Recommended Manga Thread...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Razerwire, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread about Manga so I decided start one...

Right now I'm reading "Yotsuba &!" I'm missing the fourth installment... Haven't seen it at any stores but it's been released since August...

It's by Azuma Kiyohiko of Azumanga Daioh fame... Personally I like Azumanga better, but this one's pretty good as well... I've only read the first three so I'm still getting to know the characters...

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I've been disapointed with Marvel for the past few years and find myself turning to manga recently. My current favorites include:

Rurouni Kenshin - Just amazing! Character development, action, humor, a tad of romance, historical setting, kickbutt sword battles. And we are finally getting to read the Jinchu/Revenge arc that never got animated. I highly recommend this for fans of comics/shows such as Batman, Highlander, Angel, and Zorro. The author also draws several character designs from X-Men. I'm also looking forward to Watsuki's next manga, Armored Alchemist, that will start in the US shortly after Kenshin is finished.

Ranma 1/2 - I'm actually trying to collect all the anime first, but this was my first introduction to manga. It's very funny with some cool martial arts. I still don't like the nudity though. I also wish the manga would come out faster. It's 38 volumes long and their only releasing one every three months or so, just finish it already!

W Juliet - What Ranma 1/2 might be if it were a shojo title. I love superheroes, but I like how manga has so many other genres as well. This manga about two actors pursuing their dream is sweet and funny.

Juline/Shaolin Sisters/Shaolin Sisters Reborn - Think Sailor Moon with martial arts. Actually the first part of the story, Juline, is an older title and will be re-released in Summer 2006. But each part of the trilogy can be read seperately.

The Legend of Chun Hyang - Only one volume based on a Korean legend, but a good intro to Clamp's artwork.

Scrapped Princess - It's different from the anime so far, but the main characters and premise are the same.

Vampire Game - an evil Vampire Lord is reincarned as a bratty princess's pet cat. Wacky and different. (I borrow this one from my friend.)

3. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Just posting to concur that Rurouni Kenshin is indeed really good, and I'd highly recommend it.

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Main manga I read with a passion is Berserk. Its got so much depth to it along with great action that I can't get enough. Monster is one of the few books that compare to it, imo, even though they are rather different. Full Metal Alchemist and Gantz are also among my favorites.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I don't get to get much manga anymore, but there are some that I like.

Drakkun: It's split into several miniseries. I've got bits and pieces of three of em, but they're really well done. It's got a great combo of fantasy and sci fi elements. Be warned though. It's not for kids. There's usually boobies in every issu at some point. It's surprisingly never really overdone though. Good for a nice epic war comic.

Street Fighter 2: Not the current ongoing. This was the first comic ever of it. It was a miniseries from the 90s. Good representations of the characters. An all around fun miniseries.

These aren't actual japanese books, but they're done in the same style.

Ninja Highscool: An all around fun series. Archie on crack, this comic was Tenchi Muyo before there was a Tenchi Muyo. The series was originally about a completely average teenage boy who ends up in some of the most insane adventures you'll ever see. Most of which involved a love triangle between himself, a female ninja, and an alien princess. After many years Ben Dunn did something that's all too rare in comics. He actually alowed time to pass. Begining with NHS v2, the comic began to focus on the original lead character's younger brother, who by this time is about the same age as his older brother was at the begining of the series. The book is even translated and sold in japan. Something I'm not sure hardly any "smaller" published books have done. This is definately a classic.

Gold Digger: Ben Dunn is called the father of american manga. Fred Perry is the friggin MAN! GD is my single favorite series of all time. Fred can and does do it all. He's written and drawn every single issue of GD (written and drawn 50 b/w issues + mini series and one shots. written, drawn, and colored 70+ color issues), personally drawn and animated 2 OVA's (preparing to work on the 3rd), has also written, drawn, and colored a series of TPB's, is the webmaster for the Antarctic Press website, does multiple and completely free online comic strips, and will even do a sketch for you at no charge at all! Now about the comics itself. GD is one of the best written books I've read in a very long time. It's kind of an Indiana Jones, D&D, sci fi, kung fu hybrid and it all fits together so perfectly.

Here's his site with the online strips.

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'm really enjoying the Neon Genesis Evangelion Magna. The basics are the same, but enough is changed that you almost think you're reading a different story at times. The main difference (IMHO) is that Shinji is actually a really likeable character in the Magna.

I'm also reading the Fullmetal Alchemist Magna. At first, the differences seem really minor and insignificant, but if you really compare it to the Anime, you'll notice it can go in a completely different direction if it wants. In fact, I first started reading it because I read that it has a totally different ending.

And yes, Ranma 1/2 is one of the funniest things you will ever read. I really wanna see the Anime sometime.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm trying to complete my Ranma 1/2 Anime collection... I love that series...

I also played the game on SNES... LOVE IT...:rock 

8. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

Bleech!

9. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Manga I'm reading right now:

Get Backers - prettyboy characters with awesome powers and skills, fighting with each other and having adventures. Okay, not the best description of GB I've ever done, but that's the gist. If you are liek most GB fans, you will read purely to watch Dr. Jackel... Quite possibly, the kewlest badguy in a manga in a good long while!

Hellsing - Apart from the standard "VAMPIRES ROCK", Hellsing's just a damn good read... not the best translation, but it's such a bloody, violent, insane read it can hook you in!

Naruto - Do I really need to say anything about this? No? Didn't think so... :p 

And I've just started to read Battle Vixens. Got the firts volume free with the anime boxset, which was quite nice. A little confusing to understand what's going on in some parts, but the artwork is really kewl and suits the story really well. Lots of boobies too! :p 

10. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

The only manga I continue to pick up with any degree of regularity these days is Blade of the Immortal through the fine folks at Dark Horse. It stands as one of my all-time favorite comic series, imported or otherwise. Samura's art, while looser, is vastly more emotive than during the early days, and his characters feel like real people, now that they have the benefit of 100+ issues of back development.

Lone Wolf and Cub was brilliant, I used to dig Berserk (the manga aside, that bizarre punk song playing over the end credits makes me happy).

I used to read a lot of Japanese comics, but lately (much to its credit), the American comic market has enough in the way of really strong, quirky books to effectively compete for my dollar again. Ex Machina, Y: The Last Man, Invincible, the manga-flavored Silent Dragon and Runaways, Powers, Girls, Fables, Ocean, Down, 100 Bullets, Fell, Planetary... The list goes on. Marvel has a couple hits in there, but the best stuff is currently coming out through DC's Vertigo and Wildstorm imprints. Wildstorm, honestly, has completely dazzled me with its quality of late, particularly the "Signature" line of books they produce. Image is getting surprisingly strong, as well. Gone are the days of Liefeld-inspired crap, and their line has gotten a lot more diverse and interesting.

I haven't got an endless supply of dollars floating around, so I'd much rather support the ever-flagging American industry whenever possible (the Japanese comic market seems to be doing just fine without my help).

Blade of the Immortal, though, remains an absolute must-buy every month.

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny you should mention NHS and GD. I wrote NHS from issue 76 for a year or so under the pen name Hiro-san. It was alot of fun to work with Ben and to pen a favorite book of mine for many years.

And yes, Fred Perry is all that and a bag of chips. The man is so tallented and humble at the same time. If you ever get a chance to meet him, do so. (and tell him Harold sent ya) Just to give an idea as to how cool fred is, inbetween all his other work, he took the time to do two of my Cybertronian covers. He even tossed me (and my dad) into the GD universe as actual characters. (Hiro and Clyde) I can not say enough good things about him.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Hellsing
    Battle Royale
    Battle Vixens

13. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Be a while since I've read any manga. The last titles I got were Rebirth #1 and .Hack #1. They werent bad, pretty good in fact. I think I am going to go today and get the next 2 .hack books. Plus I believe that Boarders is doing a buy 3 get one free deal. So maybe I'll check out Battle Vixens. Mmmmm fan service. :)  :thumbs2: 
    Whoops forgot I got the World of Warcraft Manga that came out.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I never really go into the whole manga thing. The only one I've ever read from start to finish was Love Hina, which was excellent. Quite good if your looking for a very silly but rather touching romantic comedy.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's so friggin cool! :rock 

I got a bunch of your NHS issues, and your GD apearance. The only other person I specifically know of he's put in the comic is Dragen, though I know there's many more. Remember him mentioning once how he loves putting his friends in there.

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sgt. Frog

Seriously now, hear me out. Sgt. Frog is an excellent comedy book. Light reading with enough humor and character driven plot to keep even my ADHD ass interested.
    It's comedy gold, quite frankly, and everyone should give it a try.

It really hits its stride when Kukuru and Giroro come around. Giroro's love/hate relationships with Natsumi and the jealously of Giroro's kitten are just so damned funny and interesting to read.

17. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

The FMA manga is brutal. It gets so incredibly boring around where the Japanese one is now. It's one instance where I actually prefer the anime to the manga.

And Keroro Gunsou (Sgt. Frog), very nice manga/anime !

18. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here are the titles I suggest:

.hack//Legend of the Twilight (Please avoid the anime version of this book because they added a horrible incest angle in it. This book is so much better in manga for and it has it's really comedic moments)

A.I. Love You (Ken Akamatsu's debut title, which is a very interesting read. His art style is still developing in this book and it's a dated title. It's still a great story none the less)

Ai Yori Aoshi (It's a harem manga, though it's story is really wonderful)

Battle Vixens (It's good for a laugh and the fan service)

Bleach (One of the 3 Kings of shonen manga)

Case Closed (A really good series that is overlooked too often)

Cardcaptor Sakura (Both of the manga series for this are good, and if you didn't like the Nelvana dub you'll like this series)

Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow (See above comments)

Chobits (A great title by CLAMP, it's a sweet story that is simply addictive)

Cowboy Bebop: Shooting Star (It's a reimagining of the CB world, though the characters personalities retain the same)

Death Note (Wonderfully scary and psychological at times)

Doubt!! (A good shoujo title, though not for those who don't like the drama of high)

Evangelion (I know the anime is really overrated, but I suggest you to pick up the manga. The direction, pacing, and storytelling are a lot better in it)

Full Moon o Sagashite (A really good shoujo title, that has me hooked)

Fullmetal Alchemist (Really good for far in the first 5 volumes, and it's different from the anime)

Genshiken (It's the story of a Visual Study group, also known as an anime/manga/video game/cosplay/plastic model/resin model group. It's a funny story, and the Del Rey notes help to explain somethings you might miss)

Gundam Seed (It's not bad at all, surprisingly since i'm watching the fan subs at the same time. It's different enough where you won't be ruined by viewing the anime first, since the story has different direction as well as pacing)

HunterxHunter (It's a very good shonen title, though I don't buy the GNs)

I's' (Really good shonen/shoujo mix)

Inuyasha (It's not a bad series...though I stop reading after Vol 5)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (It's very gorey, and dark...It's a series I will probably stop reading since I didn't enjoy the perverted Orangutan stand user that tried to molest a young girl -_-;; )

Kare First Love (It's an interesting shoujo book, and it revolves around the complexities of first love especially with the way people think today)

Kingdom Hearts (It's a great read even if you've played the games, it's unique in it's presentation and pacing)

Love Hina (Classic series that everyone should get)

Mahou Sensei Negima (Akamatsu's next major series, it's just incredible)

Naruto (One of the best shonen titles out there currently)

One Piece (It ties with Naruto and Bleach as the King of shonen manga)

Ranma 1/2 (I like this series though tracking down the books can be hard around Vol 5 -_-;; )

Rurouni Kenshin (It's a classic, and it's a must have in any collection)

Sailor Moon (This series is incredible in manga form, and please don't judge the manga based on the anime -_-;; )

Saikano (Ultimate Weapion Girlfriend, it's a sweet story though it has a lot of strong violent moments. I really recommend it if you like romance, though enjoy action as well.)

Tsubasa: Resivour Chronicle (CLAMP has really outdone themselves with this title, while characters return they are new characters in personality)

Ultimate Muscle (Viz does an excellent job on this title, and they keep faithful to the original Kinnukuman series. The names are more accurate and things are not altered for the sake of the 4Kids dub)

xxxHolic (CLAMP's tie-in story with Tsubasa, though you don't have to read Tsubasa or xxxHolic to enjoy the two manga)

Yu-Gi-Oh (This is the original series, and doesn't have much to do at all with the cards)

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duelist (It's not a bad title if you don't mind the card game elements, though if you don't enjoy those elements read either the regular Yu-Gi-Oh or Millenium World)

Yu-Gi-Oh: Millenium World (Delves into the past of the Pharaoh it's a good read, and skip Duelist if you don't like the card game part)

I also reccomend any of the Studio Chibli films manga, Appleseed, and Ghost in the Shell if you can track them down.

19. gil

gil Godmaster

I'm currently reading and enjoying:

Rurouni Kenshin
    Naruto
    Bleech
    Shaman King

20. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ugh, Incest FTL. Thanks for the heads up. BTW anyone read King of Hell? Looks good, but I havent tried it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.