Reconsidering bot mode scale in my classics collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jun 25, 2012.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With Takara rebooting the MP line to put everything in G1 cartoon robot mode scale, it made me go back and consider this.

[​IMG]

I never liked the Faith Leader as Prime for my classics, but after seeing the direction of the MP line I am more open to it. But that is not the focus of this thread. What is though is my realization that MP Grimlock is actually in robot mode scale with the classics. I know that I'm not the first person to realize this, but I haven't seen anyone bother to put them together for a photo. I also tossed in a Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru for a Jetfire stand in.

For those of you that mentioned using MP Grimlock in your classics collection. I have to say, I'm starting to see your point! There's a good chance that what you see in this picture is going to end up all on my classics shelf.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what has got me excited over the direction of the MP line - scale! They would look amazing displayed in a cupboard or shelf (that would be risky)! But I can't wait to display Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave together! :) 

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    If they do a lot more figures in the MP line it WILL supersede all the stand-in classics figures for sure. I've always looked at the classics line as a modern update to the originals, like Binaltech/Alternators.

4. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well taking that picture made me redo my Ark shelf.

[​IMG]

There isn't a millimeter of free space on this shelf so it will be reduced to probably just the actual Ark crew.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would use Grimlock for my Classics collection if there were actually other dinobots to go with him.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I keep my MP Grimlock with my Classics. :)  It's funny, I've always thought he was just a smidge too big, but having Faith Leader in there instead of Classics Prime (who is about a head shorter) really helps bridge the gap. The lineup in your photo looks great together! It confirms what I've thought before: it's not that Grimlock is too big, it's that Classics Prime is a bit too small.

7. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

this is what my classics collection is about. i love the subtle size differences between these bots. throw in the igear vanbots and grapple inferno classics with the smaller car bots and i think its a hit.

i am seperated from most of them at the moment. this is all ive got autobot wise, and hegemon is my lone decepticon.

im really hoping a good third party puts out the other dinobots at mp grimlock size. that would make a nice backdrop to the smaller bots.

[​IMG]

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    With this thread and this one, all you've made me do is want a MP Skyfire/Jetfire more. I hurl my ARGH at you juise! :lol 

9. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The sad thing is, with Takara now doing MP figures that are to scale in robot mode we'll probably never see a Skyfire. In this day and age a Jetfire is completely out the window too :( 

You're no stranger to customizing, so roll that ARGH up with some cash, and red paint and get a 1/48 Yamato. :) 

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Classics Grimlock looks so weird alone. The design is also too streamlined for a Grimlock IMO. Dinosaur robots are a winning combo - why can't Hasbro give us the 4 remaining Dinibots. I doubt we will see that now especially since Grimmy was released years ago.

Juise - nice pictures! One thing about G1 is that despite the large cast of characters, the aesthetic for the toys are very similar. Add to the interesting characters, personality quirks and interesting stories in the comics, the sheer number of gimmicks, they are the greatest and most memorable TF generation. Some people who bash the G1 cartoon forget that the era of cartoons were basically toy advertisements.

With regards to Skyfire, he's not prominant as the Autobot cars such as Sideswipe or Mirage but IMO if TakaraTomy is unable to get the car licenses for characters like Bumblebee, who knows? They may produce him to keep the line going?

11. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point, I don't think VW/Porsche will turn down the money they can get for licensing. They'll probably just say no weapons, and call it a day. At least with Jazz there is an alternate route too. If Porsche does say no, Takara can always turn to RUF.

As far as Skyfire goes he would have to be a Supreme size Masterpiece to maintain this new scale (because the 1/48 Yamato is still to small). IMHO there's no way that will ever get approved anytime soon.

12. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Just throwing this out there: [​IMG]will greatly help with any considerations regarding scale. It primarily focuses on alt modes, but still very useful. It may interest you all to know that MP Grimlock, Faith Leader, Classics Prime, Ironhide, Ratchet, Perceptor and Windcharger are all about 1/45 in alt mode (FL turns into a much bigger bot, but almost the same-sized truck). The deluxe cars and MP-10 are all about 1/35.

13. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I saw that thread when it was started, but honestly I never cared about alt mode scale.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Meh. Scale.

Use your display to imply scale on the 3d shelf that it is, and stop thinking so 2d.

Place toys of characters you think are smaller than they should be towards the back, and toys of characters that're too big up in front. Then display specific figures next to each other to show the scale you want. It gives your display an added depth that isn't actually there.

As an example, I have my Henkei Skyfire in the farthest back corner of the display. Next to it are Henkei Minibot Brawn and Trailbreaker. In front of them is United Windcharger and Cyberverse Powerglide. And then in front of those is United Wheeljack and Ratchet.

You've got smaller figures as you go back, so when you see Skyfire back there, you imply that he's larger than he actually is.

15. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Your post reeks of wisdom sir.

I'll finally be getting a display cabinet soon and I'll be keeping this in mind.

16. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand what you're saying but, I hate faking scale!

My classics aren't normally all jammed onto one shelf, that was just for the picture. I personally want the scale to already be there with the figures. When Ironhide is shorter then Prowl something is wrong. No matter how you setup the scene something is going to seem off (kinda like a Tom Cruise movie) :)