Red Faction Guerrilla Beta

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by The_Bardock, Aug 11, 2008.

1. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Anyone else get into it?
    I got my code sent to me by fileplanet yesterday and just finished the download. So far i've yet to get into a game.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Red Faction, outside of the tech, never really appealed to me so I kinda let this one slip by. I also have attained a fucking massive backlog :( 

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Red Faction was one fo those games that I want but never could get. I'm look forward to this because it looks cool, and I want Volition Inc to make more video games :) 

Maybe if they make enough games, they'll make a Freespace 3 in their spare time!

Teh, I think that's the 3rd time I have ever mentioned my hopes for a Freespace sequel.

4. DaggersRage

Reviving dead thread tyme! :p 

Red Faction Guerrilla came out today! I picked up my copy and got a neato handbook from Gamestop. I've havent played it yet, I've got 4 hours of work to do 1st but once I get home I'll be checking this out.

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the demo was fun enough

think i might give it a rent if i can
    looks neat

6. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I liked the demos of the game, but I might hold off on purchasing it until the price comes down a bit on a used copy.

7. DaggersRage

Well, its been a few days now that I've played the game. It's pretty cool, and harsh. The best game I can compare this to is Mercenaries 2. Except that the enemies arnt weak grunts meant for your amusement in destruction. The enemy AI can fight pretty good but what gets crazy is their reenforcments. It's like I really do need to fight like a gurellia, and work on hit and run tactics. I do my damage and then I have to GTFO, I just dont have the ammo to hold of these guys. Even if I did get extra ammo, everything (aside the ground) is destructable so whatever cover I have will break apart anyways.

I thought that the game would have your usual array of weapons plus some improvised mining weapons. Wrong on that one, sure I get the standard military type of firearms, and then the makeshift grear the rebels make, but what completly caught me off guard are the marauder's (aka barbarians, aka mother-f**ken savages!). They got their own version of the shotgun which has got like spikes and a big bayonette at the front and the other weapon I got was a spear/axe (halberg?) thing that chops through multiple enemies.

I'm enjoying the game and I dont know if it's just me just me playing on hard difficulty but I get the feeling that game is pretty tough. I just cant headshot a EDF soldier and be on my way. I have to keep my head down pleting them with bullets, aside from maybe a sniper rifle, these guys can survive headshots.

8. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got the game yesterday (I'm trying to liberate the Dust sector). The game feels very strange to me. I'm used to being the "good guy" who fights front-on against enemies that use terrorist tactics. Now, I'm the "good guy" driving trucks covered with mines into EDF buildings before detonating them a minute later; because completing objectives and being over-whelmed by EDF troops is a bit of a tightrope.

9. DaggersRage

No kidding about those EDF reenforcements! Holy crap. Yeah I feel I suffer from a moral delima with this game. I'm trying to free Mars from the opressive Earth Defence Force but one of my primary tactics is destroying everything, I don't know if I'm making things better or worse. I have a feeling that if the Red Faction repells the EDF, they have nothing but ruins leftover.