Minor/Repaint: Recon Barricade -- casual touchups

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Two days ago I bought, and less then two hours later, returned, Deluxe Brawl... because I just could not deal with the cheap plastic, poor articulation, and floppy shoulder pegs. In exchange I picked up Recon Barricade. I wasn't initially planning to get RB, because like many I believed the original Barricade color scheme was better, and I didn't have any need for a second of that mold, which I wasn't too terribly fond of to begin with. (Mittens + bad feet)

Say what you like about the Grey + Blue, but while most of our Police Cars in the USA are Black and White...there are some countries in Europe whose police cars sport this very same color scheme, such as this German Brabus CLS Rocket.

(AND YES, PEOPLE. I KNOW HOW TO READ. I'm not as stupid as some of you apparently think I am. I know the door reads "Security," I'm simply making a comparison/justification for anyone who thinks the colors are ridiculously unsuited for the figure. Jeez.)

Anyways, I wanted a figure, and I had everyone else I even remotely wanted, so I went with this guy. He looked a little vanilla, even for a straight-up repaint of Barricade, so I gave him my standard hour-long-makeover-session using paint pens and markers.

The results:

[​IMG]

Here he is in Vehicle mode, with the requisite Jin's Lightbar mod applied. Thankfully I had some spare blue LEDs lying around, so they match...though it's caught in mid-strobe here so they look uneven. I gave the hood vents a black wash then highlighted them with silver, and "dirtied up" most of the panels and panel lines to add some visual interest to the vast spanses of plain grey plastic.

[​IMG]

The dirty washes on the back. I filled in the SALEEN and license plate frame, then filled in the exhaust pipes and gave them a silver highlight. Plus in my mind, it resembles a filthy security vehicle used to driving patrols around the mall rather than being polished in the police garage. (Though it seems a little strange for someone to make a mall-cop-car out of SALEEN mustang.)

For some reason, the one I got, the quality of the figure was pretty shoddy. The paint apps were adequate, but the figure just doesn't seem to want to stay together, and panels don't seem to want to line up as properly as they should without forcing another part out of position. On figures this complex, a pin situated even a fraction of a mm out of alignment can wreck the whole toy.

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of his upper body in Robot mode. I did a marker wash on the hubcaps and bullbars to make them look at little more gunmetal -- We know Barricade was almost 100% black in the movie, but since this figure was never featured anywhere, I'm free to make up paint apps...which means minimizing the impact of the plain black plastic everywhere.

[​IMG]

I also did a gunmetal wash on the black forearms and fingers, but left deep black inbetween the fingers to try and help accentuate the fingers within the mittens. I used the Blue Roseart Colorsharp Metallic pen to highlight a lot of little areas, because the chrome blue is just different enough from the blue used elsewhere on the figure that it adds a slight contrast while adhering to a coherent color scheme.

Another technique I commonly use; I dabbed a q-tip with the black Uchida Marvy to get a little paint on it, then squirted a little goo-gone on it, and sponged the insides of the grey body panels with the diluted paint. If you flip over the q-tip, the clean end can then be used to brush off the highlights before it dries.

[​IMG]

A close-up of his head. I added just a few little paint apps, again to help break up the monotonous black. His clear eyes got a little bit of a red sharpie dusting with a very faint silver highlight on the pupil. If you look carefully you can see the slight (and intentional) variation between the factory metallic blue and the Colorsharp metallic blue on the eyebrow ridge.

[​IMG]

A close-up of the hips and thighs. These large grey pieces benefited the most from the black wash, really bringing out the detail lines and sculptural details you couldn't see on the all-black Barricade. In the back, of course, the guts for the light bar mod.

Something I noticed you CAN do, if you're so inclined...is to turn his calves 180º around backward, so his rear windshield halves become shin guards...it doesn't look too terrible...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and certainly doesn't hurt the figure's already crippled ability to pose. Additionally, it makes the figure look an awful lot (in color and aesthetic) like Camshaft. Remove/cover the decepticon decals and give the boy a new head and it would be quite easy to pass him off as the Autobot...I might look into that.

And of course, I had to show a little love to his gimpy little sidekick, true-blue RIRFIB Frenzy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just washed and swabbed him to make him look less day-glo blue, and accentuated his panels with blue Colorsharp. In a nod to the original G1 Frenzy, I hit up his eyes and other highlights with gold Uchida Marvy, which becomes a nice strong enamel once it dries.

I also drilled then carved out his little claws, although really it's a little pointless since he'll probably never leave RB's chest for any reason.

In conclusion... like this figure passably enough, I suppose... moreso than I did before I touched him up...though I swear, it would have taken SO LITTLE to make this figure really awesome -- just nice posable ball and socket joints on his feet, and trading the retarded Punching Arm gimmick for some actual HANDS that aren't molded into mittens. A shame, as he's my favorite character and design from the movie... C'mon Leader Barricade with articulated fingers!

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really like the head, your a whiz with those damn markers.

3. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    The police car you found from Germany is just a show car. It's not an official police car (http://www.tuningmag.net/?name=mercedes-brabus-rocket-police-car-tuning).
    German police cars are normally white/silver and green but blue stripes have found their way in, just like on this one:
    [​IMG]

But there are a lot of US police cars with a similar colourscheme NYPD, Gotham, Michigan, Kansas etc.

4. ShadowStitch

Thanks! But that's the thing -- they're not hard to use at ALL. Anyone can do these kinds of touchups without any real difficulty.

Uchida Marvy are basically just gloss enamel in a fine-tipped pen, and the sharpies are just metallic ink. Rubbing off excess ink to leave a patina or thinning the Marvy paint can lead to neat techniques and discoveries. And when you're done, the Goo-gone is also helpful for removing all the paint from your fingers! :lol 

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Pop that head up and he'll look better, nice job with the detailing

6. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Thank god for that! It's a monster of a car (been in one) but costs something like £230,000 (or $472,972 by todays exchange rate!)

Rich police force!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Awesome job! I especialy like Frenzy.

:thumb 

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nice!

9. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Slick touch-up man!

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

The paint washes on the robot parts look good. Not too sure about the dirty car mode, though.

Why is everybody talking about police cars? Look at Barricade's doors. This repaint is for a private security company.

11. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Damn - you made that toy buyable. If he came with that much detail Id get him - however I just find no real reason too...

~Z

12. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Because the OP mentioned in defence of the toys colour scheme that a Brabus converted Mercedes CLS was given exactly that look as a German police vehicle.

13. ShadowStitch

...and you can't tell me a German "POLIZEI" sticker on the door wouldn't be effin' SWEET. After all the hubbub in California, why couldn't Barricade lay low in Europe for a while, eh?

It would definitely add a new depth to what is essentially a boring repaint...too bad I don't have any adhesive label paper or testors inkjet water stickers lying around or I'd make it happen. Any more resourceful souls out there want to give it a whirl?

14. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Recon Barricade is a security guard car not a police car. If you look at the emblems on the side is says security.

Anyway, nice work on him.