Red Steel for Nintendo Revolution! (Screens included)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, Apr 7, 2006.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Actually, it does make sense. Nintendo isn't just trying to make the control more simple and intuitive, they're trying to encourage developers to break out of old ways of doing things and try something entirely new. In the case of sports games, for instance, I imagine a much more immersive approach. Instead of mosly playing some kind of godlike player-manager-coach amalgam, I expect you'll spend less time issuing commands to the team and more time throwing, catching, batting, whatever. And if they still wanted to go the birds-eye player-coach, imagine using hand gestures instead of buttons to issue your instructions. It could work quite well.
    No idea on the cost, but this has been mentioned before as an option that will be avaiable for "traditional" games. Nintendo's focus is on doing new things though, not ports from other consoles. Seeing as most of the interesting games will be specifically designed for the Revolution, developers will certainly be able to cope with the number of available buttons. So for instance we might see a game similar to Devil May Cry, or we may get a new implementation of Devil May Cry, but there's no need to port the PS2 games directly. It's a new controller with interesting capabilities and most of the good developers are pretty smart. They'll know what to do with it. Red Steel looks like a good start.

2. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Personally, I think Red Steel looks GREAT. It's everything most people who complain about Nintendo systems want; a gritty, violent action game that has great graphics (for a supposedly weak console), and is exclusive to the system. I'm especially excited to see how the control scheme works. And it's a launch title to boot (as claimed by IGN)!

If the game is as good as it looks, I'm sold, and will be picking this up the day the system comes out. I've never before purchased a 3rd party game on a Nintendo system the day I buy it, so I hope this bodes well for things to come. :) 

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is pointless unless it actually fucks up your aim like it would IRL.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They got the ability to do it, so they did it. It's one of those things you gotta do at least once just to screw around.

5. flamepanther

Oh yeah... I forgot to make the most obvious counterpoint to thefrozenred concerning whether the Revolutions "weak" graphics will drive adult gamers away. I can't believe I missed it.

The PlayStation 2 has the worst graphics of the current gen consoles, excluding the Dreamcast, and we're talking by a significant margin. Obviously that hasn't been a big deterrent to its popularity, and very few people take time to think about how crappy it looks compared to the Xbox or even GameCube. I know Sony's got the general public brainwashed and all, but I don't think it's enough to create quite that much of a double standard that the Revolution's graphics will be a huge setback.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

7. flamepanther

Awesome! Thanks!

:eek: 

It's becoming increasingly clear that this is more than a "gimmick".

8. Gigatron_2005

Yeah, apparently the AI in Red Steel is going to be like the AI in FEAR. :D  I just hope they make the AI interaction as well as it is in FEAR.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually you can include the DC. Let us not forget the train wreck that is Grandia Extreme.

10. flamepanther

I did want to point out that there are games that looked significantly worse on the PS2 than they did on the Dreamcast (Grandia's hardly alone there), but it seemed somewhat extraneous to the argument. Despite abysmally poor antialiasing and being difficult to program for, it is technically more powerful than the Dreamcast and capable of higher polygon counts etc., so I just left it at that. Basically, the point was just "PS2 graphics are piss poor and it did well, so Nintendo hasn't got much to worry about here."

11. flamepanther

The blog with the blurry photos has lost the pics due to complaints from Game Informer.

That forum with the improved scans now requres membership to view the pics, if they're still even there :( 

12. Gigatron_2005

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    See, this is EXACTLY what I expect from a Rev FPS. :thumbs2: 

14. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

This game is a launch title, right? Good. This looks liek the coolest game ever. And giving rewards for sparing a life is something that can be used to verbally bitch slap Senile Laywer Man. :thumbs2: 

15. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Here:
    http://forum.fok.nl/topic/843646

The Red Steel dev team doing a photoshoot with the Rev controller.

Very interesting. Did not, for some reason, expect it to be so small and compact.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wow man, was reading about this game in GI and am still pretty stoked.
    Not just the new gameplay , but it showcases the new controller idea very well and I bet ideas are firing off like crazy from many 3rd party developers now that someones made an example.

Remember playing Duck Hunt & Hogans Alley and wishing I could use the Zapper for Mario, Metroid, Mega Man & Zelda.etc
    Maybe they can reprogram those classics for lightgun play. Plus Sega and Hudsons Turbograffix16 games, oh man I keep getting more excited the more I think about it. And Ive been playing a healthy Xbox 360 library for months

Now if you can't get past stage 5, just hook the machine up to a friends HUGE tv and shoot em with your eyes closed.
    Am wondering if that's going to be an oddball issue now.

17. flamepanther

Shouldn't be an issue, since it's actually a motion sensor, not a light gun.