Reformat Vista to XP on laptop

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DX7879, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I'm actually planning on getting one of these 3 laptops and

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3400 - L305-S5944
    Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Celeron® Processor 585 - Matte Silver - L305-S5919
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9168143&st=compaq&type=product&id=1218041995463

How exactly would I go about putting XP on it? I have a XP pro disc already, so what do I need to do? I need XP because some of the drivers I need for things are only for XP and lower

I would like to get the first one, but I read about needing some type of XP drivers, and I can't find any for the laptop. Help would be greatly appreciated

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Why? Vista is an awesome OS -and, no I'm not kidding.
    Keep it updated and you won't have issues.

Microsoft rewrote the wheel when they created Vista and there were some issues at first, but they've been largely worked out by now.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

You might be doing more harm than good if you get a vista laptop and then try to roll it back to XP.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    1st - make sure the drivers are available for the laptop in XP. Some (particularly Sony), when the model is changed to Vista, the drivers are discontinued and you'll have a hard time finding them.
    2nd - If the laptop has enough RAM, consider just making an XP Virtual Machine for whatever you need to do (depending on what exactly you NEED XP for, that may or may not be feasible)
    3rd - if all else fails, consider dual-booting.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

it's not so easy these days with random weird driver issues and stuff like that. if it's just a laptop, it's probably not worth the hassle.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't know everything about it, but some laptop motherboards will pitch a fit if you try to install Vista. I have no experience with it personally, I've just heard about it.

Also, you can tell Vista to run applications as XP.
    Another option is to create a Virtual Machine and install XP on that.

If you really need to have an XP laptop there are still several on the market.
    Are you sure your legacy devices\applications will not work on Vista?

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Speaking as someone who did this... save yourself the trouble and go with Vista. Once you get it working it works quite well. Also, finding drivers to make everything work properly can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

8. DX7879

My main concern is with the programs that may not work with Vista, as well as the XBCD driver. Do all XP programs run fine in Vista? I might just keep the vista then, and post when I need help

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's not actually emulation in the strict sense.
    Basically, Virtual PC and VMware run an entirely separate operating system in a separate memory space. You can have a machine that boots up to Vista but then run Linux, XP, Windows 98-anything on a virtual machine.
    It's pretty awesome.

I can't tell you that all programs work with Vista, but Vista does have a Compatibility Tab where you can tell it run a program as a prior OS -all the way down to Windows 95. You can even force a particular resolution or color scheme.

I haven't used it a lot, but I have used it some and it has worked for me.

11. DX7879

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Only with the adapter. There's no built-in S-Video port on that latptop. Also, I have a Toshiba and I have successfully installed XP on it. Yes, it's true that it can be difficult, but here's a few tips:

1.) Check the European and Australian Toshiba websites for drivers. (Our laptops start with PFASGU (or something to that effect) and Australia's start with PFASGA. The last letter is the country. As long as the other letter match, you're in the right place.)

2.) Failing that, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website (in this case, it looks like Intel..) and find drivers for the motherboard itself (not the ethernet, or the sound, but the SMBus, the chipset drivers, etc. Once you have the motherboard drivers, the audio/video is a walk in the park.)

3.) Once you've installed XP and have the motherboard running, you can use the restore CD that comes with the laptop to install drivers from it. It says they're for Vista only, but I've used them and they do work. Sometimes it's not perfect, and you might have to find a XP driver or two, but generally that works without too much of a problem.

Beyond that, do a clean install of Vista. Get rid of their bloatware and reinstall Vista (using an Anytime Upgrade disc from eBay, and the ABR tool (Google) and you're good to go.) Once Vista is reinstalled, you can definitely use the drivers and software included on the restore disc set. (Just don't reinstall the bloatware. It'll bog the system down.)

13. DX7879

I think I'll just pass on the reformatting. Seems a little too complicated for me. If everything works fine, then no need for it. That was my main reason for wanting XP on it

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

WINDOWS XP DRIVERS SET FOR TOSHIBA SATELLITE L305-S5944 - eBay (item 280330777092 end time May-05-09 14:41:17 PDT)

If that won't work for you, let me know and I can get the drivers for you. I just won't waste the time doing so if you don't actually buy the unit.

If/when you do, send me a PM and I'll grab the drivers for you, or you can spend the $15.00+ on eBay, the choice is your's.