[Region 2] Contest #8: Sludge vs Jazz

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Feb 2, 2009.

?

Contest #8: Sludge vs Jazz

Poll closed Feb 3, 2009.
  1. Sludge

34.4%
  2. Jazz

65.6%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    [Region 2] Contest #8: #6 Seed Sludge vs #11 Seed Jazz

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), February 3rd, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sludge:

"Sludge dumb," is how Grimlock, the Dinobot commander himself, describes the plodding Autobot. The Dinobots have a perhaps undeserved reputation for being dimwitted, but Sludge is the genuine article. He makes the other four look like scholars in comparison.

As Sludge can't make much of an impression in the mental department, he likes to make his presence known physically. He'll stomp his hefty hide around just so you know he's there.

None of the Dinobots really like Optimus Prime, but he and Slag share an especially intense dislike for him. Sludge believes that the strongest should lead, and in his mind, Grimlock is the strongest Autobot. But Sludge genuinely believes in the Autobot cause, so he tolerates Prime. Beyond that, Sludge is actually what you might call nice...Maybe not to Swoop's level, but nicer than the other guys.

Jazz is Optimus Prime's right-hand man. Unlike Prowl, Prime's military strategist, Jazz responds well to change and improvisation. Whatever surprises the Decepticons spring, Jazz can deal with it. His position as Special Operations head calls for all the skills he possesses, yet he still has time to add some style to everything he does.

An admirer of Earth music of every kind, Jazz loves culture. More than most other Autobots, he has his finger on the pulse of Earth trends and lingo. Chances are, Jazz could tell you the status of almost any reality television show and each week's Top 40 list.

Jazz's personality makes him well-liked among the others of the Ark crew, especially Bumblebee. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find an Autobot who doesn't like or admire Jazz. Except perhaps Grimlock, who doesn't like anyone anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    I have been looking forward to this one for a few days. I hope most people read some of the arguments here before simply casting a vote. I am able to be swayed either way, so make your BEST argument now.

Sludge and his brute strength and endurance but lack of speed and intelligence.

OR

Jazz and his intelligence, speed, and skill.

Our first two dinobots, Grimlock & Slag sailed through the first round. How will our third dinobot fair??

3. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Dinobots rule!

Sludge all the way

4. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I believe Jazz wins with the upset.

Jazz may not have the strength, but skill to avoid sludge's attacks because of his rather weak fire power. I can see Jazz improvising in the battle and adapting to Sludge's close range attacks to just pick shots at him from a distance. If Sludge happens to start to come in close Jazz still has his speed to move away. He's an intelligent and competent warrior who wouldn't be swayed if something didn't go his way. Jazz has this for the upset IMO.

I too however would be swayed towards a win for Sludge if he had a little better firepower and a bit more speed, if that was a case even if Jazz was the smarter one there would be a better chance of Sludge catching Jazz with a hit.

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Sludge is a dumbass but I still voted for him. I like him more. Plus, I just think he's too much for Jazz to handle. I don't even think he'd need to transform.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

This is tough, but I go with the Dinobot. Jazz has awesome skill, but not the strength and firepower to overcome a brute like Sludge.

7. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Actually Jazz has the better firepower in this matchup...

Check the Tech Spec - Jazz 5 and Sludge 2 if I am reading it right

And do speed and intelligence count for nothing??

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I go for Jazz. I think that jazz would be a bit more skillful, in that he would be able to evade Sludge, and Sludge would be so dumb that Jazz could easily outwit him, and get some cheap shots in. And the cycle begins anew.

Plus, as said above, Jazz has better firepower, so Sludge's endurance advantage would be lessened.

9. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

This is a very good matchup. Jazz has a lot of firepower, and is one of Optimus Prime's closest allies/friends. His Special Operations experience should give him a great edge against Sludge, because he has probably went up against bigger and badder 'bots and come out alive. I say that he rides circles around sludge, taking several pot shots to weaken him. Then he transforms and unleashes a full barrage of firepower and sounds and lights that breaks through Sludge's armor and distracts him. Then he cleans up with some hand-to-hand combat and tosses Sludge around in his confusion. I view Jazz as the "Rambo" type who, even though he has a silly stereotype, could pop out of the swamp with an energon sword and a laser garotte, take care of business, and then melt back into the darkness. Especially if he has the ninja abilities of the Animated version.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    speed and skill yes, but as far as I know his weapons wont even dent Sludges armor. If Decepticons weaposn wont dent Sludges armor,then Jazz wont either. Sludge can also take double hand slam from dEvastator and still dont get a scratch.

I like Jazz but The Dinobots with the exception of Swoop have to much armor, and Sludge is also got his flamethrowing mouth and earthquakes.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I haven't cast my vote yet.

Honestly, I can see one of two things occuring:

Sludge's skin is just too thick, and nothing Jazz has onhand can do enough damage to Sludge to take him offline.

Jazz uses his sonic/light powers and Special Ops programming to take Sludge out.

12. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This'll be a close one, but I'm gonna go with Jazz.

13. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sludge would only win if he caught Jazz. It would take a while, but Jazz's experience, intellect and speed would eventually overcome Sludge. He didn't get to be Prime's right hand man by being a schmuck

JL

14. Easterling Capt

Ebay:
    or just flame thorw him form a distance.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

Jazz only has a firepower rating of 5, which I don't think is high enough to really damage Sludge.

16. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Although sludge is way more powerful, I just imagine the massive difference in intelligence and strategy would put jazz on top. Jazz is savvy enough to realize out smarting sludge is the only way to go. He would find a way.

17. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sludge!

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I think at best jazz could to the sludge's think hide is drive him into a frenzyed rampage... and do you really want to a rampaging dinbot. Don't get me wrong jazz would jump around and try a lot of stuff and probably piss sludge when he finally noticed how ever one hit and Jazz is dead. So I got to go with Sludge.

19. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    If Jazz truly cant penetrate Sludge's armor shouldnt his experience, skill, and intelligence be able to find an alternate way to destroy sludge.

For example, making him fall off of a cliff, firing at some huge thing to fall on sludge, etc etc??

Well about 5 hours into it we have a dead tie at 11 a piece. I am definitely leaning towards Jazz but have not been completely convinced either way at this point...

20. Easterling Capt

Ebay:
    Lets see on Dinobot Armor

Grimlock gets Trypticon on him and dont get a scratch, sludge has the same armor.
    Sludge Gets hit by Dev and dont get a scratch
    Decpticon fire weapons dont work on Dinobots, not even Megatrons Armcannon
    Sludge Can fly in bot mode

Dino Mode: Flamethrower, Tail, Earthstomp and heavaly Armored up
    Robot Mode: Gun, Sword, less Armor.

As long as Sludge stays in Dinobot Mode Jazz cant win this. And pissing of Sloudge will not work in any favors. There will also not just pop up some super tare pit to sink the dinos in.

Jazz:

Jazz is fast and not afraid to fight. HE is skilled in this and knows what he is doing. But Jazz lacks the fireåpower to penetrate Sludges Armor. Jazz also has his tires and Sludge flamethrows them to melted rubber and Jazz cant drive and have to run around in Bot mode.

The winning dfactor for Sludge is his armor, and the Dinobots fight in Dinobot mode and not in robot mode. Therefore there is no reason for Sludge to change to robot mode.

The only small chance I can see Jazz has if he fakes his death and When Sludge transformers to think he has won, Jazz bvlasts him before he turns back to Dinomode. This tactic has a fault and that is that Sludge will probbaly not stop untill the opponent is FUBAR.

There for I say Sludge Wins.