Red Steel for Nintendo Revolution! (Screens included)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gigatron_2005, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Looks like the name of Ubisoft's Revolution FPS is out. This month's game informer. Here is a quote from this guys blog:

http://www.endangeredgamer.blogspot.com/

Fucking hot as hell indeed! :rock 

Edit: High Res pics here:

http://www.armleg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3888&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=mozlapunkmessag

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Aww yeah! That looks sweet.

The guy needs to learn what "scans" means though.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Very yes!

4. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Those are sweet!! Thumbs up to the less expensive game system.

5. flamepanther

I think the promotional spread pictures are pre-rendered, but the article seems to claim that the gameplay shots are real... and they definitely look "next-gen". The lighting effects are especially killer. So much for the naysayers, I guess.

6. Gigatron_2005

Apparently, a guy who works for Ubisoft and posts at the IGN boards has also said that this is not concept art.

And here is what GoNintendo is reporting about this article:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=1920

More is at GoNintendo, click on the link above the quote...

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    (Keep in mind I'm biased against Nintendo. :p )

Lighting effects are indeed quite nice, but if these are indeed in-game and not prerendered...well, meh. I'm not really impressed...the clothes still look too smooth for my tastes (not enough in terms of folds, wrinkles, texture, etcetc). If this is the final product, and it's competing against the (also claimed in-game) graphics of MGS4...well, it doesn't look much like Nintendo will be leading the pack in terms of graphics this time around. And, although I know Nintendo is attempting to broaden its marketing base, I think poorer graphics will turn away some adult gamers.

And, to make matters better/worse, the game looks like a home version of the original Area 51. I mean, the various control options (rotating the gun, etc) sound fun...but a FPS nowadays has to have something really great in order to be anything but ho-hum (e.g., Killzone). And I'm not so sure this gimmick will be that particular "great something."

But, hey, if you guys buy Nintendo and like it, that's all that counts.

8. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

dunno I wish there was a gun add on to play that. graphics are a MEH for me-I dont care realistm I want FUN-

Ill try it using a swords sounds migthy good.

9. flamepanther

If you're not impressed, why suspect they might be pre-rendered?
    Well that's up to you, but if your main concern about the game is how wrinkly the characters clothes are, it sounds like you've got funny priorities.
    Which has pretty much been known all along, but graphics aren't everything, and they're still quite good anyway. It looks as good as the stuff I've seen on the 360.
    Maybe some really picky ones. However the price might draw in quite a few more, especially those who have children to feed and bills to pay.

Considering that you can sneak up on somone and stealth-kill them, that doesn't sound one bit like Area 51. I think you're way off base there.
    Indeed :thumbs2: 

10. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Oh no, I fully believe that they're in-game. And, compared to the current systems (sans 360), they're pretty damn nice. I guess, for me, the bar was raised with the MGS4 trailer, and I have higher expectations of the graphics.

Here's a thought: what if they release a gun periphiel for these sort of games, ala wing alpha's suggestion? Clicking a remote control seems to be less fun than pointing and shooting a gun. And who's to say that it has to be JUST a NES-style light gun? Why not add recoil features? Or a revolving chamber, where each of the 6 chambers allows for a different feature of the gun (bullets, stun, jelly for blocking out cameras quietly, Bat-lines, etcetc)?

I fear (for you guys entirely, not myself) that Nintendo will run out of innovative things to do. I mean, I'm sure the first few gun and sword games will be fun, but when the ensuing games all essentially feel like clones of each other in terms of how the controller is used...where's the fun in that? When it really comes down to it, I expect that Nintendo's best games for the Revolution will be best experienced via a Gamecube controller. Can you imagine playing a game like Shadow of the Collossus with the Rev controller? Or a game like MGS/Splinter Cell? Or a platformer, ala Devil May Cry or God of War? True, I've just listed all Playstation games...but damn good Playstation games that many, many gamers have voiced a great deal of support for. And as innovative as Nintendo tries to be, I don't see them being able to successfully pull off these kind of games with a remote control-esque controller. Such a controller will be good for quirky games like the one previewed above, but not the heavy hitters, I predict.

And by illustrating sub-par graphics (in comparison to Sony), plus no truly updated normal-controller (as Sony did with the PS2's pressure sensitivity, and Microsoft did with the 360's Home button), I think Nintendo is screwing itself over by cornering itself into a niche where they have games with very innovative, yet simple, interfaces, as this game appears to have. Once Nintendo runs out of ways to keep the Rev controller truly interesting, innovative, and new, though...I think they'll be in a lot of creative trouble.

Which, I'm saying, is unfair to and unfortunate for you guys, the Nintendo supporters.

11. flamepanther

That would be pretty sweet, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Konami or Sega try this a year or two down the line. However, in the case of Red Steel, I'd feel a bit silly waving a gun around to swing a sword. It's a case where the generic-looking remote is actually helped by its genericness.
    With the use of the "nunchaku" extension, yes I can, and it would be absolutely awesome. Left hand stick used for walking, right hand pointer used for aiming, attacking, etc. In theory it should be far superiour to and provide much more control than two analog sticks.

12. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    UbiSoft, eh? There's a representative from the company (a texture and shading artist, to be precise) coming to my school tomorrow to talk about the company and the industry. I wonder if he'll show anything from this. The Midway represetative showed stuff from John Woo's Stranglehold.

This looks kinda neat, though. I'm glad to see what direction developers are going with the Revolution's controller.

13. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    But, even given the nunchaku extension (which I would think will be damned near standard for all Rev games), I think it would be difficult to play a game like DMC or SoC using only two buttons that are readily accessible. But we'll see...I have no doubts that if this idea really IS successful that Microsoft and Sony will adopt it and incorporate it somehow, just as how Sony adopted vibration technology once Nintendo showed everyone that it was cool.

14. flamepanther

At least four, actually. Unless I'm mistaken there are two shoulder buttons on the nunchaku stick.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the other "A" and "B" buttons on the main controller have been renamed "X" and "Y", so there's four main buttons accessible with just the remote thingy.

16. flamepanther

So as long as you're not trying to also use the cross pad and assuming the analog stick doesn't click, that's six buttons. The same as you'd have on a PS2 or X360 FPS with four shoulder buttons and two clickable sticks. Excellent. :thumbs2: 

17. Gigatron_2005

Just to set a small misunderstanding stright, I think it was Reggie who said that the Rev will NOT use Gamecube controllers for Rev games. The ports are there ONLY for GC games.

Which is fine for me. I hate playing FPS with sticks. This is looking like its going to be the savior of FPS on a console.

18. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Wait, the previously named A and B buttons...those are the ones where, if you rotate the Rev controller 90 degrees, they're used as the NES buttons, right? And they exist vertically below the natural place where your thumb rests on the controller? (As seen in the picture here: http://www.gamingandtech.com/uploaded_images/revolution-controller-at-a-glance-20050915061358181-000-754468.jpg )

Now, let's assume that there are shoulder buttons on the analog nunchaku. The "a" and "b" buttons (which are now renamed "x" and "y," right?) don't look as if they're in a place where it would be natural to reach...you'd have to move your thumb down a LONG ways on the controller to access them.

Now, presuming that there are shoulder buttons on the nunchaku...that's really only 4 readily accessible buttons, plus two that are kind of out of the way (ala XBOX's black and white buttons...for me, at least :p ). That still worries me for games like DMC, where you use 5 buttons constantly (lock on, jump, melee, gun, and special). It would seem the more logical choice for Nintendo would be to utilize the D-pad as 4 separate buttons...I have no doubts that if Microsoft or Sony adopted this sort of controller that instead of a big A button, we'd see the well-known four button circular formation instead.

GC, despite it's wonky layout of buttons, gives you 7 buttons naturally accessible at once, plus the C-stick and the D-pad. I know that Nintendo is trying to simplify the controller, making it more user-friendly to the public...but I think it'll only take so long until the Rev controller suffers from mediocre implementation.

We'll see, I suppose.

19. thefrozenred

Ebay:

Whaaaaaaat? That makes absolutely NO sense, especially for sports games or platformers that DO utilize many buttons! The other logical step would be for Nintendo to release another, GC-esque controller, or a controller shell for the Rev remote...which would cost consumers more cash, unless it was offered extremely cheaply.

I...wow. That news surprises me...and I somehow doubt that all developers will want to follow that rule (GC controller for old GC games only). It really does not seem to make sense for games that DO require immediate access to more than 4 buttons. (Again, this problem could easily be remedied if the D-pad is used as 4 different buttons instead of as a D-pad)

20. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

The main controller of the rev has a trigger on the back so shooting in this game should feel quite natural.