Regarding the mental states of combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Necromaster, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    If a Gestalt is self-aware (like Computron or Defensor) do they come to see themselves as a single entity or a combination of seperate minds and bodies? I ask this because in the RID cartoon, Rail Racer had a tendency to refer to itself as "we" and Defensor outright stated "This would be a lot easier if First aid were here" in The Ultimate Weapon, implying that he's aware of which individual components comprise his body. Ruination, on the other hand, refers to himself as a single individual, and we can't really tell with any of the other combiners because they either refer to themselves in the third person or don't really talk at all.

So. Thoughts?

2. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    well Bruticus refers to himself in the third person as a totally different 'con and considering what you've already stated, it sounds like it all depends on the team and how they see themselves. he even refers to himself as a single entity in FOC

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    According to the original character bios it is a new mind, shaped and formed by how well the components are compatable.

-ZacWilliam there was a thread not long ago that discussed this in depth.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    RiD appears to handle combiners differently than G1, usually with the leader of the given team acting as the mind/controller of the combined form. (FWIW)

5. starman72

starman72 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my guess would be that the leaders are the primary personality component, with the others modifying - at least with the scramble city combiners. maybe about 40% team leader, 15% per limb-bot?
    except piranacon's extra targetmaster member, who i assume would remain seperate for his distinct function.
    i would also assume when any of the limb-bots connect to metroplex, they would not have much personality impact.

i really wish that either the g1 cartoon or comic had played with the concept more, especially exploring different mixes of the combiners, such as (for example) motormaster with brawl, swindle, tentakil, and rippersnapper.

predaking, monstructor, and devastator i've always pretty much assumed would have their own, unique personality matrices, distinct from their components, an equal blend of each team member.

6. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    after reading the G1 bios, i'd say all components have a say in what the gestalt does.

Devastator's components have to agree on what to do, Bruticus's components all make up his personality and influence his behavior and what he says (for example Brawl's rage), Abominus's personality is basically all the Terrorcons' rage combined, Menasor's psyche is made up of all the Stunticons' hate and insanity

7. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Supposedly one of the things that made Predaking so powerful is all the Predacons were of like mind (they're all predatory hunters). That made Predaking more capable than guys like Menasor where the other four Stunticons hated Motor Master.

8. At0mic Cav3man

At0mic Cav3man Well-Known Member

Not too mention that all the parts of Predaking were like REALLY into marking territory. Like, they'd just go about pissing on EVERYTHING. Seriously, if you think being a Decepticon is bad on any day, what with raging dictators and backstabbing cohorts, try being there when Predaking is loose and ready to start checking his Pee-Mail.

9. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

I always think of it as your limbs can detach, and when they do, they have a mind of their own, and the Combiner's personality and goals change slightly. as in, all the goals and personality of the limb would be shared in the Combiners overall conscious, and when you loose that limb, you loose that bit of personality.

10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Punched a squirrel.

News Credits:
    Yeah... that seems to sound right. I thought Devastator and Menasor were very much of the simple, "smash and grab mentality" because the subcomponents tended to have conflicting opinions on how to operate. I can certainly see that being a burden of Decepticon gesalts where they don't really trust one another anyway.

Still, I would say it varies by group.

Computron and Predaking probably do function at the highest level, followed buy teams like Defensor and maybe even Piranacon under the same mentality as Predaking where they have a common mindset or objective.

I can see Superion being a little more disfunctional due to the hot headed nature of the his components.

Personally though, I think I like the idea of the limb components simply going into a stasis of sorts and the torso component simply taking over the higher functions of the gestalt. For example, Abominus, while combined, Hun-grr does the thinking and the others simply relay information the way your hand tells your brain something it's touching is hot.

11. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

This is one of the problems with G1. You've got toy bios that state one thing and a cartoon that states something else. According the toy bios (particularly Devastator) it states that combiners are limited to what the components can agree on. Devastator was the prototype and since the six didn't really get along that well, Devastator was simple minded and violent. Imagine if your leg had a mind of it's own and wanted to go a different direction than the other leg. The only way for this to work would be via some sort of telepathy so that it would function more smoothly. Then you have ones like Menasor where it's the four Stunticons vs. Motormaster.

Then you have the cartoon where in "The Key to Vector Sigma, Part II" you have Alpha Trion where Vector Sigma actually says that one Autobot gave his life so that 6 could live (implying the 5 Aerialbots with the combined form, Superion being the "sixth" Autobot), essentially counting the combined form as an entity unto itself. Then you have RID where Decepticons combine and yell "Ruination Awaken!" as if a seperate being is waking up, thus suppressing the components.

12. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it depends on the transformer and their programming and processor.

13. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    I know that the Seacons leave Nautilator out of Piranacon because he's so stupid that he turns Piranacon into an idiot. (He's the Wheatly to their GLaDOS)

So it's possible they all become one mind.

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

In one episode of the Sunbow G1 cartoon, Silverbolt interjects and communicates with Superion when he objects to Superion's actions.

I look at them as a distinct being that is as much a sum of its parts mentally as it is physically so each is its own special case. For example, Devastator is a jumbled mess of six minds while Computron is the result of the methodical approach of (most of) its individual units. Menasor's constant confusion stems directly from his internal power struggle (Motormaster vs. the four cars) and as someone stated above Predaking is the merger of five perfect killing machines.

The easiest way to conceptulize this is to imagine yourself in the car (or walking down the street if you're not old enough to drive) with four friends. Three of your friends start talking about grabbing something to eat and decide thay want to go to Burger King for lunch though it's not your favorite fast food joint. Maybe you speak up, maybe you don't. Maybe you're the least vocal in your group. Maybe you don't care all that much. Maybe you convince them to go somewhere else or you're the Motormaster of your group and everyone gives in just to shut you up. Whatever the end result, you end up eating at the same place. How you reach that consensus depends on the nature of your group members. (You know that one table in a restaurant that's staring at the bill trying to figure who had what appetizer and which beverages at the end of the night? That's Computron.)

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's cool what episode was that dude? Was it in season 3?

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Sorry, I stand corrected; it happened in the comic. ("Arielbots over America")