[Region 3] Contest #3: Starscream vs Dirge

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 5, 2009.

?

Contest #3: Starscream vs Dirge

Poll closed Feb 6, 2009.
  1. Starscream

83.3%
  2. Dirge

16.7%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #3: #8 Seed Starscream vs #9 Seed Dirge

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 6th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

STARSCREAM

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: DECEPTICON AEROSPACE COMMANDER

"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies."

Profile: Starscream makes no secret of his ambition to overthrow Megatron as Decepticon Leader. He is ruthless, cold-blooded and cruel. In that sense the two rivals are very much alike. But he has a vain side that clearly distinguishes him. He considers himself the most sophisticated and handsome of the Decepticons. He exudes a high-class, urbane air that provides a certain irony to his murderous tendencies. He looks down at Megatron for being antiquated in his military strategy. Starscream believes the Decepticons should rely more on guile and speed rather than brute, destructive force to defeat the Autobots. Megatron overlooks the potential threat Starscream represents for one very good reason: Starscream is very good at his job.

Abilities: Starscream is one of the fastest flyers of the Decepticons, reaching speeds up to Mach 2.8. He can climb to sub-orbital altitudes of 52 miles and nose-dive down to near ground level in mere minutes. This makes him particularly effective in surprise attacks and hit-and-run actions. He can shoot cluster bombs a distance of 40 miles, each of which can level an area 10,000 feet square. His null-ray rifle can interrupt the flow of electricity in any circuitry it hits for periods of up to two minutes, effectively preventing the operation of many machines dependent on those circuits during that period.

Weaknesses: Starscream overrates himself sometimes, and finds himself in situations that are more than he can handle. His nose-dives often overload his gyro-circuitry leaving him disoriented briefly. But, overall, he is a very tough nut to crack.

DIRGE

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: WARRIOR

"Fear is the element that unites all losers."

Profile: The chilling rumble of Dirge's engines as they approach from a distance is merely a prelude to the petrifying fear they induce in whomever is unlucky enough to hear as they pass overhead. And fear is something with which Dirge is quite familiar. He knows its all-consuming power; he understands how it can defeat even the mightiest of armies. He handles it with the same exacting proficiency that a concert pianist handles his piano's keys. Even his fellow Decepticons are put off a bit by his mournful, silent manner. Ramjet sums up everyone's feelings: "He gives me the creeps."

Abilities: In jet mode, the sound from Dirge's engines has the uncanny effect of producing spine-tingling (circuit-tingling, in the cases of other robots) fear in nearly everyone who hears it. Apparently, the engines emit a combination of frequencies that has a disorienting, fear-provoking effect on the nervous systems of all those within earshot. He also carries two air-to-air missiles and two automatic machine guns.

Weaknesses: In order to perform well as a warrior, Dirge needs to feel that he's in control of a situation. When things get out of hand, Dirge is prone to suffer from the very weapon he himself wields so effectively - fear. Dirge's usefulness evaporates under these conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    First Thoughts

Hope everyone likes the new profile write-ups (Thanks Smog for the suggestion)

If I am looking at that right it looks like Dirge actually has higher numbers (Taking tech specs with a grain of salt of course) in both Firepower and Skill.

Starscream seems to have a slight speed edge and a greater edge in both courage and endurance.

I have a feeling this would be a much closer contest than what everyone here is going to make it, but we will see.

3. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Ok, I will bite early on this one.

Starscream and Dirge in open air combat

Starscream's overconfidence convinces him not to take this fight seriously

He starts hot dogging and does a patented nose dive that leaves him disoriented

Dirge's engine adds to the disorientation and gives Dirge enough time to pop Starscream with both of his missiles. Dirge in fear himself just unloads everything he can knowing that if he doesnt finish Starscream he is in trouble. Machine guns blasting, Dirge takes care of Starscream almost as effortless as Galvatron did.

Not only does Dirge upset the popular Starscream but he does it with a first round TKO!

(ducks and covers, awaiting the assault from the Starscream fanboys)

4. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Well for one, I don't see Starscream, at least being a decently competent warrior/fighter, doing a nose dive down to ground in a mid-air dog fight. So I think Starscream would use his speed and outclass a slower less confident Dirge. In this type of fight where things are quite even, I think speed surpasses and gives the upper hand.

Now as the fight drags on and it goes to the ground where they are then in robot mode, I would say Dirge would come out guns blazing and having that warrior mindset try to barrage Starscream with firepower. I think Starscream is too clever for this and would outwit, run, hide, etc... to get away from Dirge. Starscream is a mastermind at mind games, I think he uses this against Dirge to screw with him and turn Dirge on himself with the whole "fear" factor. Starscream again, after a drawn out battle, possibly boring battle, takes the upperhand again and finishes Dirge off this time.

Starscream for the win, not a pretty win, not a convincing win, not a win by popularity, but in the end, the win.

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I think you should put Sykwarp's specs up, because the original seekers were mixed up.

Starscream, in actuality outdoes, or equals Dirge in every regard.

6. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    So, Starsceam's overconfidence and cockiness is never going to come into play??

Didn't Starscream find a way to screw up and fail in just about every mission or plan he ever attempted. I know this is an over-generalization but still??

I didnt mean Starscream would nosedive all the way to the ground. I figured he would climb pretty high and then nosedive to mid-air, be slightly unsteady, Dirge would rev up his engine adding to the time it takes Starscream to regain his composure and then Dirge would just get lucky enough to use his firepower advantage to eliminate Starscream early.

Is Starscream the better more experienced flyer and fighter, no doubt! Would Starscream have the better chances, no question. Could Starscream get cocky enough to overlook Dirge's one chance and get knocked out, thats what I am banking on!

7. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    shhh, you weren't supposed to bring that up...lol

8. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

You do bring up very good points and arguments here and it could go either way.

My reasoning lies within the fact when Starscream gets overconfident or cocky in a mission, it is during the development planning and executing the mission stage. By the time he's finally fighting and things are screwed up, he's a warrior and does what he's gotta do to get out of the situation alive. As the fighter he's the better one, not by much, but the better one.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The only real weakness Starscream has is his overconfidence in himself but he is not a Decepticon that you kill off lightly,If he did not have any value MEgatron would hade disposed of him eaons ago.

There is a reason Starscream is econd in command and not Dirge. Dirge is also a great fighter but none of the coneheads can match up Starscream.

Starscream is fast, backstabbing, null ray equiped and leader of the seekers and second in command.

Dirge is just a seeker, a good one but not good enough to take out Starscream.

Scream for the win.

10. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Good points. I am just trying to play the devil's advocate, as you can see I haven't even cast a vote yet, so obviously I havent even convinced myself of my own scenario's merit yet! Haha, I'm delirious and going to bed now...

11. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Easy win for Starscream. He's faster, smarter, and stronger. Dirge wouldn't even show up for the fight, he'd know that he didn't stand a chance.

12. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I have to vote Starscream, and not because I am a big fan... He is way too skilled, fast, and smart for Dirge to handle. He would not fight hand to hand, and would probably stab Dirge in the back at the earliest opportunity. He would run and hide and plot and scheme until he beat him. No one said he has to fight fair, just fight eh?

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I like Dirge. A lot. In fact, he may be my second favorite seeker (Skywarp will always be #1!), however, I just can't see him winning this fight.

Starscream is a capable and smart warrior. "Fear. Terror. Are you not the Master of these things?" says Megatron to Starscream (AHM #6) He may not be up to taking out Megatron, but he's certainly no weenie either and those Null Rays are a great weapon in single combat. Additionally, he has the advantage in that he is the Air Commander, going against one of his own whom he knows well, something Screamer would use to his greatest advantage. He'd have Dirge so psyched out that Dirge would put up a poor fight at best.

One of the things about G1 was that there were so many unique special abilities, and unfortunately most of them never really got seen to any useful degree. It would be fun to see a "terrible" Dirge, one whose engines were really terror-generators who left Autobots leaking themselves, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

14. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    You've got good taste in seekers, although i voted for Dirge, he needs love.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

Starscream takes this one. Dirge can't match his aerial prowess, Starscream will pull off some tactical battle maneuvers that makes Dirge feel not of control. Thus Dirge loses focus and Starscream goes in for the easy kill.

16. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Because I have a hard time comparing the stat cards. :) 

[​IMG]

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Hmm, close call. My vote's on Starscream.

18. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I realized something when I voted (for starscream). For all of starscreams stats and skills and rank, and being known as the top seeker....we've never seen him whoop on anyone. Not the cartoon, or any comics either. (Underbase doesn't count for this tourny).

I still voted for starscream, but I just wanted to point out that starscreams toughness is by reputation only. You'd think with 25 years we'd have seen a demonstration...but we haven't.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. It'll make me more comfortalbe with my vote.

19. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Starscream just kicks the camshaft out of all his other seeker soldiers. Besides, he's got that really cool gun that can blast the heck out of anything.

Oh....wait...that's Megatron. Yeah......

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Why wouldn't the Underbase count? He did do it. Sure he was powered by a MacGuffin, but still.

Anywho:

Comics:
    Killed an Autobot looking for the Ark
    Defeated Brawn in trial by combat
    Got the power of the Underbase and destroyed 80% of the Earthbound Transformers.
    Defeated Cloudburst, Chainclaw and Getaway who he thought were mocking him.
    Stole the Creation Matrix and merged with Warworld (for a time)

Cartoon:
    Stunned Megatron and assumed command (until Megatron woke up)
    Tossed Megatron out of the shuttle and got the other Decepticons to agree that he should be leader (Until Galvatron showed up)

Other:
    Beat the snot out of Rodimus, then Galvatron in the body of Guiltaur

Modern Comics:
    Beat Superion, forcing him back into his component members (along with the other seekers)
    Executed the council
    Beat Megatron and took over command of the Decepticons while hopped up on Ore-13
    Led the Decepticon attack on the Reapers

The funny thing is looking through the TFWiki, he does have a lot of defeats. A lot. A whole lot. Across a number of continuities. So much so he actually develops low self-esteem in the end of the UK comics because he thinks he's become a laughing stock.

If it weren't for the fact that Dirge seems to be a magnet for death, I'd almost be asking to reconsider my vote.