Minor/Repaint: Red Alert & Sunstreaker Re-Deco

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Valkyrie Hunter, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Valkyrie Hunter

Valkyrie Hunter Member

Nothing like the holidays to give you the time for family…and mild customization! So here’s Henkei Red Alert with a new head made from parts that I got from Shapeways, made by Cypherplex:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The head render is quite good, very reminiscent of G1 Red Alert:

Generations Red Alert Head Colours - YouTube

The head is made of three parts, with one light piping piece for the eyes and horns. If one is so inclined, one can dye this piece a light blue and replicate the way Red Alert looks when he goes gonzo like in that one G1 episode. In fact, that’s exactly what I tried to do, but I messed up the solution and added way too much dye so the blue ended up being way too dark. Rather than order another set, I painted the horns solid red. And wow, the material Shapeways uses really sucks up dye like a sponge! I can only imagine this head with black dye, and I just might have to try that with my other Red Alert.

In any case, if you want to try out these parts, be forewarned that it might be a little loose around the neck ball joint, so a few copious coats of super glue or nail polish will be necessary to tighten it up. Also, there is no screw hole to hold the head together, so once you glue the parts together and put this head on, it will be for good. My only gripe with these parts deals with the material it’s made of. The stuff is porous and grainy, not smooth at all. To get a smooth finish, more coats of paint than usual will be needed and this might obscure details, like etchings for the mouth. I actually had to etch the mouth myself once the painting was finished. It annoyed me that Sideswipe and Red Alert had the same head sculpt, so kudos to Cypherplex for making this head! To top things all off, I added a mix of Reprolabels stickers and some markings of my own.

Next is Henkei Sunstreaker, now with more solar yellow:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Using white parts from a junker Sideswipe, I dyed the white biceps and thighs yellow, then dyed the forearms black. These parts took longer to dye than the stuff from Shapeways, but it was well worth it. I really didn’t like the grey on Sunstreaker- I always preferred the color scheme on some early IDW drawings, so more yellow was in order. I also made some adjustments to the head because when those horns swung out during transformation, they drooped too much. Again, I added Reprolabels stickers for completion.

Thanks for looking, and Happy Holidays!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    that head... could also work as g2 sideswipe head!

amazing job though on red alert, but sunstreaker, wow he looks spectacular with a uniform yellow all over

3. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I have the same head on order from Shapeways and couldn't find any finished pics of it besides the one on their site. Are there any clearance issues when the head goes into the chest? Are those the launcher and gun from Cyberplex as well?

4. Valkyrie Hunter

Valkyrie Hunter Member

Thanks! I lucked out with the yellow dye - I thought I'd have to do some sort of dilution to get the right hue but it worked out straight from the box.

There are no clearance issues during transformation, but I'd make sure the head isn't looking left or right when it sinks into the chest. The weapons are from Renderform's upgrade kit.