Red rings... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    So, I got the Red Rings of Death on my 360 for the third time!

I had a technical issue starting the work order on the website so I called it in.

The guy on the phone wanted to go through all the troubleshooting steps but I absolutely wouldn't do it. I kept telling him that I had done them all -I visited the web page and I knew them all from memory as this is my third console that died.
    Honestly, have they ever had anyone that plugged the 360 in a different outlet and the red rings went away? Ever?

Then I made the mistake of asking if my replacement unit would have the architecture that didn't have this issue and he started telling me that all of the 360s are engineered to have no issues and I should make certain that I have it well ventilated, etc.

I kept my cool until he suggested that I not play the 360 for extended periods of time.
    I told him "What the hell do you think I bought it for? To not play it?"

Sorry -this probably isn't even worth starting a thread over.
    I'm just so damn frustrated.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

dude that sucks so hard, if i may suggest writing a letter or someshit - make a fuss, maybe you can get soemthing out of them?

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yup. This is Sony's "Dream Come True." Microsoft had the console war in the bag, and now it's over. I know so many people who are just getting to the point where they can afford a current-gen console, and with literally everyone who had owned a 360 being on their third or fourth machine, they are just saying "no thank you" and saving for a PS3.

Yeah, I would have lost it there too. "Our consoles are engineered to have no problems, as long as you don't play them very often." Man oh man.

After the hardware debacle many of us experienced with the first-gen PS2, you think companies would take care not to let stuff like this happen. I was in the Marines when the PS2 was launched, and literally everyone who had one after 6-9 months had the disc-read error of death. I'm talking like 15 people in one barracks. Nuts.

I guess at least Sony learned from their mistakes. The PS3 seemed to get pushed out as quick as possible towards the end. I fully expected the PS3's issues to far outweigh the 360. Surprises never cease. I'm FAR from a Sony fanboy (rootkit anyone?) but its a shame to see Microsoft fail to fix this issue afte almos three years now.

5. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep wishing... I'm still on my 1st gen PS3... The man has a situation on his hands, and you STILL find the time to take a jab at the distinguised competition... pointing out SONY's "faults" ain't fixing his 360.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No but raising enough hell to MS might get him a new chipset instead of a refurbished old one.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Let's not fight over format wars etc.
    Everyone look at Windcharger's link and laugh. :) 

My point is that one would just think that Microsoft would train their people to respond a little differently to people who have had the issue multiple times.
    It would have been better if the CSR had just said "Sorry, I can't answer that" than to read from that rediculous script.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah because unfortunately, the guy is just doing his job, but after a certain point you have to just drop the script and say, "hey man, I'm really sorry, obviously, if you are on your third system then you know what not to do and what to do,"

The bit about "we engineer our systems to not have problems definitely made me lol, though. I still remember having to part witgh my original Bill Gates Signed Xbox because it popped. Sad times.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah -he said they are all engineered to be defect free.
    Of course they are -that is why there is a term for this huge failure issue and that is why the corporation not only extended the warranty, but changed the form factor of the hardware.

It is all because they are defect free.

10. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    You know, that doesn't work either. My system never got played for more than a handful of hours a week, at most, and WHAM-O, rings. So, they can stick that schtick. You'd think after 3, you'd get a nice brand new one or something. Give it a "Sorry, here you go, a nice fresh start!"

I'll go hold my breath.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But it's that element that scares me to no end. I will put hours into a good RPG, and I busted my PS1 when I played Resident Evil and left the machine on for almost 24 hours, and that's because I was stupid and left it on the carpet. I am looking forward to some RPGs on 360, and I hate to have to look at the clock and say, "ooops, time to give the 360 a break." And while it's advisable to take a break for your own good, I'd still like to know that I can pull an all nighter and my system will be ok.

12. GogDog

News Credits:
    Not really sure what you are trying to say. I have never engaged in a console war argument on this forum ever, and I never intend to, so not sure what the "still" is about. Just relax, don't get defensive, and everything will be ok friend.

All I am trying to say is that its a shame after all this time that we still have massive hardware failures and it takes forever to get any resolution. Smasher, I am sorry you are going through this again. It suck dealing with customer service, I know. Their hands are tied by the quote book they have to use, and in the end both the company and the customer suffer.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    This pisses me off because every time I think about getting a 360 something like this happens.

14. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So why bring SONY up at all? That was my point.

Yup. This is Sony's "Dream Come True." Microsoft had the console war in the bag, and now it's over. I know so many people who are just getting to the point where they can afford a current-gen console, and with literally everyone who had owned a 360 being on their third or fourth machine, they are just saying "no thank you" and saving for a PS3.

Yeah, I would have lost it there too. "Our consoles are engineered to have no problems, as long as you don't play them very often." Man oh man.

After the hardware debacle many of us experienced with the first-gen PS2, you think companies would take care not to let stuff like this happen. I was in the Marines when the PS2 was launched, and literally everyone who had one after 6-9 months had the disc-read error of death. I'm talking like 15 people in one barracks. Nuts.

I guess at least Sony learned from their mistakes. The PS3 seemed to get pushed out as quick as possible towards the end. I fully expected the PS3's issues to far outweigh the 360. Surprises never cease. I'm FAR from a Sony fanboy (rootkit anyone?) but its a shame to see Microsoft fail to fix this issue afte almos three years now.

We're here to help the man trough a time of crisis, and you basically state the equivalent of "Don't feel bad, SONY'S machine screws up too..." and I'm trying to figure out where that came from...

15. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is EXACTLY why I won't buy a 360... if they'd just fix this problem, I could finally reach console nirvana, and rise above petty fanboy discussions...

AND I REALLY WANT TO PLAY EARTH DEFENSE FORCE, DAMMIT!!!!

16. GogDog

News Credits:
    Because I went through the same thing. I can feel his pain. I had to send my console back twice and eventually just bought a second gen slim line. PLEASE stop trying to start something where there's nothing.

17. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's right... keep ignoring what you typed... maybe it'll go away. Although I DO have to give you the 1st gen PS2 statements... I went through 2, I think.

Hopefully he'll have some luck with that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is more the reason I buy multiplatform games on the PS3, but I couldn't NOT get a 360. I rolled the dice for Mass Effect and I don't regret it. And there have been some other good times on there as well. TFWHalo Nights, Streets of Rage with Smasher, and Doom 1 with my cousin. It's risky, but I have to pat my Halo edition for surviving, though I wouldn't Dare to hold my breath.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Guys, chill out or it's the thready banhammer for all and I will be forced to post "Really? x 100 in here and post really crummy animated gifs rather than awesome ones.

Only warning. Besides, we should unite to rage against MS's craziness in that other thread. That's some messed up stuff!

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. Mii60s!!