3D Artwork: Redemption 2 - The Great Retexture

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Draven, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    As a lot of you know, a hard drive crash a few months ago lost me prety much all of my rendered frames for Redemption 2. Well, I decided that before I restarted rendering everything again, I might as well improve some of the models & textures I was using. I'll be using this thread to show some of the rebuilt & retextured characters.
    First up:
    #1 - Spearhead
    [​IMG]
    Spearhead has had most of his arms rebuilt, and a complete new high detail set of hands now replaces the very basic set he did have. His feet have also been rebuilt (way back when I built him in about 2001, I didn't know anywhere near as much as I know now about modelling) and he's been completely retextured from head to toe using a combination of nodal shaders (something I have finally started to get to grips with) & image maps to add dirt & wear.

Next up - Cerebros.

Attached Files:

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    #2 - Cerebros
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New hands, a lot of small added details, modified head, and a complete new texture job.

3. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I haven't spent a lot of time in radicons so I'm not familiar with your work. These look really awesome so far. Great texture and lighting. When you're speaking of Redemption, is that a fic you've done with 3d renders in the past?

4. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

Sorry to hear about the crash. I was afraid I had missed the second movie. Looking good though!

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks! It's good to be working on Episode Two again, I have to say; I suppose it was a matter of getting enough entusiasm to work on it again.
    Next up: Megatron.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

Great looking character models.

8. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dang Draven, they are fine looking! Waiting patiently for part 2. Seems like it's going to look even better than the first one.

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The retextured models look great Draven! :thumb 

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    #3 - Megatron
    [​IMG]
    Same drill as the others - various parts rebuilt, and a completely new texture job.

11. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

A major downer that your drive crash took out all your work, Draven, but if it means that episode 2 is going to look this good, then it's almost a blessing in (heavy) disguise. Not that the stuff didn't look stunning before, but your texturing techniques and shaders are bloody awesome. Can't wait to see some anims with everything in place! :thumb 

12. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Sorry to hear about the hard drive crash, sometimes that can be devastating to the momentum of a small project, let alone one as large as yours. I can't quite recall the previous state of the characters, but the depth is striking in these 3 pics, and each of those fantastic scratches covering Megatron is perfect, there is a nice balance of reflectivity too, I'd say you made it a perfect opportunity out of unfortunate circumstances.

Does it render any faster or slower?

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As others have said, I hate to hear of the hd crash. Sometimes, great things just need new beginnings and such though :) 

While I'm subscribed to your YouTube account and an avid fan of your work, I'm really glad Rodentus prime posted the link to your YouTube channel. I'm glad to see this thread, and that you're working on things again :)  The two things I'd say about your work is that it's EPIC and that your work has ALWAYS inspired me.

BTW, I don't think I've ever given you props for your music work in your TF:R project. I've loved that track you made for TF:R ep.1 so much.

Keep up the great work, buddy :thumb 

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I have seen recently Redemption and was desperately looking around for the second part. Sad to hear then that you lost all your work. But I know that in most cases, the work even gets better, when you have to redo everything a second time. Although it is really frustrating...

Anyway: I'm really looking forward to this!

15. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Looks very good Draven, been a while since we've heard of you (at least in terms of stuff to show off). How long (in minutes) will Redemption two approximately be now be rendered? (And can your pc render more than one screenshot per day now? xD).

The one thing regarding the first Redemption Megatron I at least didn't like, was the fluid somewhat regular human face, since it didn't fit with the rest of the design, but also compared to others. Have you or have you considered rebuilding the face as well to be more robotic in nature? Bit hard to tell with this doomsgaze screeny. ;) 

16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah, that face bothered me too.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I can render considerably more than one screenshot a day now. However I'm still working on striking a balance between the amount of detail I put in and the rendering time. To put it in perspective:
    The original render of the Spearhead shot took about 15 minutes to render with Monte Carlo Radiosity at 768x1024 with 8 levels of antialiasing. However, that is only using a flat plane for the ground and an HDRI picture of some clouds & 1 spotlight for lighting. Putting him in a scene with a bunch of other complex objects, also with complex texturing, increases the rendering time a LOT, to the point where at the moment one frame at 320x240 is still taking over halr an hout to render. I have to get that time down considerably before I can properly get on with Episode Two.
    Considered it, decided not to. I like the face how it is.

18. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Ah well, it's understandable; would have been a lot of extra animation and headaches anyway to both model and animate complete faces afterall and it's quite the ambitious project as is. :) 

Quite looking forward to the result though. :) 

Btw, ever considered rendering part on another pc at the same time to save some overall rendering time? Even if you could do 25% on an other (even older) pc at a slower rate, could save you quite a few hours I think? :)  Of course, you'd have to have a licensed program I guess...

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Heh, I've also been a fully licensed user for a looooong time, ever since I started making oney from using it and could afford to buy it properly.
    And actually, this is part of my plan. Lightwave has network rendering built in, and each seat includes a 99 node license. it comes with a tiny client program that you install on other PCs (or Macs, or Linux systems) which lets you split renders over as many machines as you want (up to 99, of course). We have 3 PCs in the house, 4 if I set up all 3 of mine (I have one in my room, one in my recording studio, one that isn't set up at the moment, and one that is my Mum's) and I do plan on using all of them to network render scenes for the full animation.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    #4 - Full-Auto
    [​IMG]
    Full-Auto has had a lot of work done on him; completely new arms, new weaponry, new head, new feet, and a total texture job.