top speed on rail is 400 mph and he has a range of 1700 miles. In robot mode he has great strength and carries a powerful ionic displacer rifle, which destroys by disrupting molecular bonds in metal alloys with its beam.

Weaknesses: Astrotrain is prone to mechanical breakdowns as a train in his wheel assemblies. As a space shuttle his communications systems often fail him and he must be wary of burning up while re-entering the atmosphere.

WHEELJACK

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: MECHANICAL ENGINEER

"Never do what your enemy expects you to do."

Profile: "That guy can build a neutron bomb out of a wristwatch and a rusty can," says Bluestreak, and that's not far from the truth. As well as the Ark fashioned the Autobots, Wheeljack is always coming up with ways to improve them, particularly their weaponry. His knack for creating wild new gadgets has earned him a "mad scientist" reputation and their deadly effectiveness has earned him the respect of friends and enemies alike. He is also the Autobot most adept at driving while in his automobile mode and has pulled off tricks that Hollywood stunt drivers haven't even dreamed of yet. He fully enjoys showing off when the opportunity presents itself.

Abilities: In addition to those mentioned above, Wheeljack, while in Autobot mode, can use the solid-fuel rockets in his arms to fly at speeds of 320 mph with a range of 800 miles. His shoulder-mounted cannons shoot a variety of shells: a magnetic-inducer shell, which douses its victims in a magnetic dust that attracts ferrous objects from distances up to 4000 feet away that adhere to and eventually disable the victim; a shrapnel-needle shell, which explodes into millions of hair-thin filaments that can pierce even the strongest armor and disrupt internal circuitry; and a gyro-inhibitor shell, which implants itself upon impact and destroys the balance of its victims. Wheeljack is continually adding new gimmicks to his shells.

Weaknesses: Wheeljack is his own worst enemy. He frequently injures himself while experimenting with new weapons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh wow...gonna have to think about this one.

3. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Ya, I am too delusionally tired right now to vote tonight, but I agree that this one is going to take some thought. Astrotrain has the triple changing abililty obviously but how do you go against the MacGyver of Tranformers!!

Its like a combination of the two most epic things ever...a total score!!!

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Wheeljack-He might make some thing to stop Astrotrain in flight or on the tracks. I mean he's the Mr. Fantastic of comics. He always finds a way to take down an opponent.

5. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Are you going to cast the first vote??

6. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Looking at it, its basically speed and strength vs. intelligence, skill, and courage. One of the most important skills, firepower, are basically even, they only differ by a point, so I think it could swing in either direction.

Wheeljack's main weakness according to the above statements is that he injures himself while making weapons. As I don't think he's going to have time to do this while in a fight, I can't say he really has a weakness now going into the fight.

Astrotrain while having the advantage of being a triple changer and can cause confusion to an enemy, is prone to wheels breaking down while train mode so he would not want to give chase or be in train mode for all too long.

Astrotrain's disruptor rifle is a heck of a force to be reckoned with but also Wheeljack has some really nice missle launchers for countering and longe range barrages.

This is one heck of a matchup, I can't decide right now. :-\

7. AMG

AMG Old School

Wheeljack takes this. He is more skilled, has better firepower and smarter.

8. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    I think Wheeljack fires his gyro-inhibitor shell while Astrotrain is flying in shuttle mode and causes the Decepticon to crash. Wheeljack probably has too many tricks up his sleeve for Astrotrain to cope with.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    uhm no hes not, Wheeljack is not what you would call a warrior but Astrotrain is, The only thing Wheeljack wins in is he is outsmartering Astrotrain. But when it comes to the battlefield, I take Astrotrain everyday. Building new gadgets and machines I take Wheeljack.

Besides I dont see Astrotrain died in the movie, Wheeljack did.

Astrotrain should win this or I say this is just another "oh my god lets not a favorite Autobot loose, we must make him win.

10. AMG

AMG Old School

Going by tech specs, Wheeljack is indeed superior in the stats I mentioned.

I like Astrotrain more than Wheeljack BTW, I don't play favorites in these match ups.

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Going by the techs, Wheeljack would win 5-3.

But i think Astrotrain's triple changer capabilities would have the edge.

12. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Assuming Wheeljack had met Astrotrain before, the whole triple changer thing wouldn't be an advantage anymore, since there would be no surprise and thus no confusion. Especially since a steam locomotive is terrible disguise if the fight is nowhere near a railway line.

13. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Ok I know Astrotrain is a big daddy but Wheeljack is highly skilled and pretty frikkin' smart. His arsenal seems like it could readily deal with either alt mode of Astrotrain. In fact I'd pay good money to see Astrotrain try and lure Wheeljack into a train tunnel only to have Wheeljack fire his magnetic missiles in after him. The end result: Astrotrain comes rolling out the other side in twisted ball of train track mess. However, if Astrotrain ever got his hands on Wheeljack, he'd probably most likely tear him apart. Once again it comes down to stick and move baby STICK AND MOVE! Btw, Wheeljack for the win, if it wasn't already obvious.

14. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Astrotrain, I like the triplechangers alot.

15. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

Astrotrain.

Why?

1. He's a Triple Changer.

2. He's armed with a weapon that can rip apart Wheeljack's molecular bonds.

3. I prefer Decepticons over Autobots.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Astrotrain. Wheeljack is smart, but he's smart in a science lab, not a battle field. Of course someone will probably bring up that he single handedly stopped 3 rampaging/bestial dinobots in the cartoon.

17. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    This is a good matchup and I could see it going either way. I'll give to Astrotrain because speed kills.

18. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Astrotrain Space Choo-choo!

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I think I'm going to go with Wheeljack on this one, just just think his bag of tricks will give him the edge in the end. Astrotrain is good but I think he wouldn't under estimate wheeljack and that would cost him.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Finally someone who understands.

Wheeljack is inventing smart, NOT warrior smart.