3D Artwork: [Redemption] Shockwave's Datatracks, pt 1 - G.R.U.N.T.

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Draven, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The G.R.U.N.T. (Generic Recyclable Unimportant Non-essential Trooper)forms the backbone of the Cybertronian Decepticon garrison's forces, since the Liege Maximo has deemed most Decepticon warriors as unreliable and removed them from active service. G.R.U.N.T.s are essentially non-transforming, semi-autonomous combat drones, created primarily from scavenged materials & fallen Autobot warriors (including prisoners once they have outlived their usefulness); this allows for a relatively unending supply of raw materials, obtained from various smelting pools across Cybertron.
    The design is modular, allowing for a variety of weapons systems and upgrades to be fitted within minutes to a basic generic combat chassis. G.R.U.N.T.s are non-sentient; there is little point in programming a complex mind into the body of a machine that will most likely be destroyed the first time it is used. However, different types of G.R.U.N.T. are programmed with different levels of artificial intelligence.
    Listed below are the 3 most common types of G.R.U.N.T. in regular deplyment on Cybertron. There are numerous other types, but informnation on them is strictly classified; and, on a computer network designed by Megatron, I would deem it imprudent to go into detail here.

TYPE 1: THE INFANTRY G.R.U.N.T.
    [​IMG]
    A type 1 Infantry G.R.U.N.T. is a standard, unmodified model; standard weapons are restricted to a small gatling cannon in the left arm. Artificial intelligence is limited to obeying simple commands from their unit leader (typically a Decepticon). G.R.U.N.T.s do not have feet; they are propelled by a small force field. This should make them extremely quiet; unfortunately, the low quality of components used means that a G.R.U.N.T. is noisy anyway, thus canceling out this potential benefit (note: I am currently working on a design for a "Stealth-G.R.U.N.T.", which will utilise higher quality components, probably directly reused from fallen Autobots)

TYPE 2: THE AERO-G.R.U.N.T.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Aero-G.R.U.N.T. is a more sophisticated class of cannon fodder; their intelligence level is somewhat higher than standard models. They are fitted with powerful thrusters to the back and legs. Each Aero-G.R.U.N.T. carries 4 plasma cannons (wing mounted), and an energy claw (melee use, left arm fitted). Before being let loose, Aero-G.R.U.N.T.s are programmed with tactical data of the area they will be assaulting. This includes topographical data, and likely enemy numbers. They are typically issued with a set of objectives, in a hierarchical order; the Aero-G.R.U.N.T. will then work its way down this list in order. Once it reaches the end of the list it will return, to have its memory wiped ready for its next assignment. Aero-G.R.U.N.T.s are extremely aggressive.

TYPE 3: THE HEAVY ASSAULT G.R.U.N.T.
    [​IMG]
    This design of G.R.U.N.T. is designed for extreme assault; against fortified Autobot installations, far superior numbers, or close-up combat. The rear-mounted ballistic cannons (shown here slung over the shoulders) are each capable of leveling a small building; Each arm is fitted with a plasma cannon, and a set of close-quarters combat claws. They are also fitted with heavier armour than the 2 types of G.R.U.N.T. listed above.
    The destructive potential of, for example, 50 of these units (standard deployment number) is obvious.
    H.A.-G.R.U.N.T.s are programmed to be aggressive and ruthless fighters, and are programmed with intermediate-advanced close quarters combat skills. They are also programmed to be highly competitive. Unlike the other types, however, their memories are not wiped when they return from a mission; it is felt that not only is their experience useful, but it has also been found that leaving them with their memories intact makes them even more aggressive on future missions, due to their competitiveness and desire to "score" more close-up kills than their comrades.

TYPE 4: SENTRY G.R.U.N.T.
    Classified.

TYPE 5: BOMB-G.R.U.N.T.
    Classified.

2. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Great modelling as always. I just love the Type 3 G.R.U.N.T
    I love those Ballistic guns on his back. Can't wait for episode
    2 to come out

3. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

wow, i dont know what a grunt is but that looks really cool, i love the battle damage and dirt you include draven... simply awsome

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Very impressive! I especially like their bios. :thumb 

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are awesome designs. Great work dude!

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    How are you able to do such stuff. Inpressive. You are my hero. :rock 

7. Admiral Lilwall

Admiral Lilwall Lilwall Leader

awesome stuff! kinda similar concept to what I have in my own little fanverse. much more logical than mine hehe, and heeeeaps prettier too hehe.

good work, look forward to seeing more

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome stuff as always, Draven!

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

The red in Pic 3 looks a bit too saturated. I mean, it really stands out. I think just for uniformity's sake, it should be toned down to what you have going on the first two pics.

As for the overall model, I dunno, I mean they are grunts, but they just don't give me the same sense of awe as say your other characters. I think that part of it has to do with color variation. To me, there should be more variation, even if only slightly. I see that you have a real light blue on some pieces, maybe making that stand out a little more by changing the value and hue.

Man, I don't know what it is with me lately, I've been really anal retentive about minor things. I just got finished whining to some one at CGSociety that the hands on their Infinite Justice Gundam model don't look all that developed.

Must be bitter having to lay out all these damn UVs on my Megatron model. :p 

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed.
    I'll let their designer answer this one:
    Or, to put it another way:
    The design I came up with for these machines is intentionally unremarkable. Their intimidation comes from the fact that they are typically deployed in their hundreds. They are as much designed from Shockwave's perceived point-of-view of them as from mine.
    (Plus, to make them the most amazing design ever would detract on screen from the actual characters)
    Incidentally... you will see what Shockwave means about that last part in Episode Five. ;)