[Region 3] Contest #1: Perceptor vs Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 3, 2009.

?

Contest #1: Perceptor vs Ratchet

Poll closed Feb 4, 2009.
  1. Perceptor

53.7%
  2. Ratchet

46.3%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 3] Contest #1: #5 Seed Perceptor vs #12 Seed Ratchet

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 4th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perceptor is a scientist, one of the most astute minds the whole of Cybertron can offer. He is perpetually seeking the continued quest for knowledge, and his discoveries have repeatedly proven invaluable. Though his specialties lie in metallurgy, electrical engineering, and additional sciences closely concomitant to Transformer physiology, his thirst for knowledge has made him kind of a scientific jack-of-all-trades.

One of Perceptor's most infamous mannerisms is the tendency in which he verbally communicates using scientific terminology. This has the unforeseen result of exasperating and occasionally frustrating his comrades. One might hypothesize that the jovial mechanoid is unaware that not everyone with whom he seeks to communicate shares his extensive vocabulary.

Engaging in physical melee is not his preferred activity. He is content to make his contributions to the Autobot cause in the manner in which he deems sufficient, but will engage in combat if the situation requires. Optimus Prime often relies on Perceptor's perspicacity, and considers him as inestimable as any of his officers.

Ratchet is the Autobots' Chief Medical Officer. If something's broke, he can fix it. Ratchet is known for his irreverent bedside manner; he loves having a good time, and his party-loving nature has given him a dry wit. He is not a particularly mighty warrior, which sometimes leads him to believe that he is expendable. Optimus Prime has trouble convincing Ratchet that this is far from the truth.

Although he's a healer, Ratchet often finds himself on the front lines of combat and, on occasion, the last hope the Autobots have. These pressures are sometimes too much for him to handle, but Ratchet ultimately never gives up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Well, can't say these two have long futures in this tournament but it does make for a pretty good 5 vs 12 matchup.

BTW anyone else annoyed with whoever wrote that profile on Perceptor and tried to be cute by using a bunch of 'fancy' words to try to act like perceptor in the descriptions....lame

I actually am completely undecided again on this matchup. This one and the final 5 vs 12 matchups are interesting to me. Certainly better than the previous 5 vs 12 mathups...

3. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

If he wasn't stymied by Perceptor's lingo, and fought anything like he did in Bay's movie, then I'd say Ratchet would send Perceptor on a one way trip to morgue.

4. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I guess I have always stayed with strictly looking at the US cartoon and comic. I never considered taking anything from Bay's movie as relevant to this. But, I guess if you want then whatever floats your boat.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm going with Ratchet for no other reason other then I like him more.

6. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

After seeing the way IDW portrays Perceptor in AHM, I gotta give him the win.

7. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I've always been a big Perceptor fan(I clamored after him as a kid but never got him :-( ), but I have to give the edge to Ratchet's experience in battle in this one. Perceptor isn't one of the "front line" kind of guys like Ratchet is, so he's certainly not as tough or wily.

8. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Perceptor, I just like him more.

9. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    An interesting one. I think Ratchet's experience as a medic would give him a knowledge of all the weak points in a transformers anatomy. He also (if I remember right) has more frontline battle experience.
    One thing im interested to know though, if Perceptor is your fith seed, how crappy are the 11 below him in this group?

Regards

JL

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    That's what gives Perceptor a lot of points in my book. A lot.

On the other hand, Ratchet actually managed to take down Megatron in the comics, the same Megatron who owned Prime and Predaking. He also got fused to him and survived. Plus he went out fighting in the Movie.

I think bottom line Perceptor snipes Ratchet in the head though.

On a side note, I agree, I'm wondering just who's in this bracket that results in Perceptor being the number 5 seed.

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Perceptor!

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I think this is the closest one yet, but Im going to go with Perceptor due to AHM.

13. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    If its the gen1 characters, then it will be handbags at highnoon. The new Perceptor in AHM looks a bit more badass than doc bot.

14. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    As I look back I will have to agree with you guys that this is probably the biggest mistake in my seeding of the 64 bots. This is probably due to the process I used more than anything. I took 64 bots and put them into 16 similar groups of 4. Than I designated seeds to each group. For example, the four cassettes all got a 16 seed.

Then I assigned regions to each of the 4 bots in each group trying to keep similar attributes in the same region when possible. For example, Perceptor and Ratchet both with the intelligent/scientific mind got put in the same region. (You will also see Wheeljack in this region for that reason.)

The 5 seeds turned out to kind of be a hodge podge of people that didnt fit into any other group. For example there are 5 dinobots so 4 of them are in one seeding group with Grimlock jumping to the 5 seed. Shrapnel being the only insecticon included got a 5 seed as well. Blaster and Perceptor both got 5 seeds for basically that reason. They didnt fit anywhere else and their size tended to be bigger than some of the others.

However, I will agree with you that looking at the overall bracket, Perceptor does not really warrant a 5 seed. So, my fault on this one. :dunce  Things to learn for the next tournament I set up I guess. On the bright side, at least we ended up with a close contest out of it even though neither one will have a chance IMO in the second round.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I've gone with ratchet just cos all he did in the comics, just how many time he took out megatron and the fact only in IDW has Perceptor become a sniper so I'm not over fond of making that an over all skill given he's only got it in one universe.

16. AMG

AMG Old School

Perceptor takes it.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to have to go with Ratchet. Perceptor wasn't much of a fighter to begin with.

18. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Because the IDW take on him is so very new, and really not established much yet...I had to go with Ratchet. Somehow he did manage to beat megatron a couple times, shockwave, starscream etc back in the old comic days.

For the most part though, this fight is a little silly. I don't think I've ever seen any one of them in battle besides ratchet getting killed in the movie.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I opted with Perceptor, he has that little known third tank mode.

20. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    For the next tournament, I suggest a blind draw (with no seeds), more like the FA Cup than the NCAA basketball tournament. It makes for some more interesting matchups and there's a chance for some of the big names to actually go down early.