Minor/Repaint: Refinements to Toyworld Bii

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ambitron, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought Toyworld Bii because I figured it looked like a neat figure and a great representation of G1 Bumblebee over all. However, I just cannot stand his face (some may have the same problem with mine, but hey :)  ), and I don't really understand why Toyworld went to the trouble of making a fun G1 'Bee homage only to bung on a sour-looking version of the Classics head and not give him the classic yellow Y-fronts. So, I figured I'd have a crack at making some refinements.

Please bear in mind that I haven't done an awful lot of customising and my painting skills are negligible, so I'm still learning as I go and it's therefore a little rough, but I'm liking how it's going so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a bit more painting to do before I can put it all back together.

I'm really happy with the general modifications to the head, but I'd certainly be grateful for any constructive criticism or tips on how to make the finish a little less rough in future.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Storminator

Storminator Well-Known Member

Was thinking of picking up this figure, and with those head mods, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I guess you could argue they couldn't go completely G1 accurate to avoid issues with copyright... anyway, case and point, I think the head looks better... That might've been the one thing that threw me off with the look of the figure... that and the choice of colour.. I feel it should be a deeper yellow that what it is

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The work to the head looks very good. Good basis for Bii's future :) 

4. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Excellent work mate :) 
    I know how committed you are to this figure, so it'll be great to see you getting this looking perfect.

5. ambitron

News Credits:
    Thanks!

Ha, to be honest the figure is a bit disappointing - cheap plastic, awkward transformation and the backpack pops off at the merest breeze. But each mode is pretty fun, and I've been dying for a cartoon-accurate BB since I was a kid in '80s, so I'm determined to make it work. In other words, it's just impatience for the MP version. :) 

6. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    I agree totally with you mate. I'd love a cartoon accurate Bumblebee, yeah, impatient for the MP one :) 
    I like this one, and am tempted.
    Black windows maybe, yellow waist and the head....
    Love what you're doing. Looking good :thumb 

7. ambitron

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been considering painting the windows black, but I'm not sure my painting skills will do them justice. He could really be improved by a shiny yellow paint job all over, too, but the transformation would scratch it to pieces.

Hmm, come to think of it, both the parts with windows are easily removed so I might try masking all the yellow off and spraying the windows. It's the silver details on the front window that I'll find difficult putting back on, though.

Just need a couple of more coats on the waist (and a clear coat after? I'm never sure when that's needed):

[​IMG]

(I really need to learn how to get a smoother finish - you can see where details of the old waist have been sanded off.)

Thanks! Coming from you, that means a lot - I've seen your work. :) 

Attached Files:

8. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    Very kind of you to say, thanks :eek: 
    It's great what you're doing.
    Regarding the waist area, I'd go with a few thin coats then end with either satin or gloss varnish a good time frame after the part is dry.

9. ambitron

News Credits:
    Great, thanks. Can you recommend a good one? I'm just using Tamiya paints on this, and in the past I've just added a Tamiya clear paint over the top (I haven't done much of this :)  ).

10. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    That I guess would be fine, although I haven't got experience with that line.
    I only really use Vallejo. Their satin varnish would be excellent for small parts. Gives a lovely soft, smooth finish.

11. ambitron

News Credits:
    Is that the Game colour, Model colour or the acrylic liquid varnish? The seem to do three types of satin varnish. :)  Thanks again!

12. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    I use the model colour range :) 

13. ambitron

News Credits:
    Thanks - Vallejo Model colour satin varnish purchased fromAmazon then. :) 

14. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

I think I really want this figure , I want to see how your mods look . The face so far is very G1 and great !

15. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Good work bud! What happened to that other Bumblebee head, did it not fit?
    Get yourself a silver Sharpie. I'm always adding silver window frames to figures that don't have them! Useful for all kinds of other little touch-ups/detailing too :thumb 

16. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    try thinning down a little to help smooth the final finish out.

absolutely no experience with these paints but have heard they are more suited to gamer modelling and airbrushing.

hope this turns out well in the end for you :) 

17. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    Yeah, numerous Vallejo range.
    Game colour like Nellie said is for miniatures
    Model colour is for models, perfect for what you're doing
    Air is purely for airbrushing

Vallejo is the paint I always use. I use Model and Air.
    Don't be swayed by me ambitron :) 

Good luck with everything :thumb 

18. ambitron

News Credits:
    Thanks!

The one from MGS? no, it was too big (the Toyworld head is a very tight fit in alt mode), and it turned out to be pretty ugly, too.

I have a silver Sharpie - it comes in handy for touching up the ends of Masterpiece noses, seeing as I always seem to get ones with paint missing from their noses! - but it always seems to rub off with handling. I have to touch up a couple of patches on MP Prowl's legs regularly because the Sharpie rubs off.

Thanks! A bit too late for the waste, but I'll try thinning it out for the head.

I have some salvaging to do, though, as I've had a primer disaster:

[​IMG]

Gah, he looks like he's been dipped in sherbet. Has anyone got any ideas how to salvage that mess? :(  I'm an idiot - I was spraying in a freezing cold garage, and not only that but the nozzle of the can snapped so I was sort of holding it together and spraying at the same time (which made a mess of the garage, too). I knew I should have abandoned ship, ordered a new primer and waited for another day, but I don't get much time and so stubbornly went ahead and this was the result. I could see it was going spotty with the first coats and I still went on, too, d'oh.

I've ordered some 1500-grit sandpaper and a sanding sponge - should going over it with that fix things?

Also, given that I now have to order some more primer, if anyone can recommend a good one, I'd appreciate it. I was using the Game Workshop stuff here.

Any advice to help my blundering will be much appreciated. :) 

I think this is a learning experience and I'm going to have to try a smoother one once I know what I'm doing...

Attached Files:

19. ambitron

News Credits:
    I did a bit more work on this today.

I decided to go with black windows:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure about this, but I don't like the "Bii" licence plate so I'm trying out a G1 sticker:

[​IMG]

I also gave him fully-articulated hands:

[​IMG]

I had to file a thumb notch in the gun so that these hands can grip it, but it worked pretty well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, thanks to Pumpkingonzo for suggesting I use a kitchen scourer and a bit of warm water to smooth out the graininess of the primer on the head. It's helped quite a lot. This is how it's coming together so far:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :) 

Attached Files:

20. pumpkingonzo

Ebay:
    Glad it helped :) 
    All looking good mate.