Reconciling hate for ROTF, but love for the toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Jeeeeez

Y'know, I'm having this issue. I really don't like ROTF. So much in fact, that I had assembled the movie cast in figures, and once a home viewing of the dvd really showed me how much I hate it, I just couldn't justify having the movie figures! I couldn't figure out why, if the movie shows a version of these characters that I loathe, that I would want them as part of my TF collection. It made no sense. That's how much I dislike ROTF. It made me totally turn on my movie collection.

But, now that a little time has passed, I just can't deny that I really like the designs on most of the figures. Especially guys like Sideswipe and Mindwipe. I like that they aren't childish in design (funny considering how they ACT in rotf) and a couple really are some of my favorite designs since RID.

So, is anyone else in my boat? Glad to see adult style, butt kicking, serious designs, but completely put off by Bay? What's a TF fan to do? It's hard to love ROTF SS so much, yet despise ROTF so terribly, and like animated, those designs are specific and do not blend with other lines. I had decided to focus on Classics only, but when I'm in the toy isle I crave some of those badass figures.

I'll tell ya, I can't wait to check out Prime. It may solve all of my issues. One way or the other.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Toy discussion, meet the toy discussion forum.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I kind of agree. some of the figures, especially the ones that weren't in the movie, are great designs and cool toys. same thing went for the figures for the first movie.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same boat, but i only have the novelty figures, and the classics hybrids, novelties hide in a curio cabinet away from most of my collection

5. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I have to agree. While i did not hate ROTF i was pretty disappointed with it overall. The toys however i love. The best ones are of course the ones with out appearances in the movie. Mindwipe, Lockdown, And Bludgeon are all amazing figures. I also love the HA line those are pretty fun figures especially Barricade.

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    To be honest, there's not really many ROTF toys I like. I only own Dirt Boss, Lockdown, and Jolt because of how well they fit in with my Classics/Universe toys. I only plan on getting Bludgeon and that may be it. Don't get me wrong, some of the toys we've gotten in the line were pretty awesome (Leader Optimus Prime tempts me every time I see him on the shelves at the Kroger grocery store near me), but they just don't have that spark like previous toylines did.

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't see what difference it makes as far as what line a TF toy is from. If you like it; you like it.

For example; I hate the Beast Wars, but I do think one of the Monkey Primes I saw was pretty cool looking (probably more funny) so I'll probably get it one day.

They're just toys.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of Michael Bay, but I am a fan of the talented folk at Takara and Hasbro. That's my rationale for getting the toys. I'm impressed with their handiwork. Highly impressed.

I've always been in it for the toys first and foremost, the fiction is but a distant second.

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't think ROTF was a particularly great film, but I still buy toys I like from the line - just like I did with Energon and the Beast era.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I love the film and the toys.

But then, there isn't much Transformer-related merchandise I don't enjoy.

Hmmm, maybe the cartoons for the Unicron trilogy *shudders* or Universe Galvatron but everything else, pure love.

11. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

ROTF was not a great movie by itself, but I think it was a great Transformers movie. Totally fan phreaked for Ravage, Soundwave, Devastator, and Jetfire. I thought all of those were cool updates that were faithful to the G1 counterparts.

So this is the toy forum though. The ROTF toys were okay, especially the larger ones. Prime was awesome, even better than the excellent TFTM version. The ROTF Megatron was way better than the 1st movie one, as was Starscream. The deluxes were all about the same. I thought ROTF Jetfire toy was a disappointment.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I love the movie designs, so of course I love the toys. For example, the scouts in this line are pure win. There are other cool toys in this line.

13. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    While there are some really great toys in the ROTF line, I feel if the movie disappoints, then the toys loose some of that luster.

However, there are really great designs within the ROTF line, that are mostly, off screen characters. Almost all the scouts should be checked out, deluxes Lockdown and Brawn, voyagers Bludgeon and Mindwipe, and leader Prime are great examples. For actual movie characters, the constructicons are alot of fun, Jolt is a great deluxe, and Recon Ironhide has awesome playability. Voyager starcream is nice, but it seems like his leader figure will overshadow it.

For me, I have gotten rid of some of my ROTF stuff just because the movie franchise is loosing so much appeal. I will no doubt buy TF3 toys, but I will be very selective. I can see alot of ROTF repaints applying to TF3 movie lineup, especially characters that haven't been already repainted in the ROTF line.

14. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I despise the live action movies. Everything about them. That said, I've picked up a number of the off-screen movie figures and have been happy with them.
    -G

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate to admit it because I don't like the movies and it seems every time you say that, the fanboys come in bitchin but some of the toys are awesome. I love ROTF Movie Megatron and Sideswipe. Yeah, Megatron has a weird arm but so what, it kicks ass!!

16. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The ROTF toyline seems to have been put together with a great deal of care, unlike the first Movie line whose popularity seemed to catch Hasbro on the back foot and the line was flooded with rubbishy Cybertron repaints that tried desperately (and failed) to fit in with the LAM franchise.

As like others of you, its the second wave of figures thats really grabbed me. Bludgeon, Brawn and Lockdown are all excellent (although Lockdown's alt mode does betray his origins as an Animated character), and I really, really like Long Haul and Mixmaster.

However, there have been some misfires. Supreme Devastator is awful, both The Fallen and Soundwave are toys in search of an alternate mode and some of the early Scouts (Dirt Boss, Dead End I'm looking at you) aren't so great. Mindwipe and Skystalker's 'humping aircraft' mode is an odd selling point too. There's also the creeping in of those awful Energon Gestalts - but with lower quality plastics and exceptionally bad quality control (I was also secretly hoping they might put out the Energon Constructicons for a laugh). Plus there's those Legends toys that have been a near continuous waste of resources since their inception. Overall though, the line has offered a good range of figures with enough to be of interest to olde and new fans alike.

Now, can anyone tell me if Armourhide is any good? He's currently on my radar...

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You don´t like Legends? Weird, I kinda like mini Transformers...

As for Armohide, I don´t have it, but people seem to like it.

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

He's ok, but he's actually a TFTM figure repaint (Landmine). So if you thought that line sucked then you probably wouldn't like it.

19. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wasn't sure if he was repaint or not. Thanks for that. It was just the padding of the first line I didn't like. The few off-screen characters that looked the part were pretty decent ( I like my Stockade figure very much!).

As for the Legends toys, Magnus, yeah, I'm not a fan. They all seem to be generally charmless little lumps with a load of unnecessary articulation for something that size. I prefer the sturdier Micromasters of yesteryear :) 

20. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If I sit down and think about it, instances where I liked a show/movie and the toys as well would be few and far between. ROTF sucked every part of a diseased flea-bitten monkey, but had some great toys. But then again, most of the TF animation over the last 25 years has been bad - excepting BW, Victory, Animated, some of MF and some of G1, and the toy lines have had their highs and lows as well. I think only Animated and Victory have matched up with a watchable show and an overall great toyline together - everything else has been one or the other, or a toyline without a show/movie/whatever to accompany it.