Regarding MP Grimlock's size & size of future MPs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I've heard some people theorize that the reason MP Grimlock and the seeker jets are smaller in scale than MP Optimus and Megatron is because of the economy. But one theory I haven't seen pop up is that Takara is simply making them the same scale to each other as they were in the original line. So even though Grimlock was bigger than Prime in the G1 cartoon, the actual G1 toy of Grimlock was shorter than the G1 toy of Prime. The seekers are also about the same size to MP Megatron as their G1 counterparts were. And the Binaltechs, which are unofficial MPs, are the right scale to MP Prime following this rule. So if this is the case, Soundwave should be the same size as Megatron and Optimus. If this is indeed the rule they're going by, I'm hoping they make an exception for MP Rodimus and Galvatron and have them simply be the same size as Megatron and Optimus. That should be the max size for a MP in my opinion.

2. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Isn't the logic that Takara are using something along the lines of "Leaders are meant to be the biggest"? With that thought, if Rodimus Prime and Galvatron ever get the Masterpiece treatment, they would be the same height as Optimus and Megatron.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, if you think about it, grimlock was a leader of sorts... he led the dinobots..

4. Shockscream

News Credits:
    The Masterpiece line is meant to be about G1 cartoon accuracy, right? Maybe, then, I should put it as those Primes who led the Autobots during the run of the G1 cartoon series. For the Decepticons it would be those characters who served as leader during the course of the G1 cartoon for longer than a few minutes (thus eliminating Starscream).

Tying myself in knots a little, but I think that works.

5. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I'd like to see Hasbro do the entire line in G1 style MP collection. I'm waiting on Thundercracker,Dirge,Rampjet,Thrust in the jets. It'd be cool to see some cars as well like Wheeljack or Mirage who was my favorite.

6. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

I think they are just going the cheapest route and making the masterpieces as small as possible without having the transformations suffer. After Prime, I'm sure they realized that making figures that large was unnecessary and people would pay the same amount of money for a smaller Masterpiece figure.

The only reason the fifth masterpiece in the line was not as big as the seekers and grimlock was because they knew that people would freak if megatron was smaller than optimus.

For this reason, I don't think that takara would even make Galvatron and Rodimus Prime as big as Megatron and Optimus because takara knows that the fans would forgive them for it. Galvatron and Rodimus prime only need to be as tall as each other, not as tall as Megs and Prime.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Would never work, the price, the time and the money + in Hasbros book needs to fit and even though many of ous here would want most G1 characters get a MP threatment it will never happen.

If any car would get the MP treatment first it would most likely be Jazz. Then Sideswipe or Prowl.

8. Unicron129

You said it yourself, many of us would want most characters. If theres a large market, I don't see why hasbro would give up an opportunity to make some money off us. I don't see why HasTak wouldn't do a large chunk of the g1 characters in MP style over time.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    MP G1 Bumblebee or GTFO

serious i just hope we get more of them stateside

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Starscream1701: I'm not so sure the MP line was exactly meant for toon accuracy, but as more for making the most badass version of that chartacter. If you look at takaras mp ss.. No offense to them as I love that mold with all of its flaws, but it wasn't as toon accurat as it could have been. What with the tailfin sword sheath's and such.. Grimlock only came out as he did bc his G1 design was almost perfect already, even if it wasn't anatomically correct. So again I say I think they are going for most incerdiblely, insanely badass figure possible... Except for megatron... Badass, but fraaaaiiiiiiill... Poor megs.. Prime just has to nudge him, and he breaks... So sad for him..

11. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

You can't deny that if you lined up G1 Prime, Megatron, Grimlock and the seeker jets and then lined up the Masterpiece Prime, Megatron Grimlock and seeker jets, the new ones have the same height differences that the old ones did. In both cases, Grimlock is shorter than Prime and Megatron but taller than the seekers.

I think the next new MP mold is going to prove this theory. 4 different characters having the same height differences that the original toys did is not a coincidence in my opinion. Whatever the next new MP mold is will follow this rule I think.

So what's the next MP supposed to be? Soundwave? Going by this rule, he should be as big as Prime and Megatron, which would disprove the whole "they made them smaller because people would pay the same amount for them anyway" argument. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it when the next one comes out. But that's what I think they're doing. 4 different molds that follow this rule isn't a coincidence.

12. Unicron129

I think the MP line is about making the figure be a realistic version of the alt. that he was supposed to be in the cartoon (semi-trailer, walther-p38, f-15). Then they combine this with making the robot look as g1 cartoon accurate as possible with that realistic alt they made. Due to this, sometime the figures suffer (chicken legs, tailfin sword sheaths, etc.).

13. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I think the cartoon and the g1 toy are equally important when they're designing MP.

14. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope Soundwave is next in line.

15. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I'm hoping for Soundwave too, but that makes 5 Deceps (6 counting Black Optimus?) and only 3 Autobots. So if they feel like doing an Autobot to start evening things out, I'm hoping for Rodimus Prime.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Hasbro worked in conjunction with Takara for MP Convoy/Prime. So I think that explains his large size. Takara made Megatron the same size as Prime, because they are rivals. The Seekers and Grimlock are probably more in line with the size that Takara wants the line at, as they are almost the same height.

Randy

17. slowso

slowso TF or DIE!

do you guys think there would be a new mp mold? its the repaint/retool road now with black mp, king grimlock and seekers... and now with hasbro grimlock and hasbro skywarp... is it time to make a new mold?

18. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Well we got a new mold first at the end of 2003 with Convoy, then we got Magnus in early 2005, and in Fall of 2006 we got Starscream and Convoy Complete. In early 2007 we got Megatron, and Fall 2007 Skywarp. Fall 2008 gave us Thundercracker, and March 2009 Grimlock. We have King Grimlock later this year and Convoy Black at the beginning of 2010.

As far as new molds go, we got one in late 2003, Fall 2006, March 2007, March 2009. So I think they'll probably not give us anything next year, but who knows they've run out of Seeker redecos unless they do a coronation Starscream, Sunstorm, or some other deco of the Seeker mold again.

Randy

19. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Surely the most obvious car to do would be Hot Rod. Release him with a detachable "Prime extension" and you have Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime.

There will be a few who would be most upset if this were the case. However, I see the logic that so long as Rodimus and Galvatron (if they are made) are the same height, it won't be so glaringly obvious. Perhpas have them Grimlock height or slightly taller...?

I will agree that, in the case of the Seeker mould, one of the primary intentions was to create as accurately as possible an F-15 alt mode. This was achieved at the cost of creating sword sheaths for the robot mode and an odd colour scheme on the original Takara release. Looking at the other moulds, however, they are pretty damn accurate to the cartoon in both robot and alternate modes. Megatron may be flimsy, but he certainly looks like Generation One Megatron and transforms into the gun. As you point out, OMEGAPRIME1983, he is badass.

That's certainly possible and plausible. As you say, who ever the next mould ends up being will either add weight to this theory, or completely disprove it.

But it is an equal number of moulds between the two factions -- the Optimus mould (released as Optimus Prime twice, Ultra Magnus, and Optimus Prime in black) and Grimlock (pretty much done with now that we have him in cartoon colours as well) for the Autobots, and the Seeker mould (released as Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker) and Megatron (also pretty much non-reusable). Also, the black Optimus is still an Autobot as he isn't supposed to portray Nemesis Prime; so it's five Decepticons and four Autobots.

It's hard to guess and it could go either way. On either side you've got one mould producing three characters. There's a case for a new mould on both sides. My money is on something that would be reusable.

A Conehead Seeker mould would allow for the production of Thrust, Ramjet, and Dirge. I would also imagine that it wouldn't need too much of a redesign from the existing Seeker mould. Another option is Soundwave. A mould of him could be repainted as Soundblaster and a little bit of remoulding could produe Blaster and Twincast. Making a Sunstreaker mould could then lead to Sideswipe (as in Universe/Classics 2.0) and maybe a Swerve repaint as he always seems to be a repainted sports car.

You point out that repaints and retools are more economically viable at present that an entirely new mould. This is true, but the existing moulds are really at the limit of their potential. As I pointed out above, the Megatron and Grimlock moulds cannot be repurposed as another G1 character. Grimlock has been repainted in his comic colours and there's nothing to repaint Megatron into. The three original Seekers have been made and the Optimus mould has given us Prime, Ultra Magnus (who in my opinion would only be worth buying if armour were available to make him resemble Ultra Magnus in G1), and a black Prime. As this black Prime is not representative of Nemesis Prime, a remould of the left arm with a Decepticon logo in place of the Autobot one and a few alterations to the paint scheme is still possible; however, I would think this unlikely as I would hope that TakaraTomy aren't cheeky enough to ask us to shell out again for a black Prime that has the logo when one could be bought from Reprolables to cover the Autobot one.

The possibility of making the Coneheads from the existing Seeker mould is always an option. However, to make them as screen accurate as possible, very extensive alterations to the mould will prove necessary as the cone needs to be on the head and different fin designs encorporated. The former of these will impact the transformation scheme significantly and could necessitate an entirely new mould.

Though I agree, after to new non-reusable moulds in Megatron and Grimlock (for these are latest moulds made in the line), a reusable one is far more likely in MP-09.

20. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Meh, I don't think Soundwave needs the Masterpiece Treatment right now. It should go to either Galvatron or Shockwave.