Customs: Recon Ironhide - lookin for some first timer suggestions!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Josh, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    hey guys!

First time i'm wanting to brave some minor kitbash/repaint work and i'm just looking for some tips and suggestions!

i've checked out some of the how to stuff but some of its a bit beyond me and not QUITE what i'm looking for

[​IMG]

i just picked up Recon Ironhide off of ebay here and i'll tell ya what i'm looking to do! its just minor stuff but if you have any easy suggestions on how to do some of it i'm all ears!

basically what i'm looking to do is remove the silver lightning bolt stuff [easy enough. just rubbing alcohol right?]

remove the blue from the windshield. I figure rubbing alcohol here as well but then that would just leave me with that hideously bright grey plastic

which brings me to the last thing i'm thinking about doing! getting rid of that bright grey color on the plastic

now for the windshield part, i figure just making it black will be fine enough but for all the rest [the light bar, the grill guard, etc. pretty much all of the exposed grey plastic on vehicle mode] i'd like to make it maybe black or like a real dark kinda gunmetal

i'm tempted to go for spray painting cuz that seems, in my mind, to be one of the easiest routes. i dont really wanna get into dying or anything and im definitely not about to try busting out a paint brush and brushing it all down by hand. lol

oh and i'd like to add some silver to the grille/headlights like it should be. i think its blue on this version x__o

so yeah! what would you guys suggest?!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Flat black will be your friend on this.

I'd suggest painting the lighter gray parts flat black, and then taking some silver to do some drybrushing on it. This will give those parts that metallic, weathered look.

You could go with the the flat black on the windshield, or a high gloss - either way, you'll want a really good contrast from the windshield and the rest of the toy.

The stripes should come off with alcohol, ya :) 

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

You're going to spray paint the gray parts in vehicle mode, black? Unless you want to disassemble the whole thing, I'd just take a brush to it. Flat black and then a like of silver like Allen said. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of masking or a lot of screws to keep track of.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    cheers for the idea Treadshot!

i figured spray painting [or something] would just make it easier to get a more even look.
    i've not done much hand painting [especially on little round plastic parts :p ] so i worry about it coming out uneven or visible brush strokes or what not

i'll take a look and see how difficult it might be to disassemble some of it. i think i could probably get around some of it if he was like mid transformation. some parts stick out and i can get a little better access and masking wouldnt be too big a problem

i dunno. it all depends!

high gloss on the windshield and flat black on the rest is a good idea though! thats kinda what i was thinkin fo goin for anyway :D 

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If you use quality paints, you'll do fine. I have never had brush strokes with, say, Games Workshop's Chaos Black, nor Testors Flat Black, hell black is so easy even Tamiya does it right (i'm not a fan of Tamiya ;)  ). You shouldn't get too many brushstrokes. Not to mention Black is the easiest colour to paint, objectively speaking, simply because it's so dark you won't see any mistakes unless you stare really closely at it. :) 

Good luck.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    cool :D 

i'll look into that then! may just have to buy me some paints!

7. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I would like to recommend Krylon Fusion flat black. It can be easily found at Walmart and bonds directly to plastic. This stuff is awesome!

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    nice! good to hear!

i'll look into it :D 

something that bonds to the plastic definitely sounds ideal lol
    thanks!

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Future floor polish is your friend with this :) 

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    o_O 

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    k. i been looking into what that is and that stuff does sound quite cool!

either way, i wont be getting my Ironhide in the mail til like next week *shakes fist at USPS* but i'll be gettin myself prepped!

it'll help when i have the figure in hand to see exactly what all i wanna repaint but im excited! will be my first real radicon-ization!

eeeeeeeeeee!

:B

12. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

If you decide to go with hand brush work, just remember to use an appropriate thinner to what kind of paint it is (if it's acrylic a small amount of water will work), and work in several thin layers.

I'm sure with your colour choices it'll look awesome. :) 

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    its not too hard to mess up black is it?

xD

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    UPDATES!!!

Phase 1 is now complete!!!

what exactly did phase 1 entail, you ask?

Parts swapping and lightning bolt paint removal!

i took my 07 Ironhide and mutilated it, taking parts off and putting them on my Recon ironhide

I replaced the truck mode front end grille/hood parts, swapped recons grey rearview windows for 07s black, put 07s shoulders and hands on recons [cuz 07 has the nice gold painted detail on the shoulder and black fists], and i also swapped the thighs. i didnt like recon's blue paint apps and opted for 07s gold. overall just looks a lot nicer and more cohesive :D 

and, of course, i rubbed the snot out of those hideous silver lightning bolts!

Phase 2 is painting the windshield and all the grey bits but i think i'll hold off on that for a little bit. i need to gather enough strength to brave painting n stuff. lol

w00!

Attached Files:

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm glad this is turning out well for you!

What was your experience like doing all of this? What things went well for you and what things didn't? Looking back, what are some things that you see that you can change for another future custom?

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the experience was fun! i liked swappin out some of the parts. lookin at 'em real good and seein what i'd have to do to take it apart and make sure i was gettin the right pieces

the only thing i maybe didnt care for was removing the darn paint. i was expecting it to be maybe a little easier/less time consuming to get it off but once i let 'em soak for a good little bit it was easy doin

i'll probably have more to say once i begin and finish the painting process xD

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I look forward to reading about your experience some more :) 

18. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Yo Josh, great work man! I guess I got too busy and missed this, but these guys had you covered. Now was this a first-time 'bash, as in ever? It came out great regardless of first or 100th. As for painting, just thin the paint with some future (in Testors Acryl or Tamiya Acrylics--I've done it to both). Shake or stir 'em well, then use a brush to paint. Do thin layers and it should lay down nice and smooth/flat.

Spraying is definitely easier and faster, but painting with a brush is also fun and gives you a bit more control, sometimes without the need for masking. I agree with those who mentioned Krylon Fusion Ultra Flat Camo Black--that makes for a great primer to apply a base coat and details to.

Now that you're rocking and rolling on this, you should make a thread in Radicons and show off some WIP on it. And keep up the great work! This is one of those hobbies that tends to sink it's teeth into you and never let go. lol (so I'm hoping we see more from you, bro).