Rediscovering BW love

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bryan, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just picked up a MISB Magmatron (BW Neo, not the Target exclusive, although I woulda been happy with either). Didn't get a great deal on it or anything, but I'm happy with what I paid.

Been meaning to pick this guy up for a while--ever since The Gathering came out, actually. And I'm THRILLED I finally did. This guy reminds me just how much I loved Beast Wars.

I've got an almost complete set of the American series in storage, and I probably haven't pulled any 'em out to play with for years. But I'm working on a trade with a member here for the WM Dinobots (missed 'em the first time thanks to Bin Laden, but I love the decos and I want the two Neo molds as well), and after the movie line dies down, I think I'm gonna have to start hitting eBay up for the rest of the Japanese exclusive molds.

Anyways, Magmatron is GREAT. Beast modes are sharp, the combined mode holds together as well as any gestalt I've seen--not only that, but he combines in a way that the markedly different paint schemes of the inidividuals toys don't look bad at all when combined. Shame the individual guys don't turn into robots, but if that's the price I pay to not end up with another Magnaboss, I'm okay with it. And there's a combined-beast mode as a consolation prize.

If you were ever into BWs and missed out on this guy, you should definitely grab him. You can get him for about $40 shipped without too much hunting, and around $30 or so with a keen eye, and he's worth it.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Congrats. Magmatron is the shit as far as BW combiners, hell leaders too. He's second only to Big Convoy in the BWN line.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Magmatron is a fantastic toy; he was one of the last BM toys I needed, which was why I went for that version over the BWN one. Congrats man!

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I totally dig my Magmatron, it's a cool toy! Congrats!

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Magmatron is a very nice toy... however the combined beast mode is rather.... interesting.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Was there a Korean Magmatron released?

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Magmatron is indeed cool, and quite unique as combiners go.

Running with the thread title... When I saw BW on the shelves in 1995, I thought it was absolutely the most ridiculous concept I had ever seen. Of course, I was 21 at the time... well out of the target demographic but not yet into the collector/nostalgia range.

It wasn't until I saw the last few episodes of Beast Machines and thought they were the greatest fiction in the history of the franchise (still do) that I decided to go back and check out the whole TFs-as-beasts concept.

Never have I been so wrong about anything; the toys were exceptional, the shows awesome (particularly BWS3) and I spent the next few years completing both the US and Japanese BW lines.

Beast Wars definitely changed my attitude about how I respond to changes in the franchise. Every time something strange seems to happen (Armada, Movie Megatron, Prime with lips/flames), I think about how wrong I was about BW and do my best to try to roll with the changes.

*queue REO Speedwagon*

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. It pops up on eBay from time to time.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was about 14 when I saw them, and I was just excited about some sort of Transformer being available. I remembered G2 and how (to me) it just dissapeared, and I was okay with anything. The toys started off good (lots of shellformers, sure, but BALL JOINTS) and kept getting better, and then the show blew my mind.

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I was quite young back then and I didnt get much pocket money so I went through all 4 seasons with only a few figures. It was interesting to see then progress through the years.

11. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I like beast wars toys :)  but I hate finding them at yard sales missing pieces and arms and legs.. poor little guys :( 

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I rediscovered my BW love when the first hints of Hasbro's 10th anniversary line popped up. I was actually quite surprised that I could get so giddy over a more show-accurate repaint of Waspinator. :) 

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I remember going from Late G1 through just a touch of G2 then BAM Beast Wars.

Ball Joints and Integrated Weapons? Pure Friggin Genius!

14. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

The articulation eventually won me over, but there were only a handful of Beast-era toys I actually considered good. I don't consider the series the end-all be-all like most fans do. I find the show a touch overrated. Some of the toys were all right, but I much prefer giant machines to animals.

I maintain that the series only became popular due to the inclusion of G1 continuity, and stayed popular because each show since has been progressively worse.

Today my appreciation of the show & figures has more to do with nostalgia for that time of my life, being in college and becoming a collector, then it does for the series itself.

15. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I can certainly agree that the other series haven't been as good, but I don't know about progressively worse. I thought Cybertron was actually pretty good! Of course, that's just my opinion...

When it comes to BW, I'm (apparently) one of the few people that wasn't a huge fan of the figures. From the articulation side, the introduction of the ball joints was obvioulsy a huge step forward but I did missed the vehicles!

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My first BW toy was Dinobot, which I saw at the time as OK, but not great. Oddly, one of the things that impressed me most about a lot of early BW toys was the paintwork, with soft-edged apps, Wiped bits where the paint only remains in the recesses, or translucent parts with silver painted on the detailed backside of the part, I remember thinking "we're in a whole new league here!"

17. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I liked Cybertron too...even went near completist on the toys. But show-wise it can't hold a candle to BW. Apples & oranges, but still.

You're not the only one who disliked the toys. I found many toys of the show cast severely lacking, and a lot of the non-show cast left much to be desired as well. I didn't care for the robot teeth, snarling faces, or kibble.

It also astonished me that they didn't attempt organic or Transmetallized updates of Kickback, Bombshell, and Shrapnel.

18. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I personaly love Beast Wars. It was the show I grew up with, and since I've been a collector, I've tried to get most of the show cast. Most of them are really great toys.

19. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    And you're still wrong. For a lot of people, yes, being connected to and including G1 is what got them hooked. But there are a lot of us who loved BW before the G1 connection was so strongly made. Some of us even think BW could have been a better show had it not included G1 at all!

20. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I will always heart my BW figs and I still remember my weird, but excited reaction when I first brought them in K-Mart eons ago.:) 

The connection to G1 was just very nice icing to an already exciting and well-written show.