Record-breaking opening day for TLK in China

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by G1 Evac, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    That's true for international movies in general. See: Doctor Strange moving the location of the Ancient One from Tube to Katmandu because Tibet is now part of China, for Live Action Mulan not being a musical, etc.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, its just assumptions as you have no hard numbers. Previously you stated the advertising budget for TLK was the same as the production budget. Now, all of a sudden, it's 50% of that. Neither you nor I know the actual advertising budget. So until we do, I suggest we table all discussions claiming to know how much money needs to be made to be considered profitable. We haven't even talked about toy revenue, cross promotional licensing or Bluray/Digital revenue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    As far as ads spending goes, Paramount reportedly topped theirs with this film.

‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Tops Studios’ TV Ad Spending

But since that's the only thing in my post that he could single out I let'em have it since it still doesn't matter. If Paramount and Viacom execs aren't scratching their heads right now, then Hasbro and Paramount Shareholders most certainly are!

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Who gives a f*ck about the circle jerking haters from Rotten Tomatoes? Fan dollars talk. Like it or not, it's still going to make lots of money.

5. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    - The $250M that Paramount profited from AOE's $1.1B box office was no assumption.
    - The increase in ad spending for this film in the US was no assumption. (here ya go.. ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Tops Studios’ TV Ad Spending )
    - The decline in US box office which is where Hollywood gets the bigger cut is no assumption.
    - The fact that Viacom was desperately trying to sell 49% of Paramount's shares last year but could because of flops like "Turtles 2" was no assumption.
    - The $475M lost that Paramount accrued last year and the 5 flops this year due to them thinking that "mediocre to crappy" films would be as RT proof as Bayformers is IS NO ASSUMPTION!

From a business perspective, it's simply common sense. And FYI AOE's merch ($30M) was factored into their bottom line giving them a profit of $250M according to Deadline 3 years ago. AOE's Home market performance (before taxes and fees) is $62M (Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) - Financial Information ). This film isn't shaping up to be anywhere near AOE's Domestic numbers which was my point.

So nitpick on semantics all you want. Paramount is still failing overall.

6. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back track and 'dog and pony' all you'd like but this discussion is not about Paramount. It's about TLK.

/done

7. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Haters..? All 120 of them...? Seriously?!!!

Sure it could still make a profit (not as much as AOE did) but after weathering the other 5 of Paramount films that flop this year along with the knowledge that Paramount was -$475M last year and this film not making a dent in that. Paramount will just be submitting more tax writeoffs after the 4th quarter.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    So legit numbers and facts equals "Dog and Pony". Gotcha! Tell that to Paramount's Shareholders and Hasbro and if they buy it, Viacom may offer you a job! :lolol 

9. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only numbers you have thrown out from THIS YEAR is Paramount's partial budget for TLK tv ads. Come back when you have the complete gross numbers and the complete costs leaving the net profit/loss from TLK.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    120 movie critics vs MILLIONS of movie goers. Critics can hate Bay all they want, fans win in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Perfect avatar to posting-personality synergy right here^

12. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did I specify toys? There is media associated with nearly all of those lines. Each is a line of merchandise as well.

The very succint point is: there is a ton going on in this brand concurrently. If you hate the movies, then they're easy to ignore.

The Combiner Wars cartoon was a massive success in terms of views. Why would they be working on a follow up if it wasn't?

13. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Hey for the sake of YOUR argument. Lets say there is no Marketing at all and its just the $260M budget reported by a few sites.

And Since Bay Fans wanna ignore how important the US box office is to Hollywood. How big a box office would China have to be to make back that $260M budget alone? Keep in mind that Paramount on gets 25% of China's BO which is only $12M so far....

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I wonder how well it's doing in other Asian countries like south korea, Japan or Malaysia.

15. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    You aren't doing all of your homework son! Those MILLIONS you speak of are declining drastically every sequel in the box office where Paramount needs them the most!

So fan's claiming "they'll still win" knowing all that's at stake are either delusional, can't do proper math or both.

16. Tcmjuk87

Tcmjuk87 Well-Known Member

Those millions of fans are still a minority.

The 120 movie critics you are singling out, speak for a much wider spectrum of audience. The same audience who made films like the Mummy, Pirates 5, and Baywatch bomb because they were bad films.

Critics aren't some elite class of people who don't understand franchises. A lot of them are geeks who actually grew up with the franchise. They have as much right to enjoy these films as you do, but even they know they can be done better.

People argue that these films have kept transformers in business. THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BAY. I know it's hard to prove at this stage, but I strongly believe that this series would have made billions regardless of the director. That doesn't mean they can't be done with heart.

I hate the way fans act like this is the best deal we can get.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venomus Rodimus

Venomus Rodimus Well-Known Member

Never mind, I'm out of this discussion. The floor is yours, I'm beat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    "Why do people have to enjoy what I don't! Waaaahhhhh!"

• Like Like x 3
  19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

God I love this forum during movie season. Keep melting everyone, on both sides.

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    He only did with DOTM and AOE, not ROTF, with ROTF it was "i am gonig to do TF3, but i wanna do a smaller film first."