Regeneration One #82 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Aug 1, 2012.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just read it. While not as on the edge of your seat as #81, it's still a good read. Not a lot of action, but, we do get to find out more about what Megatron did in the 21 years
    rebuilding those lost in the Underbase Saga, making pretty much mindless slaves.

Grimlock's story arc is the more interesting one this issue. I think I know where it's heading, but, I like to think I'm wrong.

Questions:
    Will we see the "classic" Starscream emerge soon. Since Megatron mentioned he still has some self awareness, will it override his new programming? Also, when did he get to Earth? The last I remember seeing him in G1, he stole the Ark.

Where's Shockwave?

Also, does anyone else think Circuit Smasher is
    a grown up Buster Witwickey?

2. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Reformed Autobot

News Credits:
    Story's still engaging, though not as good as the last issue.

Magnus's brief scene told us a bit about his character. Am interested to learn more!

Grimlock's brief scenes were also interesting. I'm guessing that's
    Scorponok
    scuttling into view in Grimlock's last panel. I'm guessing he successfully undertook the
    reattachment to the original head
    process mentioned earlier in the issue and that's how he's
    alive again.

Is it just me or was Megatron drawn really small in this one?

3. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I thought so too. I can only guess that he's an Action Master, since the battlesled is an homage to the AM toy's tank, or at least that's how I took it. If that's the case, how did he get his hands on Nucleon? Of course that would explain how
    he was able to revive dead Cons.

4. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was in stasis in the Ark when all the Autobots in stasis were revived with Nucleon, he got revived with it too.

5. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this issue in comic stores today?

6. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    YES

7. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the Comic Shop with my new copy of eighty-two. The Cover art (Cover B By Guido Guidi) looks nice and retro. I liked how they brought back a good number of the Wreckers (
    Especially Rack'n'Ruin, I'd only ever heard about him from TFwiki
    )
    Grimlock can't Transform? Is he supposed to be an actionmaster throwback like Megs? Would be interesting to see him as a headmaster
    Can't wait till next week when my comic shop is supposed to have eighty-one.

8. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    Grimlock cannot transform due to the Nucleon infusion he got, yes he is en effect an Action Master. From what I understand, he went to Nebulos looking for a cure to his condition.

9. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome! I'll be heading for the comic shop after work then.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does a thread discussing the issue really require spoiler tags? Seriously, if someone gets spoiled, it's their own damn fault for clicking the thread...

So with that...

I LOVED the original Marvel run. I'm enjoying this, but I wish it wasn't do damned depressing. It's not the continuation that I've dreamed of for 20 years. I wish they hadn't jumped ahead 20 years. With the exception of Megatron's takeover, everything else could be taking place a month or six after the end of #80. That makes it feel even more forced...

However, since it's still my favorite Transformers continuity ever, I won't give up on it.

I will, however, stay saddened at the fate of Ratbat, Ratchet, and probably Fort Max, 3 of my five favorite characters...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At first I wasn't sure about the 20 year gap, but considering how long Transformers live it's nothing, 2 decades should be a breather, in the same way as a few weeks is for us.

It also allows for plenty of characters to have gotten up to stuff like Megatron and grimlock and for others to have gotten bored as people tend to after being on holiday for too long.

12. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Reformed Autobot

News Credits:
    I would think this issue has shown us a back door through which Fort Max could come back. I do wonder where the Nebulons have managed to get all these resources to build new bodies for the original Headmaster heads, though...

13. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Based on what it looks like, the Nebulons brought Scorponok back (the original not-Zarak influenced one who was nasty) and in return he enslaved them. Chances are good he found the original Autobot heads and destroyed them.

Vee shall see.

As for the time jump, they could have had Grimlock go on his quest one month or six months later. They didn't need 20 years for that. Ditto for Optimus' brooding. Kup's boredom. Etc...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  14. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Totally with you here. It really does seem that without a brand manager to keep him in check, Furman gets way too dark for a TF comic. The original Generation 2 comic was a complete bloodbath, and it looks like we're in for more of the same. If they're just bringing the comic back to butcher everyone, then I'd rather just stick to the upbeat ending of #80 thank you very much.

That said, I do love Furman's less bloody (oily?) tales, and Wildman's art is still an expressive thrill, so I'll stick with it for now. I just hope it doesn't get so emo I can't read it for wiping the anguished tears off my iPad...

15. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked up #81 & #82 and damn they are dark! The artwork is great, and I always liked Ultra Magnus' eyes drawn that way.

I'm looking forward to what is to come, I loved the original ending, I also loved G2... so who knows!

16. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I totally forgot about him being is statis on the Ark.

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the last we saw of the Ark it had crashed back into Earth and only Galvatron walked out of it to battle Fort Max. As far as we knew Megatron, Starscream and Shockwave were still inside, and Megatron was brought back with the nucleon as mentioned before. Megatron isn't drawn like his Action Master toy though if that's what he is. He shouldn't have his arm cannon or the gun cannon on his back, like how Grimlock is being drawn without his dino parts.

I have Cover B and I really like that the upper left corner of this cover has the oldschool Marvel Optimus Prime pointing at you image.

Grimlock's story was definitely the more fun one. I'm glad to finally have the original Headmaster Transformers possibly returning. As a kid reading the HM mini I never understood why they would want to let them take their heads and just store them somewhere and let the Nebulons run around in their bodies, especially the Decepticons. The cartoon story made more sense in this aspect in that cohabiting meant that the original Transformer personality was still intact. But, didn't they show toward the end of the Marvel run that Fortress Maximus' original personality was still intact? Didn't we see him communicating with Spike?

Megatron is bored on an Earth he destroyed. Does Earth not have the resources to build a ship? Why didn't he use the satellite he kept intact to communicate with Optimus Prime himself a long time ago?

Why did it take 21 years for things to start happening again? Why hadn't Soundwave tried to rebel years earlier? Why did it take Grimlock this long to decide to do something about his desire to transform again?

18. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm with you guys on this as well.

I am not a fan of waiting 21 years either. I wonder how it will be revealed that optimus ignored earth or never bothered to check in on it.

Did the neo-knights ever make it back to earth. I cannot remember if it was explained in a text story or just as some dialoge that they were returned. Wouldn't that have alerted that there was a transformer presence when the ark crashed.

I still like that it's back and we get to see some plots revealed and concluded, so I will see how this all plays out.

19. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

Just finished reading #82. I didn't mind it, it was decent but like #81 not really much there to captivate me as a reader. Afterwards I read half of MTMTE #7 and enjoyed that a lot more.

Aside from the art, it doesn't really feel like the old Marvel run either so I am not sure what to make of it.

Like #81, the story wasn't great, just ok but there are a some 'turn of events' that I don't like too much unless Furman is looking to do something interesting with them. The whole 'Earth is apocalyptically destroyed' angle rubs me the wrong way a bit and seems like if it narrows down possibilities of an interesting plot progression like Marvel G1 Transformers in the 21st century which I would have loved to see. We are now basically in 'Mad Max' world which is difficult to relate to (there isn't much) and fills uninspired and constrained.

We are now two issues down and we have more questions than answers without captivation in the narrative and that is not really good.

Still early days but I do fear that Furman has lost his edge as a writer. Nothing really creative or interesting about this, but it isn't broken like Costa's ongoing so there is still hope. Time will tell I guess.

20. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He wouldn't be the first writer to lose his touch (*cough*ChrisClaremont*cough*)..

I don't think that's the case though. I think with the exception of the "Megatron destroys Earth" plot, all of this could have been accomplished if he had written #81+ as if he got a call 21 years ago that the comic wasn't going to get canceled and he could continue to #100. He sure wouldn't have jumped ahead 21 years back then. Also, I get the G2 vibe of "I know it's the final end so I can kill anyone".

So anyway, who is still missing on Earth? I'm pretty sure Megatron already destroyed Fort Max or else Spike would have him. We'll probably find out next issue. Shockwave was with Starscream, Megatron, and Ratchet, so he's probably out of commission because Megatron knows he'll try to take over again (why is Starscream the one Megatron is torturing? He never tried to overthrow Megatron in the comics.. It was Ratbat he betrayed). That just leaves Galvatron. Is he still under the ice? He did basically the same thing Megatron has done here in his future.

All in all I'm still enjoying the read. The whole Earth situation is what's bugging me the most because it destroys the entire status quo that the Marvel run was based in. Nebulos... Scorponok could have done whatever he did between #42 and now even if they didn't jump ahead 21 years.