Red Lanterns are geting their own book

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Another title I don't want to pick up but must.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested enough in the GL franchise that I'll add Red Lanterns to my 'wait-for-trade' list (meaning I'll get to read it in ~2013), but I'm done with floppies after this month, so pass on the singles.

I'd be more interested in a "Tales of the Corps" (or whatever) title with different story arcs focusing on each of the different ROYBIV Lantern Corps and exploring them all individually a little more. I'm just not sure that the Red Lanterns are strong enough characters, or a strong enough concept, to support a title of their own long-term. A miniseries, maybe, but not an ongoing. And is the market really there to support 4 GL-related titles? I mean, this isn't Batman we're talking about here.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow...a Red Lantern title before a Yellow Lantern (or specifically Sinestro) title.

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm more than glad, they're what brought me over to the GL side. I've seen so much fanboy hate (RAGE?) about this though, but it's done, not much complainin' can do.

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm excited for this. I like the Red Corps, so I'm glad to see their own book. I just hope it's good.

7. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    This is pretty awesome as Atrocitus is the most well developed Lantern short of Sinestro and the human Lanterns. I really look forward to the development of these characters, as they're not entirely evil as the Sinestro Corps appears to be but are literally fueled by Rage instead. I think seeing RLs trying to control that will be very interesting.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

awesome

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how well this will work. So far, about 95% of the Red Lanterns we've seen are little more than snarling, blood-puking feral beasts. That's not really a good set-up for a cast of characters you'd want to follow the adventures of from month to month. The thing that gets me interested is that Pete Milligan is writing the book. Milligan is pretty hit-and-miss as a writer, but he always seems to do the best when he's working with a weird concept. I think there's a good chance he could really knock this one out of the park.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd much prefer a "Tales of the Corps" style series, or even miniseries for each corps, but they are interesting characters so I'll check it out.

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I think the one thing that can make this a compelling book is the one element we keep seeing in all the Red Lanterns whose backstories we know. They are all victims.

We have yet to see a raging asshole who's angry at the universe without at least a passable excuse. Every one of them has been victimized in some way. Their reaction to it is terrible, but that seed of an idea seems to seethe at the heart of this corp.

- Coeloptera

12. One

One Well-Known Member

I'll wait for the trade, already got to many on my list.

13. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    II believe they can do interesting things aside from the one-dimensional blood crazed villain. For one, this dude looks badass.

[​IMG]

He may be an effective villain, and it makes sense that they'd use RL for awhile due to the GL animated show which will feature RL's.

14. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Isn't he just a host body for 'The Butcher'?

15. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm all for this. Rage of Red Lanterns is what drew me into GL, so them having their own book is works great for me.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Dunno. Bleez for example seemed to be quite a bitch before becoming a Red Lantern, you didn´t see how she treated her slave?

17. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I think you may have missed the point of that story.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That's actually a cool idea. That could make for an engaging book. Makes it even more of a pity that they killed the purple Psylocke knock-off Green/Red Lantern in Blackest Night. She would have been a good central character for this.

19. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I'd rather have a Sinestro Corps-featured book (to flesh out some of their members as more than just textbook Complete Monsters) or a Blue Lantern book (I love those guys, but I guess I'll have to settle for Saint Walker joining the JLA), I'm all for a Red Lantern book if it's one or none.

And I hope they don't just focus on Atrocitus, Bleez, and Ruffles the Rage Cat. Give me stories focused on Skallox, Abyssma, Night Lik, Zillius Zox, Antipathy, hell, even Ratchet the space jellyfish! Make him the medic! ;) 

Ya. The Butcher's currently in Atrocitus's battery, to protect it from
    Krona
    , although it was a really cool character look.

Speaking of Entities, where's Ophidian/Hector Hammond been at, I wonder?