Reconciling the Deluxe Insecticons

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Seeing as the deluxe Insecticons never had time on tv and only minute appearances in comics with no backstory, do you ever wish there was fiction elaborating more on what connection if any they have to the basic Insecticon trio?

They're not just from different toylines though with different size and engineering, Hasbro didn't even unify them color-wise leaving the basic three the same colors and deluxe ones four distinct schemes. In their comic appearances the deluxe cons are always part of other groups like the Mayhem Attack Squad or Ultracons but never associate with Shrapnel's gang.

And yet Venom claims the function of commander, not Shrapnel, so you'd think there was some connection to the other Insecticons. The only time I know of him interacting with the basic cons is in the Ladybird books.

Idk, just always bugged me that two groups in the same series/line released in the same year belong to the same subgroup bug have no connection even implied in any media outside a picture book 30 years ago. I wish there was some media connecting the groups or at least explaining why both Insecticon teams have insect modes but aren't related team-wise, color-wise or origin-wise. It'd also be nice to get rereleases of the Insecticons with a unified scheme, that's a discussion for the toy forum...

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've always felt like there was an unaddressed void in the fiction here as well... what exactly should the distinction between the "Deluxe" Insecticons and regular Insecticons be? Obviously the word "deluxe" seems more like toy marketing jargon, than an canonical term.

As a point of interest, Shrapnel was never the Insecticon leader. Not officially. Kickback outranks him, and is actually the smartest and most charismatic guy on the team (Bombshell is second). Shrapnel is far too much of a berserker to put in command anyway. :) 

If you will indulge me, here's my 100% totally unofficial take:

How's that? :) 

zmog

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

One word... BRILLIANT!

Except, why take bug forms too if you know the downsides to the transformation?

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Couse bugs are awesome, that's why.

5. SMOG

The "bug modes" aren't the source of the energy conversion drive. They're just alt modes... in fact, it's mentioned specifically in the (rare) long bios for the Deluxe Insecticons that they can mass-shift down to actual insect size, or choose to remain as giant insects. Their mass shifting "power" was just modified to allow the "black team" to pretty much eat anything, something their Deluxe counterparts don't have.

And technically, there would be no "down side" to the energy conversion process. It works as advertised. The ability to create temporary swarm of clones was an accidental byproduct of the experiment, and it only turns them into ravenous zombie bugs if they decide to replicate themselves (the more they create, the worse it gets). If they just use it to fuel themselves on raw matter, it's not a problem... it's when they improvise that it gets weird.

This is just an idea that was rattling around in my head... a sort of way to reconcile the way that the Insecticons were depicted in their original bios with their portrayal on the cartoon.

It also sort of allows for the divide between the 2 groups of Insecticons, by explaining that at one point on Cybertron, they were all part of one team. Maybe there were other Insecticons too, but by the time we reach the present day, only Venom, Ransack, Barrage and Chopshop survive.

zmog

6. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Beetras - true story beine of insecticons

7. SMOG

Looking at those Beetras images again, reminds me just how awesome the Deluxe Insecticons were for the time... though I confess the limited arm articulation on Chopshop and Ransack did bug me.

zmog

8. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I found the Beetras way back when, I always wished we had got the ladybug so we could have had a female Insecticon...

9. SMOG

Yeah, but as usual, the girl bot never got a toy. :( 

It's funny to see how anime marketing eventually shifted away from little boys and more towards an adult geek market that avidly consumes anything with boobs and eyes larger than dinner plates. ;) 

zmog